Beginning Low-Pass Filter Questions

In summary: I understand it now.In summary, a low-pass filter with RC=2x10-4 s has a -3db frequency of 50000 1/s. For a 10 kHz input sine wave, the amplitude will be reduced by a factor of 0.079577 by the filter. This corresponds to a reduction of 21.98 dB in power at 10 kHz. The impedance can be calculated using the equation Vout/Vin=1/(1+R*C*s) or by choosing a resistance value and finding the capacitance from the time constant. The power reduction can also be read directly from the Bode plot.
baltimorebest

Homework Statement

Consider a low-pass filter with RC=2x10-4 s.
a) Calculate the -3db frequency for the filter.
b) By what factor will the amplitude of a 10 kHz input sine wave be reduced by the filter?
c) By how many db will the power be reduced by the filter at 10 kHz?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I got part a. I just said that the -3db frequency is equal to 1/RC which is 50000 1/s. I need help with parts b and c though. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you want 1/(2*[tex]\pi[/tex]RC) for the "cutoff" frequency.

You might want to ponder how the slope of the low pass filter response curve in its Bode plot can help you.

Here's a pretty good http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/filter/filter_2.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for responding. I see what you are saying, but doesn't that cutoff frequency determine where the remaining amount is 70% of the original? Does that help for part b?

You should read that site that gneill pointed you to, it's got all the basics and even has a couple examples of exactly what part b asks you to do.

For part c use the fact that dB=20log(Vout/Vin)

I tried to read it, and I have a slightly better idea. So perhaps the cutoff frequency divided by the original frequency?

Look at the part of the website that says

Vout=Vin Xc/Z

then look at examples 1 and 2 below it. The only difference being that your question wants the ratio of Vout/Vin, which is even less work for you.

Oh I think I was misunderstanding the question. I think got it now. My only remaining question for part b is that how do I calculate the impedance? I don't know if my resistor and capacitor are in series or parallel? Do I assume series?

They are neither in series or parallel. You can use the equation on the website for getting the right impedance.

But that impedance uses the value of 'R' which I don't have. I just have 'RC'

The simple RC low pass filter is a voltage divider, where one circuit element is reactive (either an inductor or a capacitor). In this case it's a capacitor.

To remember how the resistor and capacitor connect, remember that the impedance of capacitors goes down with increasing frequency; They block DC and let high frequencies pass. So a low pass filter would have the capacitor placed so that it would shunt to ground high frequencies, while presenting a high impedance to ground for low frequencies.

Attached is a Bode plot and typical circuit for a low pass RC filter that has your filter's corner frequency (-3dB frequency). The red curve is the actual Vout/Vin curve, while the black line denotes the salient characteristics of the filter (and is often used for design work, because it's very easy to draw!).

Attachments

• Low Pass.pdf
    10.8 KB · Views: 230
baltimorebest said:
But that impedance uses the value of 'R' which I don't have. I just have 'RC'

So improvise! Choose a resistance value, say 1000 Ohms, and find the capacitance from your time constant.

Use

Vout/Vin=1/(1+R*C*s)

where s is 2πf. Or do what gneill suggests.

Mindscrape said:
Use

Vout/Vin=1/(1+R*C*s)

where s is 2πf. Or do what gneill suggests.

That's the elegant way, of course. Make s = j2πf, since the expression encapsulates both the magnitude and phase responses (it's a complex value). The absolute value will give the amplitude response.

Ah ok so Vout/Vin = 0.079577. So it's by a factor of 0.079577.
So for part c, do I just plug that number into dB=20log(Vout/Vin) and get -21.98. So that means it decreases by 21.98 db?

Yup. Round to -22dB and call it a day!

Note that you could read that directly off of the Bode plot, even the "stick figure" version that's straight lines.

I see. Thank you very much for all of your help. Same to Mindscrape.

1. What is a low-pass filter?

A low-pass filter is an electronic circuit that allows low-frequency signals to pass through while blocking high-frequency signals. It is often used in audio and radio frequency applications to remove unwanted noise and distortions.

2. How does a low-pass filter work?

A low-pass filter works by attenuating (reducing the amplitude) of high-frequency signals while allowing low-frequency signals to pass through with minimal attenuation. It does this by using capacitors and resistors to create a voltage divider circuit, which determines the cutoff frequency for the filter.

3. What is the purpose of using a low-pass filter?

The main purpose of using a low-pass filter is to remove unwanted noise and distortions from a signal. It can also be used to limit the bandwidth of a signal, which can be beneficial in certain applications such as audio and radio frequency communications.

4. What are the different types of low-pass filters?

There are several types of low-pass filters, including the RC filter, LC filter, Butterworth filter, Chebyshev filter, and Bessel filter. Each type has its own characteristics and is suitable for different applications.

5. How do you design a low-pass filter?

The design of a low-pass filter involves selecting the appropriate type of filter, determining the cutoff frequency, and choosing the values for the components (capacitors and resistors) based on the desired attenuation and frequency response. There are also online tools and software available to aid in the design process.