Position vs Time Graph: Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary: This is a useful identity to know when working with trig functions and waves.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which the answers for (b) and (c) are correct, but the given answer for (a) is incorrect. The OP correctly solved for (a) using the cos form, while the textbook uses the sin form. A useful identity to know is that cos is essentially a left shifted sin graph by π/2 radians, and vice versa.
Dorian

Homework Statement

[see attached photo]

I seek specific help with (a) only. The answers to this question are provided in the back of the textbook, so I know the answers (I hope).

Homework Equations

##x(t)=Acos(\omega t+\phi _{0}),##

##v_{x}(t)=-A\omega sin(\omega t+\phi _{0})=-v_{max}sin(\omega t+\phi _{0}),##

##v_{max}=\frac{2\pi A}{T}##

The Attempt at a Solution

For (b), I got ##v_{x}(0)=13.6 \frac{cm}{s}##

For (c), I got ##v_{max}=15.7 \frac{cm}{s}##

Both of these answers are correct, according to the back of the textbook

For (a) (the phase constant), however, the back of the book says the correct answer is ##\phi _{0}=-\frac{2\pi}{3}##

I got: ##\frac{1}{2}A=Acos(\phi _{0})\Rightarrow cos^{-1}(\frac{1}{2})=\phi _{0}=\pm \frac{\pi}{3}##, for which I got ##-\frac{\pi}{3}## since it's moving to the right at ##t=0 s##

With this answer, I was able to acquire the right answers for (b) and (c). Furthermore, I was able to accurately graph the same graph provided in the text using my answer, but not so with the answer given in the textbook. I'm lost, really. Can someone please help point something out that I'm missing?

Attachments

• 15.7 question randall knight 4th.png
    15.7 question randall knight 4th.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 816
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your solution. As a check, if we go 1/6 of a wavelength to the right of the origin we hit the peak. cos(π/3-π/3)=cos(0)=1.

Arguably one can show equivalence between ## cos(ωt-π/3) ## and ## -sin(ωt-2π/3) ##

neilparker62 said:
Arguably one can show equivalence between ## cos(ωt-π/3) ## and ## -sin(ωt-2π/3) ##
The standard seems to be the cos form. It certainly appears that this is what the OP has been taught.

haruspex said:
The standard seems to be the cos form. It certainly appears that this is what the OP has been taught.
Yes. Anyway I think I've got that wrong - too used to working in degrees! $$cos(ωt-π/3) = sin(5π/6-ωt)=-sin(ωt-5π/6)$$

Thank you both for your help! And yes, the cos is what's in the textbook, although I remember from a trigonometry textbook I used once upon a time that both cos and sin can work.

Dorian said:
both cos and sin can work.
Sure, but in order to define the phase you need to know which is to be used.

haruspex said:
Sure, but in order to define the phase you need to know which is to be used.

I'm aware :) Thanks!

I'm more concerned that the textbook had a wrong answer (if this is in fact the case), which made me question my understanding in an unproductive way.

In essence a cos graph is essentially a sin graph left shifted ## π/2 ## radians. Thus we may right the following equivalences:

$$ cos(wt + ∅) = sin(wt + ∅ + π/2) $$ and $$ sin(ωt + ∅)=cos(ωt+∅-π/2) $$

What is a position vs time graph?

A position vs time graph is a visual representation of the motion of an object over time. The horizontal axis represents time and the vertical axis represents the position of the object.

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, with a constant amplitude and period.

How can you tell if a position vs time graph represents simple harmonic motion?

If a position vs time graph is a smooth, sinusoidal curve, it represents simple harmonic motion. The amplitude and period of the oscillation can also be used to determine if the motion is simple harmonic.

What factors affect the shape of a position vs time graph for simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude and period of the oscillation are the main factors that affect the shape of a position vs time graph for simple harmonic motion. Other factors that may affect the shape include the mass of the object, the force acting on the object, and any external forces that may be present.

How is the velocity of an object related to its position vs time graph in simple harmonic motion?

The velocity of an object in simple harmonic motion is directly related to the slope of its position vs time graph. When the position is at its maximum or minimum, the velocity is zero. When the position is at the equilibrium point, the velocity is at its maximum. The velocity and position are always out of phase by 90 degrees in simple harmonic motion.