Beam Bending, beyond the basics, a little

In summary, the conversation is about beam bending equations and how to approach other cross sections, such as a channel or I-beam. The main focus is on calculating the MOI for different cross sections, and finding helpful online resources for this task. The conversation ends with a recommendation for a specific website that provides formulas for common cross sections.
mechdesign2k4
Ok, I am fairly comfortable with beam bending equations for simple rectangles. However, I am totally confused on how to approach other cross sections... like a channel can someone help? Or point me to a good online instructional resource? I have googled all I can think of...

-Mark

Engineering news on Phys.org
What else are you changing other than the cross sectional MOI?

For simple beam bending calculations, all you have to do is calculate the MOI for the section. Whether its an I-beam or a circular tube, all of the beam equations are the same (although some stress distributions may change).

Thanks! I must have been over thinking it. I was sort of approaching it as taking each side of the tube, and top and bottom, calculating MOI for each...and adding them together. Thanks for the help!

Great forum!

-Mark

mechdesign2k4 said:
Thanks! I must have been over thinking it. I was sort of approaching it as taking each side of the tube, and top and bottom, calculating MOI for each...and adding them together. Thanks for the help!

That's pretty close to how you would calculate the MOI, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_moment_of_area

...but for common cross-sections like an I-beam, formulas for it's section properties have already been calculated in detail, you just have to find them. Here is one resource: http://www.efunda.com/math/areas/Common_Cross_Section_Index.cfm

Thanks again!

Related to Beam Bending, beyond the basics, a little

1. What is beam bending?

Beam bending is the process of applying a force to a beam, causing it to deform and bend. This is a common phenomenon in engineering and physics, where beams are often used to support loads and transfer forces.

2. How is beam bending different from beam deflection?

Beam bending and beam deflection are related but distinct concepts. Beam bending refers to the physical deformation of a beam due to applied forces, while beam deflection refers to the displacement or movement of a beam from its original position.

3. What factors affect beam bending?

The amount of force applied, the type of material the beam is made of, the shape and size of the beam, and the distance between supports all affect beam bending. Other factors such as temperature, moisture, and external vibrations can also impact beam bending.

4. What are some real-world applications of beam bending?

Beam bending is commonly used in construction and architecture, where beams are used to support structures such as buildings, bridges, and roofs. It is also used in the design of many everyday objects, such as furniture, bicycles, and car frames.

5. How is beam bending calculated and analyzed?

Beam bending can be calculated and analyzed using mathematical equations and principles of mechanics, such as Hooke's law and the moment of inertia. There are also computer software programs and simulations that can be used to model and predict beam bending behavior.