Best background for computational and quantitative biology

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's switch from biology to computer science with the goal of becoming a computational biologist/neuroscientist. They express concerns about their math background and wonder if physics would be a better fit. The expert advises that a strong understanding of calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, statistics, and programming is necessary for success in computational biology. They also recommend taking courses in nonlinear dynamics and stochastic processes, as well as practicing numerical methods and computational models.
Jo01
After two years of Biology i switched to Computer Science and i wish to gain the necessary skills to become a "computational biologist/neuroscientist"

(Here we don't have the "major/minor" system, we can choose one subject and, at least, 2 "external" exams)

The problems are:
1) math level (just algebra, probability, integrals and some differential equations)...no vector, real and complex analysis

2) no physics (!) just one optional and little general exam.

Maybe it's the wrong degree for someone interested in simulation, system biology and computational biology.

Better move to PHYSICS?

(Physics Bs and Ms have mandatory courses like C, numerical analysis, computational physics.
There is a specific Ms in Biophysics and one could integrate with some CS courses)
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
P.s.
In our CompSci Bs there's an AI exam and possibilities to obtain a degree thesis in AI applied to biomedical analysis...bat i think that this is not enough

I wouldn't describe myself as a computational neuroscientist -- maybe more of a computational cognitive neuroscientist, but I've done my fair share of neuron modeling, so maybe I can give some input.

In my experience, it's common for computational neuroscientists/biologists to come from fields outside of biology or neuroscience, so that's not a problem. Computer science is common (and useful), but you're right that the math background provided by a Comp. Sci degree is generally not enough. I won't recommend a degree program, but I'll describe some of the math that I use and that I see used often in the literature:

- As a minimum, you should be comfortable with the material covered in a standard calculus sequence up to multivariable (and maybe some vector) calculus, as well as linear algebra. This generally means three calculus courses and one linear algebra course (or two, depending on how much theory you want)

- Neuron models (I can't really talk about anything else in Comp. Bio) are generally systems of nonlinear differential equations. They are studied both by simulating their behavior, which means solving them numerically, and by analyzing their qualitative behavior as dynamical systems. If your school has a course named something like "Non-linear dynamics", then take it. If not, buy Strogatz' "Non-linear dynamics and chaos" and work through it. Beyond that, take a course or two in differential equations just so you're comfortable with them and know how to solve them numerically.

- Take a good calculus based statistics sequence. It will serve you well in any STEM field. Beyond that, a course in stochastic processes would probably be useful. I'm a big believer that any scientist in a quantitative field should take a good, rigorous course (or two!) in mathematical statistics (say, on the level of Casella and Berger's "Statistical Inference"), but maybe this is getting to be too much to fit into your schedule.

- I wouldn't say that you necessarily have to take a course in numerical methods or scientific computing, but you should definitely be completely comfortable with some programming environment (Matlab is popular, but I don't like it because it isn't open source; I use R and Python). As you learn new numerical methods or computational models, practice implementing them using your language of choice.

Last edited:

1. What is the importance of having a strong background in computational and quantitative biology?

A strong background in computational and quantitative biology is essential for conducting research and making significant contributions in the field. With the increasing availability of large datasets and advanced technologies, computational and quantitative skills are crucial for analyzing complex biological data and developing models to understand biological systems.

2. What areas of study should be included in a background for computational and quantitative biology?

A strong background in computational and quantitative biology should include a combination of biology, mathematics, statistics, computer science, and data analysis. This interdisciplinary approach allows for a deeper understanding of biological systems and the ability to apply computational and quantitative methods to analyze and interpret data.

3. What are some examples of computational and quantitative techniques used in biology?

Some examples of computational and quantitative techniques used in biology include bioinformatics, systems biology, mathematical modeling, machine learning, and data mining. These techniques are used to analyze and interpret large datasets, identify patterns and trends, and make predictions about biological systems.

4. How can one develop a strong background in computational and quantitative biology?

A strong background in computational and quantitative biology can be developed through a combination of formal education, self-study, and hands-on experience. Pursuing a degree in a related field, taking relevant courses, and participating in research projects can help develop the necessary skills and knowledge.

5. What are the career opportunities for individuals with a background in computational and quantitative biology?

Individuals with a background in computational and quantitative biology have a wide range of career opportunities in both academia and industry. They can work as bioinformatics analysts, data scientists, research scientists, biostatisticians, and more. With the increasing demand for data-driven approaches in biology, these skills are highly valued and in-demand in the job market.