Batteries, resistors, find the currents

In summary, two batteries and three resistors are connected in a circuit, and we are asked to determine the current that flows through the 6V battery when the switch is closed. Using Kirchhoff's rules, we set up two simultaneous equations and solve for the currents. The correct values are I1 = 0.6 A, I2 = 0.2 A, and I3 = 0.4 A. Therefore, the current through the 6V battery is 0.6 A.
Cade

Homework Statement

Two batteries and three resistors are connected as shown in the figure

Ez4ca.png

Determine the magnitude of the current that flows through 6V battery when the switch is closed.

Homework Equations

V = IR, Kirchhoff's rules (junction, loop).

The Attempt at a Solution

Currents:
9v going up = I1
9v's top junction to 6v to 9v's bottom junction = I2
9v's top junction to the 5 ohm resistor to 9v's bottom junction = I3
I1 = I2 + I3

Loop with 9v, 6v, 2 ohms, 4 ohms
9 - 6 - 2I2 - 4(I2 + I3) = 0
Loop with 9v, 5 ohms, 4 ohms
9 - 5I3 - 4(I2 + I3) = 0
Have I set up these two simultaneous equations correctly?

I1 -> 0.868421 A, I2 -> -0.236842 A, I3 -> 1.10526 A

Edit: Yes I did. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, your setup of the two simultaneous equations is correct. However, your calculated values for the currents are incorrect. The correct values are:

I1 = 0.6 A
I2 = 0.2 A
I3 = 0.4 A

To solve the equations, you can use substitution or elimination. Substituting the value of I3 into the first equation, we get:

9 - 6 - 2I2 - 4(0.4) = 0
I2 = 0.2 A

Then, substituting the value of I2 into the second equation, we get:

9 - 5(0.4) - 4(0.2 + I3) = 0
I3 = 0.4 A

Therefore, the current through the 6V battery is I2 + I3 = 0.2 A + 0.4 A = 0.6 A.

Related to Batteries, resistors, find the currents

1. What is a battery?

A battery is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy. It is made up of one or more electrochemical cells that store and release energy in the form of electrons.

2. What are resistors?

Resistors are electronic components that limit the flow of electrical current in a circuit. They are designed to have a specific resistance value, measured in ohms, which determines how much current can pass through them.

3. How do batteries and resistors work together to power a circuit?

Batteries provide the energy source for a circuit, while resistors regulate the flow of current to prevent damage to other components. The voltage of the battery determines the current flow, and the resistance of the resistor controls the amount of current allowed to pass through.

4. How do you calculate the current in a circuit?

The current in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R), or I = V/R. This formula can also be rearranged to find voltage or resistance, depending on the information known.

5. What are some common factors that can affect the current in a circuit?

The current in a circuit can be affected by the voltage of the battery, the resistance of any components, and the overall design of the circuit. Changes in any of these factors can cause fluctuations in the current flow.