Spiraling Particle Homework: Solving for Velocity & Acceleration

• Thread starter PFuser1232
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary: Not really. For any given (r, θ), you can normalise such that r>=0 and θ is in a range of length 2 pi. But these are not restrictions on...
PFuser1232

Homework Statement

A particle moves outward along a spiral. Its trajectory is given by ##r = Aθ##, where ##A## is a constant. ##A = \frac{1}{\pi} m/rad##. ##θ## increases in time according to ##θ = \frac{\alpha t^2}{2}## where ##\alpha## is a constant.
(a) Sketch the motion, and indicate the approximate velocity and acceleration at a few points.
(b) Show that the radial acceleration is zero when ##\theta = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##
(c) At what angles do the radial and tangential accelerations have equal magnitude?

Homework Equations

$$\vec{r} = r \hat{r}$$
$$\vec{v} = \dot{r} \hat{r} + r \dot{\theta} \hat{\theta}$$
$$\vec{a} = (\ddot{r} - r \dot{\theta}^2) \hat{r} + (r \ddot{\theta} + 2 \dot{r} \dot{\theta}) \hat{\theta}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Part (a): ##r = \frac{\theta}{\pi}## and ##\theta = \frac{\alpha t^2}{2}##, so ##\dot{\theta} = \alpha t## and ##\dot{r} = \frac{\alpha t}{\pi}##.
##\ddot{r} = \frac{\alpha}{\pi}## and ##\ddot{\theta} = \alpha##. Now, I can plug everything into the three equations above (position, velocity, and acceleration) and substitute ##\sqrt{\frac{2\theta}{\alpha}}## for ##t## so everything is in terms of ##\theta##.
I'm confused, though. If I wish to keep ##r## positive (the convention used in my book), then I should only consider values of ##\theta \geq 0##, is this okay? Also, when exactly do I stop? ##2\pi##? ##4\pi##? It seems to me that it's not possible to restrict ##\theta## according to conventions like ##0 \leq \theta < 2\pi##. The spiral doesn't repeat, and it doesn't stop. What do I do in this case?
Also, at what points do I indicate the approximate velocity and accelerations of the particle? For angles that are multiples of ##\pi##?
Part (b): That's trivial. Plug in the value of ##\theta## and do the math to show that ##a_r = 0##.
Part (c): Equate ##\ddot{r} - r \dot{\theta}^2## to ##r \ddot{\theta} + 2 \dot{r} \dot{\theta}## and solve for ##\theta##.
EDIT: I just solved the equation in part (c) and ended up with a negative solution! This goes against the assumption I made in part (a). I'm really confused now. I thought that a convention must be followed at all times when analyzing motion in polar coordinates. Such as ##r \geq 0## and ##-\pi < θ \leq \pi## or ##r \geq 0## and ##0 \leq θ < 2\pi##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It says in (c) that the two accelerations are to have equal magnitudes. That does not require them to be equal.

haruspex said:
It says in (c) that the two accelerations are to have equal magnitudes. That does not require them to be equal.

This gives a modular equation. I just solved the equation and the solutions I got are (to three significant figures) are ##\theta = 0.186##, ##\theta = -2.67##, ##\theta = 2.67##, and ##\theta = -0.186##.

MohammedRady97 said:
This gives a modular equation. I just solved the equation and the solutions I got are (to three significant figures) are ##\theta = 0.186##, ##\theta = -2.67##, ##\theta = 2.67##, and ##\theta = -0.186##.
I get the 0.186, but the other root seems to be a little more than 2.67.

haruspex said:
I get the 0.186, but the other root seems to be a little more than 2.67.

I probably made an algebraic error somewhere. But how do I deal with the roots? Do I ignore the negative values of ##θ## according to the convention I followed in part (a)?

MohammedRady97 said:
I probably made an algebraic error somewhere. But how do I deal with the roots? Do I ignore the negative values of ##θ## according to the convention I followed in part (a)?
At what times would those negative values occur?

haruspex said:
At what times would those negative values occur?

At ##t = \sqrt{\frac{2θ}{\alpha}}##. I don't know whether ##\alpha## is positive or negative, and because of that, I don't know whether or not I should disregard negative values of ##θ##.

MohammedRady97 said:
At ##t = \sqrt{\frac{2θ}{\alpha}}##. I don't know whether ##\alpha## is positive or negative, and because of that, I don't know whether or not I should disregard negative values of ##θ##.
It's probably intended as positive. If it's negative then theta is always negative, so you would ignore the positive values. If you want to express the answer in closed form you could put in a factor ##\frac{\alpha}{|\alpha|}##.

haruspex said:
It's probably intended as positive. If it's negative then theta is always negative, so you would ignore the positive values. If you want to express the answer in closed form you could put in a factor ##\frac{\alpha}{|\alpha|}##.

What about the range of values of ##θ##? Where does it end?

MohammedRady97 said:
What about the range of values of ##θ##? Where does it end?
Why should there be a limit? There's no limit to time.

haruspex said:
Why should there be a limit? There's no limit to time.

I thought ##r## and ##\theta## always have to be restricted in some interval.

MohammedRady97 said:
I thought ##r## and ##\theta## always have to be restricted in some interval.
Not really. For any given (r, θ), you can normalise such that r>=0 and θ is in a range of length 2 pi. But these are not restrictions on the values of r and theta.

Edit: I'lll reword that last bit. They are not fundamental restrictions on the ranges. They are restrictions you can choose to apply.

haruspex said:
Not really. For any given (r, θ), you can normalise such that r>=0 and θ is in a range of length 2 pi. But these are not restrictions on the values of r and theta.
Could you please elaborate?

MohammedRady97 said:
Could you please elaborate?
As variables, r and theta can take any real values. But a given point in the plane can be represented by them in many different ways. Adding a multiple of 2pi to theta leaves you at the same point; adding an odd multiple of pi while also switching the sign of r also leaves you at the same point. So in choosing how to represent points in the plane in polar coordinates you can choose restricted ranges for the variables.

Likes PFuser1232
haruspex said:
As variables, r and theta can take any real values. But a given point in the plane can be represented by them in many different ways. Adding a multiple of 2pi to theta leaves you at the same point; adding an odd multiple of pi while also switching the sign of r also leaves you at the same point. So in choosing how to represent points in the plane in polar coordinates you can choose restricted ranges for the variables.

But won't this produce discontinuities?

MohammedRady97 said:
But won't this produce discontinuities?
No, I was saying you can choose restricted ranges for representation of the points, not for calculating where the points are.
Consider an arithmetic spiral, ##r=a\theta##. If you restrict the range of theta then that will only give you one turn of the spiral. But any given point on the spiral can be represented by ##(r', \theta')##, where those variables have restricted ranges.

1. What is a spiraling particle?

A spiraling particle is a particle that moves in a circular or spiral motion, rather than moving in a straight line. This type of motion is typically caused by a force acting perpendicular to the particle's velocity.

2. How do you solve for velocity and acceleration of a spiraling particle?

To solve for velocity and acceleration of a spiraling particle, you need to use the equations for circular motion. The velocity can be found by dividing the circumference of the circular path by the time it takes to complete one full revolution. Acceleration can be found by taking the square of the velocity and dividing it by the radius of the circle.

3. What factors affect the velocity and acceleration of a spiraling particle?

The velocity of a spiraling particle is affected by the radius of the circular path, the force acting on the particle, and the particle's mass. Acceleration is affected by the force acting on the particle and the radius of the circular path.

4. Can the velocity and acceleration of a spiraling particle change over time?

Yes, the velocity and acceleration of a spiraling particle can change over time. This is because the force acting on the particle may change, causing the particle to speed up or slow down. Additionally, if the radius of the circular path changes, the velocity and acceleration will also change.

5. How is the velocity and acceleration of a spiraling particle measured in real life?

In real life, the velocity and acceleration of a spiraling particle can be measured using various tools such as accelerometers, radar guns, or high-speed cameras. These tools can accurately measure the speed and direction of the particle's motion, allowing for the calculation of its velocity and acceleration.