Benefit of a physics minor or major in Computer Science

In summary, the individual is currently a Computer Science major with a strong interest in physics and is considering pursuing a physics minor or major. They are wondering if there are any practical benefits to having a background in both fields and if there are job opportunities that combine CS and physics. It is mentioned that at the PhD level there are jobs that require both skills, and in certain areas of software development, a combined background can be beneficial. Pursuing a combined degree or a minor in physics could also be beneficial for graduate studies in CS. Additionally, combining CS and physics can open up job opportunities in fields such as game design, simulation/numerical analysis, and computer graphics.
Jgranley
I'm currently a Computer Science major, but I'm really into physics and I was wondering if there is any practical benefit to getting a physics minor, or even a major. Is there anyone looking for people with a background in both physics and CS? And would a minor (or even a major) be enough physics eduacation to even be useful in a job like this?
Ideally I would like to find a job that uses both CS and physics, but I don't know if that is possible.

Any thoughts or insights from people with similar backgrounds would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
At the PhD level there are jobs like that. Lots of physics research requires computer science skills Besides that, I can't think of any direct uses of physics in the workplace. Consider that many or most physics grads can't get a job using physics. I would love a job that involved physics, but without a PhD the pickings are slim.

To answer your question, there are certain areas of software development (e.g. computer graphics, game design, numerical analysis, simulation software) where there is an immediate practical benefit to having someone with both a CS and physics background, so in this respect, pursuing a physics minor or even a double-major may be quite beneficial.

I should also point out that if you are interested in pursuing graduate studies in CS, there are numerous areas of research in theoretical computer science (e.g. quantum computing, randomized algorithms, computational methods of statistical physics, stochastic processes, and non-linear dynamical systems) that intersect with physics. Less directly, recent developments in research in machine learning/AI have involved incorporating mathematical methods developed in statistical mechanics (e.g. Markov Chain Monte Carlo algorithms).

The upshot to all of this is that, if you are interested, pursuing a combined degree in CS and physics (or at least pursuing a physics minor) could be highly beneficial, and certainly doable given that both fields have common core requirements in math.

Likes Jgranley and Choppy
ModusPwnd said:
At the PhD level there are jobs like that. Lots of physics research requires computer science skills Besides that, I can't think of any direct uses of physics in the workplace. Consider that many or most physics grads can't get a job using physics. I would love a job that involved physics, but without a PhD the pickings are slim.

ModusPwnd, I think you're looking at too narrow a definition of "direct" uses of physics.

Yes, if you want to be involved in advanced concepts in quantum field theory, condensed matter, optics, etc., then certainly without a PhD in physics there will be relatively few jobs available.

What the OP is wondering is whether combining CS and physics will open up job opportunities, presumably in CS. The answer to that is a clear and definite yes. I've already mentioned game design, simulation/numerical analysis, computer graphics, and I'm certain there are many more such opportunities which I'm not aware of.

Last edited:
Likes Jgranley
It seems CS can open more opportunities in physics employment than physics itself. At this point, I am not surprised.

1. What is the benefit of having a physics minor or major in computer science?

The benefit of having a physics minor or major in computer science is that it provides a strong foundation in understanding the fundamental principles of how the physical world works. This can be especially useful in computer science fields such as robotics, artificial intelligence, and computer graphics, where knowledge of physics is crucial.

2. Will having a physics minor or major make me a better programmer?

While having a physics background may not directly make you a better programmer, it can give you a unique perspective and problem-solving skills that can be applied to programming. Physics also emphasizes critical thinking and mathematical skills, both of which are essential in computer science.

3. Can a physics minor or major help me in the field of data science?

Yes, a physics minor or major can be beneficial in the field of data science. Physics involves working with large amounts of data and using mathematical models to analyze and interpret it, which are also important skills in data science. Additionally, having a background in physics can help in understanding complex algorithms and their applications in data analysis.

4. How does a physics minor or major complement a computer science degree?

A physics minor or major can complement a computer science degree by providing a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and theories behind computer science concepts. This can help in developing more efficient and innovative solutions to problems in the field of computer science.

5. Can I pursue a physics minor or major alongside a computer science degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a physics minor or major alongside a computer science degree. Many universities offer a combined major or dual degree program in physics and computer science, allowing students to gain knowledge and skills in both fields simultaneously.