Calculating Belt Pull, Drum Torque, Motor Power & Speed

In summary, to drive a flat top belt with a length of 4.0m and a mass of 3.0kg/m, with a required speed of 18m/min and a drum diameter of 300mm, and fully loaded with 32kg boxes, the estimated belt friction of 0.34 would require a force of 186.78N and a motor speed of 19.1rpm, with a power of 56 watts. The belt centres are 4.0m apart and the belt slides along a flat horizontal surface between the drums.
propsboy

Homework Statement

Calculate the Belt pull, drum torque, motor power and speed required to drive a flat top belt given the following information: Belt centres are 4.0m Required speed is 18m/min Drum diameter is 300mm Belt mass is 3.0kg/m Belt is fully loaded with 32kg boxes 0.8m long Belt friction is estimated at 0.34

Homework Equations

F=mgu
t=rF
N=2pi/60 N T

The Attempt at a Solution

I got an
F= 186.78n
N = 19.1rpm
P = 56 watts

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks if anyone could please help me with this?

A figure would probably help, so we can be clear as to what system you are interested in.

Hi sorry, unfortunately i don't have a figure of it, it is just a normal flat conveyor belt with drums at each end

propsboy said:
Belt centres are 4.0m
What does this mean?
propsboy said:
Belt friction is estimated at 0.34
Friction between the belt and what? Is it sliding along a flat horizontal surface between the drums?

1. How do I calculate belt pull?

To calculate belt pull, you will need to know the weight of the load being moved, the coefficient of friction between the belt and the pulley, and the wrap angle of the belt around the pulley. Then, you can use the equation: Belt Pull = (Load Weight x Coefficient of Friction) / Sin(Wrap Angle).

2. What is drum torque and how do I calculate it?

Drum torque is the measure of the rotational force applied to the drum or pulley. To calculate drum torque, you will need to know the belt pull, the radius of the drum or pulley, and the wrap angle of the belt around the drum. Then, you can use the equation: Drum Torque = Belt Pull x Drum Radius x Cos(Wrap Angle).

3. How do I determine the motor power needed for my belt system?

To determine the motor power needed for your belt system, you will need to know the belt pull, the drum torque, and the speed at which the belt is moving. Then, you can use the equation: Motor Power = (Belt Pull x Belt Speed) + (Drum Torque x Drum Speed).

4. What is the relationship between belt speed and motor power?

The relationship between belt speed and motor power is directly proportional. This means that as the belt speed increases, the motor power needed to drive the belt also increases. This is because a higher belt speed requires more energy to overcome friction and maintain the movement of the belt.

5. How do I determine the maximum speed for my belt system?

The maximum speed for a belt system is determined by the motor power and the load being moved. If the motor power is not sufficient to overcome the load, the belt will not be able to move at a higher speed. It is important to also consider the maximum allowable speed for the specific type of belt being used to ensure safe and efficient operation.