Bernoulli Equation and its application to turbines and pumps

In summary: I understand that the Bernoulli equation is essentially a special case of the integral energy conservation equation, where we neglect the body forces and viscous dissipation. However, I cannot see how this explains why the Bernoulli equation would not be valid for flow through a turbine or pump.In summary, the limitation of the Bernoulli equation in cases where the streamline passes through a turbine, pump, or other work transferring device is due to the unsteady nature of the flow through these devices. This is because the standard Bernoulli equation is only valid for steady, inviscid, and incompressible flow, and the flow through a turbine or pump does not meet these criteria. However, by choosing a frame of reference attached to the
Shivam Sinha
Hi, I have never found a satisfactory explanation for why the Bernoulli equation is not valid when the streamline passes through a turbine, pump or another work transferring device. I have read many books that simply state this limitation without providing a convincing reason.

Bernoulli equation can be derived by integrating the Euler's equation for a steady, inviscid, incompressible flow along a streamline. So, it should be valid for steady, inviscid, incompressible flow regardless of whether a work-transferring device is present or not, shouldn't it? (because the Euler equation is valid at all points for such flows, and the Bernoulli equation is just the intergrated version of it)

Can anyone provide me a detailed explanation for this limitation of the Bernoulli's theorem?

Likes falconwords
Engineering news on Phys.org
I gave some more thought to this question and arrived at the conclusion that the flow through rotating blades cannot be steady. Hence, the standard Bernoulli equation is not valid in such cases.

However, if we choose a frame of reference attached to the rotor, the flow can be steady and the streamlines in this frame of reference will be along the surface of the rotating blades. The modified Euler's equation in the rotating frame can then be integrated along the streamlines to get a new Bernoulli's equation. This new equation will hold true for pumps and turbines.

I'll be very glad if someone can verify the above explanation. Thanks!

350px-Turbines_impulse_v_reaction.png

There are two sets of blades, one rotor static, one stator static. How is that reflected in your analysis?

:welcome:

Flow around a turbine is also not inviscid, nor can it be readily approximated as such. Have you considered the derivation of Bernoulli's equation from the integral conservation of energy equation? It may be more clear there.

Thanks, I agree that in the real world, flow around a turbine is not inviscid. Hence, the Euler's equation and the Bernoulli equation will provide incorrect results. And so, we use the integral conservation of energy in such cases.

Many books say that even if the flow in the turbine were inviscid, the Bernoulli equation would not hold true. Some of them explain it by saying that such devices destroy the streamlines (I don't know what this means) while others say that it is because Euler's equation does not take account of shaft work (Again, how can a momentum balance equation take account of work of any kind?). I have never seen sense in these reasons.

The purpose of my last post was to explain that even if flow through a pump or turbine were inviscid, Bernoulli equation would not be valid only because of the unsteady nature of the flow through these devices and not because of the reasons that many of the books provide.

I'll ask again. Have you looked at the derivation of Bernoulli's equation via the integral energy conservation equation.

Yes, I have looked at the derivation using the integral energy conservation.

1. What is the Bernoulli Equation?

The Bernoulli Equation is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics that describes the relationship between the velocity, pressure, and elevation of a fluid moving along a streamline. It states that the total energy of the fluid, which is the sum of its kinetic energy, potential energy, and flow energy, remains constant along a streamline.

2. How is the Bernoulli Equation applied to turbines and pumps?

The Bernoulli Equation is commonly used to understand the behavior and performance of turbines and pumps, which are devices used to convert fluid energy into mechanical or electrical energy. By applying the equation, engineers can calculate the work done by the fluid on the turbine or pump, and the resulting change in fluid velocity and pressure.

3. What is the significance of the Bernoulli Equation in fluid mechanics?

The Bernoulli Equation is important in fluid mechanics because it helps us understand the principles of fluid flow, such as the relationship between fluid velocity and pressure. It is also used to design and analyze various fluid systems, such as pipelines, pumps, and turbines.

4. What are the assumptions made in the Bernoulli Equation?

The Bernoulli Equation makes a few assumptions in order to simplify the analysis of fluid flow. These include the assumption of steady flow, incompressible fluid, and negligible friction and viscosity effects. In real-world situations, these assumptions may not hold true, so the Bernoulli Equation should be used with caution.

5. Can the Bernoulli Equation be applied to all types of fluids?

The Bernoulli Equation can be applied to all types of fluids, as long as the assumptions mentioned above are met. However, it is most commonly used for incompressible fluids, such as water or oil. For compressible fluids, a modified version of the Bernoulli Equation, known as the Bernoulli's equation for compressible flow, should be used.