Bee moving in spiral motion

In summary, the bee goes out from the hive in a spiral path given in plane polar coordinates by r = bekt and q = ct. The angle between the velocity vector and the acceleration vector remains constant as the bee moves outward.
negation

Homework Statement

A bee goes out from its hive in a spiral path given in plane polar coordinates by r = bekt q = ct where b, k, and c are positive constants. Show that the angle between the velocity vector and the acceleration vector remains constant as the bee moves outward.
Solution
r(t) = bekt q(t) = ct

The Attempt at a Solution

r'(t) = bke^(kt)
r' ' (t) = bk^(2)e^(kt)

I'm lost as to what should I be doing with the information to make the jump to the proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not good to throw up your hands under 3). See guidelines.

How does one go about calculating an angle between vectors ?

He, hello Negation!

Also some more explanation under 1) is needed. You should know better by now! I can deduce some things, so I can guess that ## r = b \, e^{kt} ## and ##\theta = q\, t## but this way you make it too difficult for others. At least learn a bit about Go Advanced. It is a safe, easy environment. ##\TeX## is much more powerful, but also a lot tougher. Still worth the investment...

Oh, and: if a vector in plane polar coordinates has two components, how come you only write down ##\dot r## and ##\ddot r## (this is shorthand for ##dr\over dt## and ##d^2 r \over dt^2##) if you really need ##\dot {\vec r}## and ##\ddot {\vec r}## to say something about the angle ?

BvU said:
Not good to throw up your hands under 3). See guidelines.

How does one go about calculating an angle between vectors ?

By using the dot product and which by definition states:

A.B = |A||B|cosΘ
Θ=arc cos[(A.B)/(|A||B|)]

I understand that there are 2 components. I trying to outline the idea first.
Suppose, if I can show that theta does not change, would I then have proven?

Right! the dot product divided by the magnitudes should give you something constant. From now on, it is math all the way to the answer.

Yes. Showing (A.B)/(|A||B|) is constant is sufficient.
Now, the exercise is written out in polar coordinates. You can do a lot of work transforming to cartesian, or you can stay with polar (r, Θ).

BvU said:
Yes. Showing (A.B)/(|A||B|) is constant is sufficient.
Now, the exercise is written out in polar coordinates. You can do a lot of work transforming to cartesian, or you can stay with polar (r, Θ).

I'm a little disturbed by the amount of hassle having to make the conversion from polar to cartesian and vice versa. It's tedious and messy. Do you recommend learning lagrangian in first year physics or should I really focus on the existing math and physics in school first?

Focus. But ##x=r \cos\theta## and ## y = r \sin\theta## is first year. So is the dot product in polar coordinates ## (r_1, \theta_1)\cdot (r_2, \theta_2) = |r_1|\, |r_2|\, \cos(\theta_1 - \theta_2)##

There is no way to avoid math in phys, I would say. Philosophers might dream otherwise.

1. How do bees move in a spiral motion?

Bee's spiral motion is a result of their unique ability to fly in a circular pattern while rotating their wings at a specific angle. This motion is known as the "waggle dance" and is used by bees to communicate the location of food sources to other bees in the colony.

2. Why do bees move in a spiral motion?

The spiral motion of bees serves as an efficient way to navigate and locate food sources. By using the waggle dance, bees are able to communicate the direction and distance of the food source, allowing them to quickly and accurately find food.

3. What is the purpose of the waggle dance in bee's spiral motion?

The waggle dance is a form of communication used by bees to share information about the location of food sources. By dancing in a spiral motion, bees are able to convey the direction and distance of the food source to other bees in the colony.

4. Do all bees move in a spiral motion?

Not all bees move in a spiral motion. The waggle dance is mainly used by honeybees, while other species of bees may have different methods of communicating and locating food sources.

5. How do scientists study bee's spiral motion?

Scientists study bee's spiral motion by observing their behavior in the hive and in the field. They also use specialized equipment, such as high-speed cameras and radar systems, to track and analyze the movements of bees in flight. Additionally, researchers may conduct experiments to better understand the mechanics and purpose of bee's spiral motion.