Belt Drive power tramsmission and torque

In summary, in this conversation, the problem of calculating maximum torque in a belt drive system is discussed. The equation for power transmitted and the equation for maximum torque output are provided, along with the given values for the variables. A step-by-step solution is also provided to help solve the problem.
ben774

Homework Statement

iv been given this problem having attmepted it I am stuck when it comes to calculating maximum torque and can't seem to find any equations to help me out.

in a belt drive system the speed of the belt over the pulleys is 170/min. The initial tension of the belt is 400N and the tension on the tight side is 700N. if the Driver pulley is 300mm diameter and the ddriven pulley is 180mm diameter. calculate:

a) The power tramsmitted by the belt drive
b) The maximum torque output

any help would be much appriciated!

Homework Equations

power transmitted P=(T2-T1)V
where T1 = tight side and T2 = slack side
v= wr rads/s

The Attempt at a Solution

iv attempted part a) which i got

(700-400)v

170/0.3 = 180.4
180 x 2[tex]\check{}\Pi[/tex]/60 = 18.89

v = 18.89 x 0.3 = 5.67

P= (700-400)5.67=1.7 kw

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for reaching out for help with your problem. Calculating maximum torque can be a bit tricky, but I can provide you with some equations and guidance to help you solve it.

First, let's define some variables:
- T1 = initial tension of the belt (400N)
- T2 = tension on the tight side of the belt (700N)
- N = speed of the belt over the pulleys (170/min)
- D1 = diameter of the driver pulley (300mm)
- D2 = diameter of the driven pulley (180mm)
- P = power transmitted by the belt drive
- Tmax = maximum torque output

To calculate the power transmitted by the belt drive (P), we can use the equation you provided:
P = (T2 - T1) * V

Where V is the velocity of the belt, which can be calculated using the following equation:
V = (N * D1 * \check{}\Pi) / (60 * 1000)

Plugging in the given values, we get:
V = (170 * 0.3 * \check{}\Pi) / (60 * 1000) = 0.00898 m/s

Now, we can plug this value for V into the equation for power:
P = (700 - 400) * 0.00898 = 2.69 watts

To calculate the maximum torque output (Tmax), we can use the following equation:
Tmax = (T2 - T1) * (D1 / 2)

Plugging in the given values, we get:
Tmax = (700 - 400) * (0.3 / 2) = 105 Nm

I hope this helps you solve the problem. Remember to always double check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculations. Good luck!

1. What is a belt drive power transmission?

A belt drive power transmission is a mechanism that uses a continuous loop belt to transfer power between two or more rotating shafts. The belt is typically made of rubber or a similar flexible material and is driven by a pulley attached to the driving shaft, which then turns the driven shaft through friction and tension.

2. How does a belt drive transmit torque?

A belt drive transmits torque through the friction between the belt and the pulleys. The tighter the belt is pulled, the more friction is created, and the more torque can be transmitted. This allows for a smaller, lighter belt to transmit the same amount of torque as a larger, heavier gear-based system.

3. What are the advantages of using a belt drive for power transmission?

One advantage of using a belt drive is its ability to absorb shock and vibration, making it ideal for applications where smooth and quiet operation is necessary. Additionally, belt drives are low maintenance, easy to install, and can transmit power over long distances. They also allow for some misalignment between shafts without affecting performance.

4. What are the limitations of a belt drive for power transmission?

One limitation of a belt drive is its lower efficiency compared to other power transmission systems, such as gears or chains. The amount of power that can be transmitted is also limited by the tension that can be applied to the belt without causing it to slip. Belt drives also have a limited lifespan and may need to be replaced more frequently than other systems.

5. How do I choose the right belt drive for my application?

Choosing the right belt drive for your application depends on factors such as the amount of power to be transmitted, speed, and distance between shafts. It is crucial to consider the type and size of the pulleys, the type of belt material, and the environmental conditions the belt drive will be operating in. Consulting with a belt drive expert or using online calculators can help determine the best belt drive for your specific needs.