Bead slides on a spinning hoop

In summary, there is a discrepancy between the results obtained using two different methods for determining the speed of a bead moving along a circular hoop. One method involves using the Lagrangian equation and the other method involves using the relative velocity equation. This discrepancy is due to the fact that the tangential velocities from both methods are not always parallel, resulting in different speed calculations. To solve this problem, a non-rotating reference frame moving with the center of the hoop can be used to accurately calculate the velocity of the bead.
Kelly Lin

Homework Statement

Ih3O3aL.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know we can solve it by letting
[tex]
x=acos(\omega t)+acos(\theta+\omega t)\\
y=asin(\omega t)+asin(\theta +\omega t)
[/tex]
and put their derivatives into the Lagrangian.

But, I want to check the other points of view whether it is wrong or something else is missing.
[tex]
a\dot{\theta} = v_{\text{bead}}-v_{\text{hoop}}\\
v_{\text{bead}} = a\dot{\theta}+ a\omega
[/tex]
Thus, the Lagrangian will be
[tex]
L=\frac{1}{2}m(a\dot{\theta}+ a\omega)^{2}
[/tex]
But, there is a huge difference between two results. Can someone enlighten me? THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
Kelly Lin said:
[tex]a\dot{\theta} = v_{\text{bead}}-v_{\text{hoop}}\\
v_{\text{bead}} = a\dot{\theta}+ a\omega
[/tex]
You can see that something's wrong here by looking at special cases. For example, suppose the bead remains located at the end of the diameter that passes through the origin of the coordinate system. Then ##\theta = 0 = \text{constant}##. Your result wold then say that ##v_{\text{bead}} = a\omega##. But the speed of the bead in this case would actually be ##2a\omega##.

The relative velocity equation can be written as a vector equation: $$\vec v_{\text{bead/XYZ}} = \vec v_{\text{bead/C}} + \vec v_{C/\text{XYZ}}$$ where

##\vec v_{\text{bead/XYZ}}## = the velocity of the bead relative to the fixed XYZ coordinate system

##\vec v_{\text{bead/C}} ## = the velocity of the bead relative to a non-rotating reference frame moving with the center of the circular hoop

##\vec v_{C/XYZ} ## = the velocity of the center of the hoop with respect to the fixed XYZ coordinate system.

TSny said:
You can see that something's wrong here by looking at special cases. For example, suppose the bead remains located at the end of the diameter that passes through the origin of the coordinate system. Then ##\theta = 0 = \text{constant}##. Your result wold then say that ##v_{\text{bead}} = a\omega##. But the speed of the bead in this case would actually be ##2a\omega##.

The relative velocity equation can be written as a vector equation: $$\vec v_{\text{bead/XYZ}} = \vec v_{\text{bead/C}} + \vec v_{C/\text{XYZ}}$$ where

##\vec v_{\text{bead/XYZ}}## = the velocity of the bead relative to the fixed XYZ coordinate system

##\vec v_{\text{bead/C}} ## = the velocity of the bead relative to a non-rotating reference frame moving with the center of the circular hoop

##\vec v_{C/XYZ} ## = the velocity of the center of the hoop with respect to the fixed XYZ coordinate system.
Is it because the direction of the tangential velocity is always changing? Thus, my equations will only be satisfied when the tangential velocities from both of them are parallel.

Kelly Lin said:
Is it because the direction of the tangential velocity is always changing? Thus, my equations will only be satisfied when the tangential velocities from both of them are parallel.
Even when the tangential velocities due to ##\omega## and ##\dot \theta## are parallel, your formula would not give the correct speed for the bead. When the bead is instantaneously at ##\theta = 0##, the speed of the bead would be ## a\dot \theta + 2a\omega##; whereas, your formula gives ## a\dot \theta + a\omega##.

Note that if the bead is at rest with respect to the hoop and is located at the end of the diameter that passes through the origin (i.e., ##\theta = 0##) the bead would have a speed of ##2a\omega## since the bead would be moving in a circle of radius ##2a## with angular speed ##\omega##.

TSny said:
Even when the tangential velocities due to ##\omega## and ##\dot \theta## are parallel, your formula would not give the correct speed for the bead. When the bead is instantaneously at ##\theta = 0##, the speed of the bead would be ## a\dot \theta + 2a\omega##; whereas, your formula gives ## a\dot \theta + a\omega##.

Note that if the bead is at rest with respect to the hoop and is located at the end of the diameter that passes through the origin (i.e., ##\theta = 0##) the bead would have a speed of ##2a\omega## since the bead would be moving in a circle of radius ##2a## with angular speed ##\omega##.
How about " the velocity of the bead relative to a non-rotating reference frame moving with the center of the circular hoop". The center of the circular hoop also rotates, so how can I find a non-rotating reference that is moving as the center of the circular hoop?
Sorry! I still don't get it! I still don't know how to use the relative velocity to solve this question.

Kelly Lin said:
how can I find a non-rotating reference that is moving as the center of the circular hoop?
upload_2017-8-11_23-40-40.png

In the figure above, the origin of the primed axes (blue) moves with the center of the hoop. But these axes do not rotate relative to the earth. The primed axes remain parallel to the unprimed axes as the hoop rotates.

The velocity of the bead relative to the Earth can be written as $$\vec v_{\text{bead/xyz}} = \vec v_{\text{bead/x'y'z'}} + \vec v_{C/\text{xyz}}$$ The first velocity on the right is the velocity of the bead relative to the primed axes and the second velocity vector on the right is the velocity of the center of the hoop relative to the unprimed axes. These velocity vectors are shown below in green and orange. The velocity of the bead relative to the Earth is the sum of these two vectors.

upload_2017-8-11_23-52-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-11_23-40-36.png
    upload_2017-8-11_23-40-36.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 419
TSny said:
View attachment 208816

In the figure above, the origin of the primed axes (blue) moves with the center of the hoop. But these axes do not rotate relative to the earth. The primed axes remain parallel to the unprimed axes as the hoop rotates.

The velocity of the bead relative to the Earth can be written as $$\vec v_{\text{bead/xyz}} = \vec v_{\text{bead/x'y'z'}} + \vec v_{C/\text{xyz}}$$ The first velocity on the right is the velocity of the bead relative to the primed axes and the second velocity vector on the right is the velocity of the center of the hoop relative to the unprimed axes. These velocity vectors are shown below in green and orange. The velocity of the bead relative to the Earth is the sum of these two vectors.

View attachment 208819
Thank you very much for your diagrams!
I got it! The relative velocity of the bead is [tex]a(\dot{\theta}+\omega)[/tex]!
Thanks again!

Kelly Lin said:
I got it! The relative velocity of the bead is [tex]a(\dot{\theta}+\omega)[/tex]!
Yes. That's the magnitude.

What is the concept behind a bead sliding on a spinning hoop?

The concept behind a bead sliding on a spinning hoop is based on the principles of centrifugal force and friction. As the hoop spins, the bead experiences an outward force due to centrifugal force and a downward force due to gravity. The friction between the bead and the hoop's surface allows the bead to slide along the hoop's path.

What factors affect the speed of the bead on a spinning hoop?

The speed of the bead on a spinning hoop can be affected by several factors, such as the speed at which the hoop is spinning, the size and weight of the bead, the surface texture of the hoop, and the amount of friction between the bead and the hoop's surface.

How does the position of the bead change as the hoop spins?

As the hoop spins, the position of the bead changes in a circular motion along the hoop's path. The bead will move towards the outer edge of the hoop due to centrifugal force, and then slide back towards the center due to gravity and friction. This creates a back and forth motion of the bead along the hoop's surface.

Can the direction of the bead's movement on a spinning hoop be reversed?

Yes, the direction of the bead's movement on a spinning hoop can be reversed by changing the direction of the hoop's spin. If the hoop is spun in the opposite direction, the bead will move in the opposite direction along the hoop's path.

What other factors can affect the movement of the bead on a spinning hoop?

In addition to the factors mentioned earlier, other factors that can affect the movement of the bead on a spinning hoop include the shape of the hoop (e.g. circular, oval, etc.), the angle at which the hoop is held, and any external forces acting on the bead, such as air resistance.