Bead moving down a Helical Wire subject to Constraints

deuteron
Homework Statement
What is the constraint for the bead on a helix wire moving under gravitation ignoring friction?
Relevant Equations
##q=\{r,\phi,z\}\ \hat=## cylindrical coordinates
One of the constraints is given as ##r=R##, which is very obvious. The second constraint is however given as

$$\phi - \frac {2\pi} h z=0$$

where ##h## is the increase of ##z## in one turn of the helix. Physically, I can't see where this constraint comes from and how ##\phi=\frac {2\pi}h z##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think ##h## is the total height of the helix, since it has a constant slope, ##\phi## is the angle turned as a function of the vertical position ##z##

Is there a digram of the helix that would contradict that?

Last edited:
I think h is the pitch.

Likes Lnewqban
Gordianus said:
I think h is the pitch.
I agree.

@deuteron
Please, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindrical_coordinate_system

Cylindrical.png

Last edited:
Lnewqban said:
I agree.
Can you explain the ##2 \pi## in the numerator? The pitch is the vertical rise per unit angle turned. So lets say the pitch is ## h = \frac{1 \text{[m]}}{ 2 \pi \text{[rad]}}##, if we let ##z## be ##1 \text{[m]} ##, then the angle turned ##\phi## would be ## 4 \pi^2 \text{[rad]} ## according to the formula...that seems to be a contradiction?

Last edited:
erobz said:
I think ##h## is the total height of the helix, since it has a constant slope, ##\phi## is the angle turned as a function of the vertical position ##z##

Is there a digram of the helix that would contradict that?
There isn't a diagram but I edited the question to clarify what ##h## is, it is given as the increase of ##z## in one turn

deuteron said:
There isn't a diagram but I edited the question to clarify what ##h## is, it is given as the increase of ##z## in one turn
So if ##h## is indeed the pitch, am I having a brain fart in post #5?

erobz said:
Can you explain the ##2 \pi## in the numerator? The pitch is the vertical rise per unit angle turned. So lets say the pitch is ## h = \frac{1 \text{[m]}}{ 2 \pi \text{[rad]}}##, if we let ##z## be ##1 \text{[m]} ##, then the angle turned ##\phi## would be ## 4 \pi^2 \text{[rad]} ## according to the formula...that seems to be a contradiction?
Wrong definition of pitch. From Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helix):
"The pitch of a helix is the height of one complete helix turn, measured parallel to the axis of the helix." (Emphasis added.)

renormalize said:
Wrong definition of pitch. From Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helix):
"The pitch of a helix is the height of one complete helix turn, measured parallel to the axis of the helix." (Emphasis added.)
I guess I should have checked the definition. Thanks. @deuteron sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd
erobz said:
Can you explain the ##2 \pi## in the numerator?
Hi @erobz
Sorry about delayed answer.
Is this still confusing?
I agreed because I believed that the values of h and z should be equal for one full turn (2π radians) or rotation of the particle.

Lnewqban said:
Hi @erobz
Sorry about delayed answer.
Is this still confusing?
I agreed because I believed that the values of h and z should be equal for one full turn (2π radians) or rotation of the particle.
@renormalize set me straight. I assumed an incorrect definition of pitch for a helix. I don't know if its still confusing for the OP @deuteron however?

Likes Lnewqban
Sorry for the late reply, it is clear now! Thanks everyone!

Likes Lnewqban and erobz

1. What is the purpose of studying the movement of a bead down a helical wire subject to constraints?

The purpose of studying this phenomenon is to better understand the principles of constrained motion and how it applies to real-world scenarios. It can also help in the design and optimization of systems that involve constrained motion, such as conveyor belts or robotic arms.

2. What are the main constraints that affect the movement of the bead?

The main constraints that affect the movement of the bead are the helical shape of the wire, the friction between the bead and the wire, and the force of gravity pulling the bead down.

3. How does the angle of the helical wire affect the movement of the bead?

The angle of the helical wire can greatly impact the movement of the bead. A steeper angle will result in a faster descent of the bead, while a shallower angle will slow down the descent. This is because the steeper angle increases the component of gravity pulling the bead down, while the shallower angle decreases it.

4. Can the speed of the bead be controlled in this system?

Yes, the speed of the bead can be controlled by adjusting the constraints. For example, increasing the friction between the bead and the wire will slow down the descent, while decreasing the friction will speed it up. Additionally, changing the angle of the wire or the mass of the bead can also affect the speed of descent.

5. How does the diameter of the wire affect the movement of the bead?

The diameter of the wire can affect the movement of the bead in two ways. First, a larger diameter wire will provide more surface area for the bead to roll on, resulting in less friction and a faster descent. Second, a larger diameter wire will have a larger radius, which will affect the curvature of the helix and potentially change the angle of the wire, thus impacting the movement of the bead.