Linear Algebra: 2 eigenfunctions, one with eigenvalue zero

This will be true if ##G## is also an eigenfunction iff ##F## and ##16F + G## have the same eigenvalue. So you are asking if ##16F + G## is an eigenfunction. This is exactly the same question as asking if ##F## and ##16F + G## have the same eigenvalue, which is the same question as asking if ##F## and ##G## have the same eigenvalue.Totally agree, didn't say that.I thought if one has eigenvalue zero it may be a special case.Why would it be a special case? There is no reason for that. As has already been said, the only relevant information is if the eigenvalues are
binbagsss

Homework Statement

If I have two eigenfunctions of some operator, that are linearly indepdendent e.g ##F(x) , G(x)+16F(x) ## and ##F(x)## has eigenvalue ##0##, does this mean that ## G(x) ## must itself be an eigenfunction?

I thought for sure yes, but the way I particular question I just worked through went seemed to suggest it shouldn't be obvious, so perhaps not always guaranteed too.

Homework Equations

So I have ## \hat{P} F(x) = 0 F(x) ##
##\hat{P}G(x)=16F(x)+G(x)##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
##=> \hat{P}(16F(x)+G(x))= \hat{P}(16F(x))+\hat{P}(G(x))=0+\hat{P}(16F(x)+G(x))## therefore ##16F(x)+G(x)## is an eigenfunction with eigenvalue ##1##

Intuition says ##G(x)## should be an eigenfunction, I can't think how to show it from the above however.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A linear combination of eigenfunctions is generally not an eigenfunction. It is only an eigenfunction if the eigenvalues are the same.

Perhaps you drank too much vodka... but P(16F(x)+G(x))= itself is not the definition of an eigenvalue equation.

Orodruin said:
A linear combination of eigenfunctions is generally not an eigenfunction. It is only an eigenfunction if the eigenvalues are the same.
Totally agree, didn't say that.
I thought if one has eigenvalue zero it may be a special case.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Perhaps you drank too much vodka... but P(16F(x)+G(x))= itself is not the definition of an eigenvalue equation.
Not this time my friend, unfortunately.

Typo =..0× F(x) + P(G(x))= 16F(x) + G(x)

binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

If I have two eigenfunctions of some operator, that are linearly indepdendent e.g ##F(x) , G(x)+16F(x) ## and ##F(x)## has eigenvalue ##0##, does this mean that ## G(x) ## must itself be an eigenfunction?

I thought for sure yes, but the way I particular question I just worked through went seemed to suggest it shouldn't be obvious, so perhaps not always guaranteed too.

Homework Equations

So I have ## \hat{P} F(x) = 0 F(x) ##
##\hat{P}G(x)=16F(x)+G(x)##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
##=> \hat{P}(16F(x)+G(x))= \hat{P}(16F(x))+\hat{P}(G(x))=0+\hat{P}(16F(x)+G(x))## therefore ##16F(x)+G(x)## is an eigenfunction with eigenvalue ##1##

Intuition says ##G(x)## should be an eigenfunction, I can't think how to show it from the above however.
Thanks

You've lost me here. In general, if ##F## and ##G## are eigenfunctions, then ##F+G## is an eigenfunction iff ##F## and ##G## have the same eigenvalue:

##\hat{P}(F + G) = \lambda F + \mu G = \lambda (F+G) + (\mu - \lambda) G##

Which is just what @Orodruin said in post #2.

binbagsss said:
Totally agree, didn't say that.
I thought if one has eigenvalue zero it may be a special case.
Why would it be a special case? There is no reason for that. As has already been said, the only relevant information is if the eigenvalues are the same.

PeroK said:
You've lost me here. In general, if ##F## and ##G## are eigenfunctions, then ##F+G## is an eigenfunction iff ##F## and ##G## have the same eigenvalue:

##\hat{P}(F + G) = \lambda F + \mu G = \lambda (F+G) + (\mu - \lambda) G##

Which is just what @Orodruin said in post #2.
I am doing the opposite of this.
I have that f and 16f +g are both eigenfunctions . F has eigenvalue 0.

binbagsss said:
No, you are really not doing the opposite. Let h = 16f + g and then what you are asking is if g = h - 16 f is an eigenvector if h and f are eigenvectors.

Likes PeroK
binbagsss said:

You assumed that ##F## and ##16F + G## were eigenfunctions and asked if ##G## was also an eigenfunction. As ##F## is an eigenfunction, so is ##-16F##, with the same eigenvalue as ##F##. Hence, ##G = -16F + (16F + G)## is an eigenfunction iff ##-16F## and ##16F + G## have the same eigenvalue, i.e. iff ##F## and ##16F + G## have the same eigenvalue.

1. What is an eigenfunction in linear algebra?

An eigenfunction is a special type of function that remains unchanged except for a scalar multiple when it is operated on by a linear operator. In other words, the function is an eigenvector of the linear operator with a corresponding eigenvalue.

2. How are eigenfunctions related to eigenvalues in linear algebra?

An eigenfunction is associated with a specific eigenvalue, which represents the scalar multiple by which the function is changed when operated on by a linear operator. The eigenvalue is a crucial part of the eigenfunction-eigenvector relationship.

3. Can an eigenvalue be zero in linear algebra?

Yes, an eigenvalue can be zero in linear algebra. This means that the corresponding eigenfunction is unchanged when operated on by a linear operator, and is known as a zero eigenfunction. Zero eigenfunctions are important in many applications, such as in solving differential equations.

4. How do you find eigenvalues and eigenfunctions in linear algebra?

To find the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of a linear operator, you would need to solve the characteristic equation, which is formed by setting the determinant of the operator minus a scalar multiple of the identity matrix equal to zero. The solutions to this equation will give the eigenvalues, and the corresponding eigenvectors can be found by plugging in the eigenvalues and solving the resulting system of equations.

5. Are there any real-world applications of eigenfunctions with eigenvalue zero in linear algebra?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of eigenfunctions with eigenvalue zero in linear algebra. Some examples include using zero eigenfunctions to model the behavior of a vibrating string, or to analyze the stability of a system in control theory. Zero eigenfunctions are also important in quantum mechanics, where they represent stationary states of a physical system.