Can I Program a Cell Phone Charger to Optimize Battery Life?

In summary, the person is asking if it is possible to program a cell phone charger to only start charging at 20% and stop at 99% to prolong the life of Li-Ion batteries. They are also asking for a simple explanation on how to do this for iPhones and Galaxies. The responder suggests that this may not be the best idea for Li-Ion batteries and suggests maximizing battery life by running off the charger whenever possible. They also mention that it may be difficult to change the charger code without rooting the device.
Brandon Moore
Hi guys I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this but I couldn't find anywhere else.

Would it be possible to program a cell phone charger to detect when a phone is at 20% and then it will start charging? But it won't start charging before 20%. Then it will charge it up to 99% and then stop charging until the phone reaches 20% again.

Let me know if you have an idea how to go about this. Specifically for iPhones and Galaxies, etc. The most popular phones.
Even if you can't give me specifics maybe just give me an idea of how to do it? I am not a programmer so maybe try to keep the lingo somewhat easy for me to understand, Thanks!

-Brandon

Engineering news on Phys.org
Brandon Moore said:
Would it be possible to program a cell phone charger to detect when a phone is at 20% and then it will start charging? But it won't start charging before 20%. Then it will charge it up to 99% and then stop charging until the phone reaches 20% again.
In the bad old days with NiCd and NiMH batteries that was the hallmark of an advanced charger. Now, with Li-Ion batteries, such a charger would most likely shorten the lifetime of the batteries.

Can you share the reason you want to do that?

I've read that LI-Ion batteries have the longest life at 70%. Discharging them deeper does decrease their life, but I don't know how much.
Li-ion lifetime is related to the total charge amout. If you run off the charger whenever it is connected you maximize Li life.

I know no way to get at the charger code short of rooting your device.

1. What is battery programming?

Battery programming is the process of creating software that manages and monitors the performance of batteries. This includes tasks such as controlling charging and discharging, optimizing battery usage, and detecting any potential issues or malfunctions.

2. Why is battery programming important?

Battery programming is crucial for ensuring the safe and efficient operation of batteries. It also helps to extend their lifespan and improve their overall performance. With the increasing use of batteries in various devices and industries, proper programming is essential for maximizing their potential.

3. What are the key considerations in battery programming?

Some key factors to consider in battery programming include the type of battery being used, its capacity and voltage, the intended use and environment, and any safety regulations or standards that need to be met. It is also important to carefully monitor and analyze battery performance data to continuously improve the programming.

4. How does battery programming impact battery life?

Battery programming has a significant impact on battery life. Proper programming can help to prevent overcharging and over-discharging, which can both decrease the lifespan of a battery. It can also help to optimize charging cycles and manage temperature, which can extend the overall life of a battery.

5. What are some common challenges in battery programming?

Some common challenges in battery programming include balancing the trade-offs between battery performance and lifespan, as well as managing the complexity of battery systems and their interactions with other components. Ensuring compatibility with different types of batteries and constantly adapting to new technologies and advancements can also pose challenges.