Bessel Functions - Eigenvalues + Eigenfunctions

In summary, the conversation is about finding eigenvalues and eigenfunctions for a standard form of Bessel's equation with given initial conditions. The question is whether the eigenfunctions are predetermined or if they need to be derived, and if the interpretation of eigenvalues and eigenfunctions is correct. The conversation concludes that the eigenfunctions are not simply sines and cosines, but rather e^{\pm ikx}, and the eigenvalues are not C_1 and C_2, but rather \pm ik.
heilEuler

Homework Statement

I'm given a standard form of Bessel's equation, namely
[tex] x^2y\prime\prime + xy\prime + (\lambda x^2-\nu^2)y = 0 [/tex]
with [itex] \nu = \frac{1}{3} [/itex] and [itex] \lambda [/itex] some unknown constant, and asked to find its eigenvalues and eigenfunctions.

The initial conditions are [itex] y(0)=0 [/itex] and [itex] y\prime (\pi)=0 [/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a single question assignment, so it's supposed to be reasonably extensive. What troubles me is that as far as I know, with this being THE typical Bessel equation, aren't the eigenfunctions pretty much a given? (i.e. they will be one sine and one cosine function of [itex] \sqrt{\lambda} [/itex] and x, right?)

***Check my understanding please; the eigenfunctions are the functions in the general solution, and the eigenvalues are their respective coefficients? For example if some simple equation has the solution [tex] y(x) = C_1 e^{ikx} + C_2 e^{-ikx} [/tex] then the eigenfunctions are [itex] e^{\pm ikx} [/itex] and the eigenvalues are [itex] C_1, C_2 [/itex], right? ***

I mean I can derive them, but it's not particularly difficult, especially since we did it in class, which makes me wonder if it's really what the professor wants.

The eigenvalues I should be able to determine with the two initial conditions I'm given, I think. So mainly, I'm curious if I'm doing the right thing, or if I'm completely off base with my interpretation of the question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
heilEuler said:
What troubles me is that as far as I know, with this being THE typical Bessel equation, aren't the eigenfunctions pretty much a given? (i.e. they will be one sine and one cosine function of [itex] \sqrt{\lambda} [/itex] and x, right?)

Since when are Bessel functions just sines and cosines?

***Check my understanding please; the eigenfunctions are the functions in the general solution, and the eigenvalues are their respective coefficients? For example if some simple equation has the solution [tex] y(x) = C_1 e^{ikx} + C_2 e^{-ikx} [/tex] then the eigenfunctions are [itex] e^{\pm ikx} [/itex] and the eigenvalues are [itex] C_1, C_2 [/itex], right? ***

Not quite, the eigenfunctions would be [itex] e^{\pm ikx} [/itex], but [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex] are not the eigenvalues (they are just constant used to express the general solution as a linear combination of the two eigenfunctions). The eigenvalues are actually [itex]\pm ik[/itex].

Why? Well, the example general solution you give satisfies the differential equation [itex]y''(x)=-k^2 y(x)[/itex]. Compare that to the eigenvalue equation [itex]Av=\lambda v[/itex] (Where, as usual, [itex]A[/itex] is any linear operator, [itex]v[/itex] one of its eigenfunctions, and [itex]\lambda[/itex] the corresponding eigenvalue). The two eigenfunctions, [itex]v_{\pm}= e^{\pm ikx} [/itex], satisfy the equation [itex]\frac{d}{dx}v_{\pm}=\pm ik v_{\pm}[/itex]. With [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] being a linear operator, this is clearly an eigenvalue equation with eigenfunctions [itex]v_{\pm}[/itex] and corresponding eigenvalues [itex]\pm ik [/itex]

1. What are Bessel functions?

Bessel functions are a type of special functions in mathematics that are solutions to Bessel's differential equation. They are named after the German mathematician Friedrich Bessel and have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. What are eigenvalues and eigenfunctions?

Eigenvalues and eigenfunctions are concepts in linear algebra that are used to describe the behavior of linear transformations on vector spaces. An eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents how the transformation affects a specific direction or vector in the space, while an eigenfunction is a vector that remains unchanged by the transformation, except for a scalar multiplication.

3. How are Bessel functions related to eigenvalues and eigenfunctions?

Bessel functions can be written as linear combinations of eigenfunctions with corresponding eigenvalues. These eigenfunctions are known as Bessel eigenfunctions and the corresponding eigenvalues are known as Bessel eigenvalues. The Bessel eigenfunctions and eigenvalues have a special relationship with each other, making them useful in solving various differential equations that involve Bessel functions.

4. What are some applications of Bessel functions?

Bessel functions have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are particularly useful in problems involving cylindrical and spherical symmetry, such as heat transfer, wave propagation, and quantum mechanics. Bessel functions also have applications in signal processing, image processing, and statistics.

5. Are there different types of Bessel functions?

Yes, there are three types of Bessel functions: the first kind (J), the second kind (Y), and the modified Bessel function (I and K). Each type has different properties and is used in different applications. The first kind and the modified Bessel function are often used in solving differential equations, while the second kind is commonly used in boundary value problems.