Beam splitter with single photons

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a source emits single photons at a constant wavelength and angular frequency. These photons hit a beam splitter and are then reflected by mirrors. The question posed is what happens when the photon hits the beam splitter, what happens at point x, and what is the probability of detecting a photon there. The suggested solution is to consider the wave properties of light rather than the quantum properties, leading to the possibility of a standing wave pattern at point x.
physmatics

Homework Statement

Fysikbild.png

So we have a source (OP) that emits single photons of a constant wavelength and angular frequency. The photons hit a 50-50 beam splitter, and are then reflected in the mirrors. Where is says (L) ou (SP) (yay for studying in French!) there is a beam splitter.

What I want to know basically is what happens. What happens when the photon hits the beam splitter? What happens at point x, and what is the probability of detecting a photon there?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it will become a standing wave, but how does that work with only one photon? Does the photon split itself when traversing the beam splitter? What happens in that case when the two waves meet at the point x, and what is the probability of detecting a photon there?

I would be more than happy if anyone could answer this, as I haven't been able to found a similar problem anywhere and my professor refuses to answer e-mails.

Thank you so so much!

And I am sorry that this is a repost, but I would very much like to have an answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is my thoughts that might be wrong but...
Perhaps in this example, you should consider using the wave properties of light rather than the quantum properties. I can't imagine a photon splitting but I can imagine the wave splitting and I would agree that there sould be a standing wave pattern at x. Just my thoughts and they may be wrong.

Related to Beam splitter with single photons

1. How does a beam splitter with single photons work?

A beam splitter with single photons is a device that uses a partially reflective mirror to split a beam of light into two separate beams. When a single photon of light hits the beam splitter, it has a chance of either being reflected or transmitted through the mirror. This creates two beams of light, with each beam containing half of the original photons. This process is repeated continuously, resulting in a beam of single photons being split into multiple beams.

2. What is the purpose of using a beam splitter with single photons in experiments?

A beam splitter with single photons is commonly used in experiments to study the behavior of individual photons. By splitting a beam of light into single photons, scientists can observe how these particles interact with different materials and how they behave under different conditions. This allows for a better understanding of the fundamental properties of light and its role in various phenomena.

3. How is the efficiency of a beam splitter with single photons measured?

The efficiency of a beam splitter with single photons is typically measured by the ratio of the number of photons that are transmitted through the mirror compared to the total number of photons that hit the beam splitter. This is known as the transmission coefficient and is usually expressed as a percentage. Higher transmission coefficients indicate a more efficient beam splitter.

4. Can a beam splitter with single photons be used for quantum cryptography?

Yes, a beam splitter with single photons is a crucial component in quantum key distribution, which is a form of quantum cryptography. In this application, the beam splitter is used to split a single photon into two beams, which are then sent to two separate locations. The behavior of these photons is then used to generate a secure encryption key that can be used for secure communication.

5. What are some potential challenges when working with a beam splitter with single photons?

One of the main challenges with using a beam splitter with single photons is maintaining a high level of efficiency. As the number of photons being split increases, the likelihood of errors and losses also increases. Additionally, aligning the beam splitter correctly and minimizing environmental interference can also be challenging. Another potential issue is the stability of the beam splitter, as small variations or vibrations can affect its performance and accuracy.