Bernoulli's equation & U-Tube

In summary: V2In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve for the height of mercury in a U-tube given the volumetric flow rate of air and the density of both air and mercury. The method involves using Bernoulli's equation and the volumetric flow rate equation to calculate the velocities at the beginning and end of the U-tube and then using the change in pressure to determine the height of mercury. The error in the initial calculation is identified and the correct answer is given.
UMDstudent
[SOLVED] Bernoulli's equation & U-Tube

Homework Statement

Air flows through this tube at a rate of 1200 cm^3/s . Assume that air is an ideal fluid.
What is the height of mercury in the right side of the U-tube?

mp.jpg

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's Equation (P1 + 1/2*rho*V1^2 + rho*g*y1 = P2 + 1/2*rho*V2^2 + rho*g*y2)
Volumetric Flow Rate (Q = V*A)
Delta Height = Delta Pressure / density of mercury * gravity

KNOWN : Density of mercury = 13700; Density of Air : 1.3 (both are units of kg/m^3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I will first explain how i believe you are suppose to answer the question, Then i will follow this with the calculations.

Using the Volumetric equation listed above, we solve for the velocity at the beginning and end of the drawing (different areas).

V1 = 1200 (cm^3/s) / 1,000,000 * Pi * (.01m)^2 = 3.82 m/s

V2 = 1200 (cm^3/s) / 1,000,000 * Pi * (.004m)^2 = 23.87 m/s

Now that we have the early and exit velocities, we can now start to plug these given functions into Bernoulli's Equation (P1 + 1/2*rho*V1^2 + rho*g*y1 = P2 + 1/2*rho*V2^2 + rho*g*y2).

rho = 1.3 kg/m^3 (density of air)

P1 + 1/2*rho*(3.82)^2 + rho*(9.8)*(.02m) = P2 + 1/2*rho*(23.87)^2 + rho*(9.8)*(.004)

P1 + 9.73986 = P2 + 370.406

Delta P (P2 - P1) = 360.666

We now know the change in pressure, let's solve for the Height :

H = Delta P / Density of Mercury * Gravity = 360.666/ 13700*9.8 = .002686 meters = .27 centimeters.

**NOTE: According to Mastering Physics, this is incorrect. I contacted my Teacher's Assistant and he said my setup seems correct.

Where did i go wrong?

Thanks,

UMDstudent

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
V2 = 1200 (cm^3/s) / 1,000,000 / (Pi * (.002m)^2 )= 95.49 m/s

ehild

SOLVED:

ehild, Thank you for taking the time to review my work and locate my error. The final answer comes out to be .044073 meters = 4.4 cm.

Again, Thanks

-UMDstudent

What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that describes the relationship between the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid. It states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases and vice versa, assuming the fluid is incompressible and there is no energy loss due to friction.

How is Bernoulli's equation used in a U-Tube?

In a U-Tube, Bernoulli's equation is used to calculate the pressure difference between two points in a fluid. The equation states that the sum of the pressure, kinetic energy, and potential energy at any point in the fluid must remain constant. This is why the fluid levels in the two arms of the U-Tube will be different, as the pressure at the bottom of each arm is different.

What is the significance of the U-Tube in fluid mechanics?

The U-Tube is a simple and effective tool for demonstrating and studying the principles of fluid mechanics. It allows for visual observation of the relationship between pressure and fluid flow, and is often used in experiments and demonstrations in classrooms and laboratories.

What assumptions are made in Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation makes several key assumptions, including that the fluid is incompressible, the flow is steady and laminar (no turbulence), and there is no energy loss due to friction. Additionally, it assumes that the fluid has a constant density and that the flow is irrotational (no rotation or vortices).

Can Bernoulli's equation be applied to all fluids?

Bernoulli's equation can be applied to any fluid, as long as the assumptions mentioned above are met. However, it is most commonly used for incompressible fluids, such as water or air at low speeds, as compressible fluids may exhibit variations in density and other properties that violate the assumptions of the equation.