Can I transition from physics to biology for a PhD program?

In summary, it is possible for a student with a physics degree to pursue a PhD in biology, even with limited background in biology. Many graduate programs are aimed at teaching students from the physical sciences about biology, and there is a demand for individuals with strong quantitative skills in the field of biomedical science. To improve chances of being accepted into a PhD program, it is important to have research experience and demonstrate interest in transitioning to biology through coursework or research. Competence in MATLAB and Python can also be helpful skills in graduate school.
Tibbz
I am going into the final year of my Physics with Theoretical Physics degree (in the UK) and have been thinking about moving on afterwards to a PhD. The thing is I have always had an interest in biology (i have only been able to take one biology-related module in my course) so I was wondering if it is possible to move into a PhD that has more of a focus on biology, where I can use my theoretical/computational physics skills and apply them to biology/medicine? Or is this just a silly fantasy?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a PhD in biophysics, and I know many people with undergraduate physics degrees who have moved into biology for their graduate work. It is definitely possible, even with a limited background in biology (though be prepared to work really hard in your first year of graduate classwork to catch up on the biology). Many graduate programs are aimed at taking students from the physical sciences and teaching them biology, such as programs in biophysics, systems biology, or computational biology/bioinformatics. This can also apply to more specialized areas like computational neuroscience.

Modern biomedical science is desperately in need of students with strong backgrounds in quantitative data analysis. In the lab I am currently working in, everyone generates RNA and DNA sequencing data, but there are only a handful of people who really understand how to analyze our these data. People with training in physics have the right preparation to know how to tackle problems quantitatively, that many students with traditional training in biology lack.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Last edited:
Likes Andy Resnick, symbolipoint, Tibbz and 1 other person
Ygggdrasil said:
I have a PhD in biophysics, and I know many people with undergraduate physics degrees who have moved into biology for their graduate work. It is definitely possible, even with a limited background in biology (though be prepared to work really hard in your first year of graduate classwork to catch up on the biology). Many graduate programs are aimed at taking students from the physical sciences and teaching them biology, such as programs in biophysics, systems biology, or computational biology/bioinformatics. This can also apply to more specialized areas like computational neuroscience.

Modern biomedical science is desperately in need of students with strong backgrounds in quantitative data analysis. In the lab I am currently working in, everyone generates RNA and DNA sequencing data, but there are only a handful of people who really understand how to analyze our these data. People with training in physics have the right preparation to know how to tackle problems quantitatively, that many students with traditional training in biology lack.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you very much for the reply! It's great to hear it's a realistic path for me to take :)

Is there anything in particular that I could do now to improve myself for applying for such PhDs? I feel like I have decent quantitative skills doing a physics degree (well, i'd like to hope I do anyway), and I have competence in MATLAB and Python which I assume will be helpful... I'm not sure what else I would have going for me!

Probably the most important thing that graduate schools will look for in their applicants is research experience. For biophysics or related fields, this does not necessarily mean research in biology; some of my classmates in my biophysics program did their undergraduate research in plasma physics or nanotechnology. An applicant with research experience will have some idea of how to perform research (that can be applicable across fields) and will have some knowledge of what grad school will be like.

For a pure physics student who wants to move into biology, it may also be worth having something that shows your interest in transitioning to biology, whether that is through coursework or through research.

Competence in MATLAB and Python will definitely be helpful skills in graduate school.

Ygggdrasil said:
Probably the most important thing that graduate schools will look for in their applicants is research experience. For biophysics or related fields, this does not necessarily mean research in biology; some of my classmates in my biophysics program did their undergraduate research in plasma physics or nanotechnology. An applicant with research experience will have some idea of how to perform research (that can be applicable across fields) and will have some knowledge of what grad school will be like.

For a pure physics student who wants to move into biology, it may also be worth having something that shows your interest in transitioning to biology, whether that is through coursework or through research.

Competence in MATLAB and Python will definitely be helpful skills in graduate school.

That's good to hear, I did some voluntary work in our school's MRI centre last summer and I have an internship in the condensed matter department this summer so hopefully those help!

Thanks again :)

Related to Can I transition from physics to biology for a PhD program?

1. What is the connection between physics and biology?

The connection between physics and biology is that physics provides the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy, which are essential for understanding biological processes. Many biological phenomena, such as movement, growth, and reproduction, can be explained using principles from physics.

2. How does physics contribute to our understanding of living organisms?

Physics contributes to our understanding of living organisms by providing a framework for studying the structure and function of biological systems. For example, physics principles such as thermodynamics and fluid dynamics are used to understand how cells and tissues function, while concepts from quantum mechanics are applied to explain the behavior of molecules and chemical reactions within living organisms.

3. Can physics explain complex biological phenomena?

While physics can provide insights into various biological phenomena, it is not the only field of study that can explain complex biological processes. Biology also incorporates concepts from chemistry, genetics, and other disciplines to fully understand and explain the complexity of living organisms.

4. How has the study of physics influenced the field of biology?

The study of physics has greatly influenced the field of biology by providing new tools and techniques for understanding biological processes. For example, advancements in microscopy and imaging techniques, which are rooted in physics, have allowed scientists to observe and study biological structures at the cellular and molecular level.

5. What are some current research areas that bridge physics and biology?

Some current research areas that bridge physics and biology include biophysics, which uses physical principles to study biological systems, and systems biology, which combines mathematical and computational approaches with experimental techniques to study complex biological systems. Other areas of research include neurophysics, biomechanics, and biophysical chemistry.