Beginner Computer Security Tips: Get Started Now

• Thread starter SX6944
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beginner
In summary, the individual is new and looking to learn about computer security, specifically anti-hacking. They are a mechanical engineering graduate with limited knowledge in computer science and are seeking advice on where to start their learning. The field is taken seriously and there are two sides to it - security professionals and software engineering. It is recommended to start with network certifications as security is focused on networks and operating systems.
SX6944
hey guys~I am new here.

Recently I am planning learning the knowlodge about computer security (basically anti-hacker staffs)

However, I am quite confused about where to start my learning. I am graduated mechanical engineering student which means my computer science knowlodge is quite limited~~So I really need some advices to help me figure out where I should start?

Many thanks :D

Technology news on Phys.org
This is actually a major at Universities and this is not a minor career move. From the Fed to businesses this actually sorftof being taken seriously.

There are a lot of self-proclaimed consulting firms, and they have silly programs that show reports of port usage. But that is really part of the field. And it is not really how you access the risk. Any virus program does that.

There are two sides to this, the security professionals ( CISSP), and software engineering side.

The security pro thing requires some core knowledge. You should start by getting network certifications. That is were you should start, security is all about networks and operating systems, oh and common sense.

thx for the advices :D

Related to Beginner Computer Security Tips: Get Started Now

1. What are some common threats to beginner computer security?

Some common threats to beginner computer security include phishing scams, malware and viruses, weak passwords, and insecure networks.

2. What are some basic steps I can take to improve my computer security?

Some basic steps to improve your computer security include installing antivirus software, using strong and unique passwords, keeping your software and operating system up to date, and being cautious of suspicious emails or links.

3. What is two-factor authentication and how can it help protect my computer?

Two-factor authentication is an extra layer of security that requires you to provide two different forms of identification in order to access your account. This can help protect your computer by making it more difficult for hackers to access your accounts, even if they have your password.

4. How often should I back up my important files and data?

It is recommended to back up your important files and data at least once a week. However, if you have important or sensitive information, it is best to back it up more frequently.

5. Is it safe to use public Wi-Fi networks?

Using public Wi-Fi networks can be risky as they are often unsecured and can make it easier for hackers to access your information. If you must use a public Wi-Fi network, make sure to use a virtual private network (VPN) to encrypt your data and avoid accessing sensitive information while connected.