Battery Sizing for AC System: What Factors Should Be Considered?

In summary, the conversation is regarding the sizing of DC lithium-ion batteries to power a system with the following specifications: 90KVA, 200/115 Volts AC, 400 Hz, 3-phase. The individual is currently looking at utilizing Nissan Leaf battery packs with a capacity of approximately 24 kWh, but is unsure if it will be enough based on their calculations. They provide their calculations, which indicate a needed capacity of at least 280 kWh for two hours of operation. Others provide feedback and suggest that the load may not use the full 90 KVA and that the battery technology must match the UPS system. They also mention that in an AC system, KVA can have no real power, but in a DC system (
Jeza43
Hi,

Interested in sizing some DC lithium-ion batteries (through a controller) to power the following system: 90KVA, 200/115 Volts AC, 400 Hz, 3-phase.

The current approaches I've taken have been drastically oversized so I'm clearly missing something.

Cheers,
J.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How long does it need to produce 90 kva?

My understanding is that Tesla does 88kvah by paralleling thousands of small standard cells...

Jeza43 said:
Hi,

Interested in sizing some DC lithium-ion batteries (through a controller) to power the following system: 90KVA, 200/115 Volts AC, 400 Hz, 3-phase.

The current approaches I've taken have been drastically oversized so I'm clearly missing something.

Cheers,
J.
Perhaps show us your calculations. They might be correct.

russ_watters said:
How long does it need to produce 90 kva?

My understanding is that Tesla does 88kvah by paralleling thousands of small standard cells...
It needs to produce for around two hours, yes I'm currently looking at utilizing Nissan Leaf battery packs which have a capacity of approximately 24 kWh.

To elaborate, CWatters, I'll step you through my process back to front. To obtain the effective power derived from the AC system I calculated the rms current and voltage, which then using a power factor of 0.9 (assumption as cannot find specific to the system) and a added factor of sqrt(3) for the three-phase aspect provided the following:

V_rms=V_max / sqrt(2) = 200 V/sqrt(2)=141.4 V
I_rms=90 KVA / V_rms = 636.4 A
P_eff = V_rms * I_rms * PF * sqrt(3) = 140 kW

Which would indicate for two hours of operation I would need a capacity of at least 280 kWh.

Any feedback would be appreciated, come from a mechanical background so am not confident with my methodology.
Cheers,
J.

Jeza43 said:
To elaborate, CWatters, I'll step you through my process back to front. To obtain the effective power derived from the AC system I calculated the rms current and voltage, which then using a power factor of 0.9 (assumption as cannot find specific to the system) and a added factor of sqrt(3) for the three-phase aspect provided the following:

V_rms=V_max / sqrt(2) = 200 V/sqrt(2)=141.4 V
I_rms=90 KVA / V_rms = 636.4 A
P_eff = V_rms * I_rms * PF * sqrt(3) = 140 kW

Which would indicate for two hours of operation I would need a capacity of at least 280 kWh.

Any feedback would be appreciated, come from a mechanical background so am not confident with my methodology.
Cheers,
J.
I would think you are given voltage in RMS (it almost always is), but I'm not familiar with a 200V system...

In either case, since you already have kVa, you don't need to do anything other than correct it for power factor: 90*.9=81 kW...and for 2 hours, is 162 kWh.

Likes CWatters
russ_watters said:
I would think you are given voltage in RMS (it almost always is), but I'm not familiar with a 200V system...

In either case, since you already have kVa, you don't need to do anything other than correct it for power factor: 90*.9=81 kW...and for 2 hours, is 162 kWh.

Thanks for the feedback russ_waters, still larger than I was expecting but it's good to know the maths is sound.
Cheers,
J.

Not enough info:

What is the "system" - 90 KVA may be the rating but at what rate does it use real power, not just Watts vs LVA, but I doubt it runs at FULL power for 2 hours. That spec looks like a UPS? -- The UPS, if it is controlling the battery, needs to be connected to the same battery technology. So if it was built for Lead Acid - you can not just change it to LiPO. The issue is the charging of the LiPo - discharge not as much of a concern.

The load - may use 90 KVA and use very little power - so the system can be running at maximum rating, but the battery supplying little power.

In an AC system - KVA can be "no" real power, but a confusing point is that in a DC system ( battery) - VA is effectively the real power. Batteries are rated in Amp-Hours, but you have to look at the datasheet to see where this rating was developed, the RATE of discharge affects the total A-H delivered, and the rating is to what Voltage.

What is battery sizing for AC system?

Battery sizing for AC system refers to the process of determining the appropriate battery capacity and type to power an AC system based on its energy requirements and usage patterns.

Why is battery sizing important for AC systems?

Battery sizing is important for AC systems because it ensures that the system has enough power to operate effectively and efficiently. An undersized battery can lead to frequent power outages and malfunctions, while an oversized battery can be costly and inefficient.

What factors are considered when sizing a battery for an AC system?

The main factors to consider when sizing a battery for an AC system include the AC system's power consumption, operating voltage, frequency of use, and duration of use. Other factors such as temperature, charging and discharging rates, and battery chemistry may also affect the sizing process.

How do you calculate the battery size for an AC system?

The battery size for an AC system can be calculated by dividing the total energy consumption of the AC system by the battery's voltage and the desired level of depth of discharge. For example, if an AC system consumes 10kWh of energy, and the desired depth of discharge is 50%, then a 20kWh battery is needed (10kWh / 0.5 = 20kWh).

Are there different types of batteries that can be used for AC systems?

Yes, there are various types of batteries that can be used for AC systems, such as lead-acid, lithium-ion, and nickel-based batteries. The choice of battery type depends on factors such as cost, energy density, and cycle life, among others.