Bayes theorem, answer way too small something wrong?

In summary, the probability of a person having the disease given a positive result is only 0.0472, which is much lower than expected due to the high rate of false positives in the test. This is due to the combination of a low overall incidence of the disease and a high rate of false positives in the test. This can also be seen by calculating the percentage of false positives out of all positives, which in this case is 100%. This is why some tests, such as those for doping or drugs, use multiple stages to decrease the rate of false positives and increase the accuracy of the results.
ilyas.h
im sure i followed it correctly but my answer is unusually small...1 in a thousand people have a disease. A company has discovered a new method for testing for the disease.
If a person has the disease, the test will return a +ve result 99% of the time.
If a person doesn't have the disease, the test will return a +ve result 2% of the time.

what is the probability of a person having the disease, given that they have a +ve result?

components:

D = 0.001 (1 in a 1000...)
P(+ve | D) = 0.99
P(+ve | not D) = 0.02

asked to find: P(D | +ve).

Formula (bayes theorem):

P(D | +ve) =

P(D)P(+ve | D)
-----------------------------------------------------
P(D)P(+ve | D) + P(not D)P(+ve | not D)if you plug in the values you get P(D | +ve) = 0.0472

this is clearly too small, if the result was +ve, you'd expect a substantial amount of the +ve cohort to actually have the disease. I've checked the formula 100 times and everything seems correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct. Think of it this way. Suppose I test 1000 people, chosen at random. On the average, 1 of these people will have the disease, and 999 people will not. The test will probably (99% of the time) give a positive result for the one person who has the disease, but it will also give a positive result for 2% of the 999 people who don't have the disease. So there will be about 20 false positives (2% of 999). So, if you get a positive result, there is only about a 1/21 (4.7%) chance that you actually have the disease. This is the point of the exercise, since the result is so different from your intuition. Does this make sense?

phyzguy said:
Your answer is correct. Think of it this way. Suppose I test 1000 people, chosen at random. On the average, 1 of these people will have the disease, and 999 people will not. The test will probably (99% of the time) give a positive result for the one person who has the disease, but it will also give a positive result for 2% of the 999 people who don't have the disease. So there will be about 20 false positives (2% of 999). So, if you get a positive result, there is only about a 1/21 (4.7%) chance that you actually have the disease. This is the point of the exercise, since the result is so different from your intuition. Does this make sense?

oh, i understand.

only a small number of people of the thousand will have a +ve result.

1 x 0.99 + 999 x 0.02 = [0.99] + [19.98]

so 0.99 people will have the disease given +ve result (estimate).
19.98 people will not have disease given +ve result (estimate).

so of the +ve people:

0.99/ ([0.99] + [19.98]) = 0.0472

is my logic correct? thanks for your help.

ilyas.h said:
oh, i understand.

only a small number of people of the thousand will have a +ve result.

1 x 0.99 + 999 x 0.02 = [0.99] + [19.98]

so 0.99 people will have the disease given +ve result (estimate).
19.98 people will not have disease given +ve result (estimate).

so of the +ve people:

0.99/ ([0.99] + [19.98]) = 0.0472

is my logic correct? thanks for your help.

Yes, that's correct. It's interesting how unintuitive this is.

Here's another way of looking at it. Suppose no-one had the disease (or almost no-one), what would be the percentage of false positives out of all positives?

PeroK said:
Yes, that's correct. It's interesting how unintuitive this is.

Here's another way of looking at it. Suppose no-one had the disease (or almost no-one), what would be the percentage of false positives out of all positives?

wouldn't it just be 20 in this case?

no one has disease, 0/02 x 1000 = 20.

ilyas.h said:
wouldn't it just be 20 in this case?

no one has disease, 0/02 x 1000 = 20.

The point is that 100% of the positives are false.

As a side point: this is one of the reason many older tests (for doping or drugs, say) were two-stage or more tests. A person is randomly selected and gives a sample: that sample is randomly spit into two (for a two-stage test), one is randomly selected and tested. If that test returns negative the second portion is destroyed. If the first sample tests positive the second sample is tested, and if it tests positive there is a very high probability of drugs. Why? Because the only people who make it to the second round of testing are those who had a first sample test positive: a huge percentage of "clean" subjects are eliminated.

Related to Bayes theorem, answer way too small something wrong?

What is Bayes theorem?

Bayes theorem is a mathematical formula used to calculate the probability of an event occurring based on prior knowledge or information.

How is Bayes theorem used in science?

Bayes theorem is used in science to update beliefs about a hypothesis or theory as new evidence is gathered. It is also used to make predictions and decisions based on uncertain information.

What is the difference between Bayes theorem and traditional statistics?

Bayes theorem incorporates prior knowledge or beliefs into the calculation of probability, while traditional statistics does not. This allows for updating of beliefs as new information is obtained, making it more applicable to real-world scenarios.

What are some common misconceptions about Bayes theorem?

One common misconception is that it can only be used in situations with a lot of data, when in reality it can be used with any amount of data. Another misconception is that it is only applicable to binary outcomes, when it can actually be used for multivariate outcomes as well.

What are some practical applications of Bayes theorem?

Bayes theorem has many practical applications, including medical diagnosis, spam filtering, and speech recognition. It is also used in machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms.