Bernoulli Problem (Somewhat Complicated?)

• Thread starter atedinabox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bernoulli
In summary, the Bernoulli Problem is a mathematical problem named after Daniel Bernoulli that involves analyzing the trajectory of a projectile in a fluid medium, taking into account gravity and air resistance. It is considered complicated due to the need to solve a system of differential equations and requires a thorough understanding of fluid dynamics and kinematics. Its applications include predicting the flight of rockets and designing flying objects, and it is typically solved using numerical methods and advanced software. However, it has limitations such as assuming a perfect fluid and not accounting for factors like turbulence, leading to potentially inaccurate results.
atedinabox

Homework Statement

So I'm dealing with a flow as seen in this image. There are 2 tanks, filled with 2 gases of different known densities, gas A and gas B.

Gas A flows from a tank with a static pressure sensor at point 1 through a line with diameter D1.

Gas B flows from a tank with a static pressure sensor at point 3, through a pipe with diameter D2 before being expanded at point 5 to also D1.

The two flows mix at point 6, and then travel further down the line. There is a pressure sensor at point 7, and the flow continues onwards after that (no information known beyond this point).

Basically, all dimensions of the system are known (including the ones not pictured such as the pipe lengths) along with the static pressure sensors at points 1, 3, and 7, and the fluid densities, but the problem is to find out the mass flows. Considering all major and minor losses. Although the effect of different heights can be neglected!

I'm not exactly sure how to deal with the 2 gases of different densities, and it's made even more confusing for me with the rightmost pipe having varying velocities and that impacting the losses. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! And I know how to account for the major/minor losses already (meaning the loss factors associated with the pipe roughness/bends/expansion/merge/etc) so I'm okay there. But not where the velocities come into play as part of those losses.

Homework Equations

Apply Bernoulli (many times!) to in and outlets:
.5*ρ*V12 + P1 - ΔP= .5*ρ*V22 + P2

where ΔP is .5*ρ*V2*(f*L/D+ƩK)

with K being the minor loss coefficient.

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest I'm not even sure where to start. Is the velocity in the two tanks zero, or can it be considered such?

For left tank:
P1 - ΔP (from the tank exit) = P2 + .5*ρA*V22

For right tank:
P3 - ΔP = P4 + .5*ρB*V42

V4*D2 = V5*D1

P4 + .5*ρB*V42 - ΔP (from expansion and friction) = P5 + .5*ρB*V52

I'm not really too sure about any of this let alone what comes next! ... Thanks so much for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I understand your confusion with the two gases of different densities and the varying velocities in the rightmost pipe. To start, the velocities in the two tanks can be considered negligible, as the gases are in a static state before they start flowing.

For the left tank, you are correct in your equation: P1 - ΔP (from the tank exit) = P2 + .5*ρA*V22. This takes into account the pressure drop due to friction and minor losses as the gas flows through the pipe.

For the right tank, you will need to take into account the change in density as the gas expands at point 5. This can be done using the ideal gas law: P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2. Since the temperature is constant, we can simplify this to P1V1 = P2V2, where P1 and V1 are the pressure and volume at point 4, and P2 and V2 are the pressure and volume at point 5.

Next, you will need to take into account the change in velocity as the gas expands. This can be done using the continuity equation: A1V1 = A2V2, where A1 and V1 are the cross-sectional area and velocity at point 4, and A2 and V2 are the cross-sectional area and velocity at point 5.

Now, with the ideal gas law and continuity equation, you can solve for the velocity at point 5 and use it in your equation: P4 + .5*ρB*V42 - ΔP (from expansion and friction) = P5 + .5*ρB*V52. This will give you the pressure at point 5, which you can then use to calculate the pressure drop and velocity at point 6 where the two gases mix.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need more clarification. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Bernoulli Problem (Somewhat Complicated?)

1. What is the Bernoulli Problem?

The Bernoulli Problem is a mathematical problem that involves analyzing the trajectory of a projectile in a fluid medium, taking into account the effects of gravity and air resistance. It is named after the Swiss mathematician, Daniel Bernoulli, who first described it in the 18th century.

2. What makes the Bernoulli Problem complicated?

The Bernoulli Problem is considered somewhat complicated because it involves solving a system of differential equations, which can be challenging even for experienced mathematicians. It also requires a thorough understanding of fluid dynamics and kinematics in order to accurately model the behavior of the projectile in the fluid medium.

3. What are the applications of the Bernoulli Problem?

The Bernoulli Problem has many real-world applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a rocket or missile, designing airplanes and other flying objects, and even understanding the flight of insects. It is also used in fields like meteorology and oceanography to study the movement of fluids in the atmosphere and oceans.

4. How is the Bernoulli Problem solved?

The Bernoulli Problem is typically solved using numerical methods, such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method. These methods involve breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps and using calculations to approximate the solution. Advanced mathematical software and computer programs are often used to solve the complex equations involved.

5. What are some limitations of the Bernoulli Problem?

While the Bernoulli Problem is a useful tool for predicting the flight of projectiles in a fluid medium, it does have its limitations. It assumes a perfect fluid with no viscosity, which is not always the case in real-life situations. It also does not take into account factors such as turbulence, which can significantly affect the trajectory of the projectile. Therefore, the results of the Bernoulli Problem may not always be entirely accurate.