Best online QM/QFT courses/tutoring

• Thread starter mieral
  • Start date
In summary, online QM/QFT courses or tutoring web sites can provide a good foundation for learning quantum mechanics and quantum field theory, but it is important to have a lot of math and physics background before attempting these courses. It can be difficult to complete an online course on your own, and it is usually recommended to complete an undergraduate degree before enrolling in a postgraduate course.
mieral
What is the best online QM/QFT courses or tutoring web sites? And who among you have taken this path before or ongoing now?

In my high school. We were not even taught calculus. The most is just trigonometry in our senior years. I took up business management in college and we only had one subject in calculus. This was the only math subject I had and this occurred over 25 years ago.

I know not taking up physics course is the worse regret in my life. I want to catch up. I want to eventually go into quantum gravity and contribute papers like Rovelli. Can one submit papers after finishing a full online QM/QFT course. What options do i have? I'm asking in this QM forum to also get feedback from those who actually have taken online QM/QFT course or tutor. How was the experience and were you satisfied?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't go straight from nothing to a course in QFT, or even QM. You've got several years worth of math and physics to learn first, or it won't make any sense. And no, it's extremely unlikely you'll be able to come up with anything original after an intro class in a subject, and very difficult to do on your own as well. Look into MIT's Open Courseware and start at the beginning.

Likes Vanadium 50 and DrSteve
Eri is right.

Rovelli got a bachelors, a PhD, a postdoc, and then spent 20+ years working. You are not going to match that with a single online class. Put another way, you are proposing to put in 1% as much work. Do you really think you're 100x smarter?

Vanadium 50 said:
Eri is right.

Rovelli got a bachelors, a PhD, a postdoc, and then spent 20+ years working. You are not going to match that with a single online class. Put another way, you are proposing to put in 1% as much work. Do you really think you're 100x smarter?

I spent or wasted the past 15 years reading quantum interpretations. How many years of education before one can get a Ph.D. and start working at the LHC? It is more or less years than being a doctor?

Real physics begins after quantum gravity... these are all just lower limit of something...

Starting from zero as you have indicated to a PhD and working at LHC is a minimum of 10 years of full time effort, more like 15.

Dr Transport said:
Starting from zero as you have indicated to a PhD and working at LHC is a minimum of 10 years of full time effort, more like 15.

Are there universities where they can enroll you and all your subjects are strictly physics subjects or related to it? because I already took up business administration in college and I don't want to repeat having to learned social studies, histories, literature, accounting, language and all those minor subjects in any undergraduate course in any school.. and what terms do you call this course that is strictly physics.. is it also known as post graduate education?

After when one first works at LHC, how long before one can suggest experiments to perform?

With a 25 year lag between degrees, you might be lucky to get about half of the non-technical courses waived, maybe. At best that might take a year off of an undergrad degree, remember that there are prerequisites for courses and frankly any other than a progeny couldn't do more than 2 physics courses and the associated math courses a semester. Starting from no calculus, you'd be hard pressed to get going on the core courses in less than two years.

Again in graduate school, there are prerequisites, and you'd be lucky to get through them in less than two years. My estimate still stands, 10 years at best.

Likes mieral
Dr Transport said:
With a 25 year lag between degrees, you might be lucky to get about half of the non-technical courses waived, maybe. At best that might take a year off of an undergrad degree, remember that there are prerequisites for courses and frankly any other than a progeny couldn't do more than 2 physics courses and the associated math courses a semester. Starting from no calculus, you'd be hard pressed to get going on the core courses in less than two years.

Again in graduate school, there are prerequisites, and you'd be lucky to get through them in less than two years. My estimate still stands, 10 years at best.

In my business administration college days. I was so bored with the subjects that I didn't study well so I didn't have high grades. And add to 25 years lag. What universities can still accept me? How best to tell them that I want physics post graduate course but need to take all the undergraduate math physics prerequisite subjects.. and what orders of math needed to be learnt? Please list them if someone has them.

Also what is the requirement to be employed at LHC? Do they need certain average grade point.. who has actually applied at LHC here? please share your experience.

You'd be starting over on a new bachelors degree. Most schools will not accept classes for credit you took more than 10 years ago. Your best bet would be a local state university. If you don't want to study anything except physics, don't bother looking at schools in the US. That's a more European model.

Getting a job at any research facility or institution requires applying for that job. They will look at your transcripts, publications, and references. No, it's not about GPA. Everyone getting a PhD has to maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 anyway, but your research is what really matters when applying for research jobs.

What are the best online QM/QFT courses available?

The best online QM/QFT courses are highly subjective and depend on an individual's learning style and goals. Some popular options include courses from reputable institutions such as Coursera, edX, and MIT OpenCourseWare. It is recommended to read reviews and compare course content before enrolling in a course.

Can online QM/QFT courses provide the same level of education as in-person courses?

Online QM/QFT courses can provide a similar level of education as in-person courses, as long as the course is from a reputable institution and taught by qualified instructors. However, there may be limitations in terms of hands-on experiments or interactions with classmates and instructors.

Are there any free online QM/QFT courses available?

Yes, there are many free online QM/QFT courses available from reputable institutions such as Coursera, edX, and MIT OpenCourseWare. However, these courses may not offer the same level of support and resources as paid courses.

What is the difference between QM and QFT?

QM (Quantum Mechanics) and QFT (Quantum Field Theory) are both branches of theoretical physics that study the behavior of particles at the quantum level. QM focuses on the behavior of individual particles, while QFT studies the behavior of fields and their interactions with particles. QFT is often considered to be a more advanced and complex theory than QM.

Are there any online tutors available for QM/QFT courses?

Yes, there are many online tutors available for QM/QFT courses. Some reputable online tutoring platforms include Chegg, Tutor.com, and Wyzant. It is important to carefully research and compare tutors to find one that suits your learning needs and budget.