Best paint for solar heat absorbtion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best type of paint to use for a DIY solar air heater. The poster is wondering if high temperature flat black paint used for grills, engines, and exhaust would be suitable for absorbing solar heat. They mention that manufactured solar collectors use special coatings but those are not an option for DIYers. The conversation also mentions the potential operating temperature of a black solar collector heating water at 1 atm.
trx
Hi, first-time poster. I hope this is the right area for this topic. It looks like this is the place to find smart people to give me good answers (I haven't seen any good forums dedicated to DIY solar heaters).

Ok, I'm going to start building a solar air heater and I'd like to pick the best paint to use on the collector. I know flat black is the way to go but is there some paints that perform better than others when absorbing solar heat? When testing different designs I used cheap flat black spray paint but still had some shine to it, plus I know it probably won't handle high temps. I know there's high temp flat black paint for grills, engines and exhaust but I have no idea how they perform at absorbing solar heat. I know manufactured collectors use better performing special coatings but they aren't really an option for the DIYer's as they aren't paints. Hopefully I can get some input here to save me some effort and/or guessing. Thanks.

Chad Urvig
Elk River, MN

Engineering news on Phys.org
I know there's high temp flat black paint for grills, engines and exhaust
I would think such paints are acceptable. I don't imagine that black solar collectors will operate at such high temperatures. If the solar collect is heating water at 1 atm (14.7 psia), then the temperature would be at most slightly above the saturation temp of 212°F (100°C).

I would recommend using a high-temperature, flat black paint specifically designed for solar heat absorption. This type of paint is typically used for solar collector panels and has been tested and proven to have high solar heat absorption rates. It is also designed to withstand high temperatures and is more durable than regular flat black paint. Additionally, you may want to consider using a primer or base coat specifically designed for solar heat absorption before applying the flat black paint to further enhance its performance. I would also suggest doing some research on different brands and their performance in terms of solar heat absorption to find the best one for your specific needs. Lastly, it is always a good idea to consult with a professional or do some testing to ensure the best results for your DIY solar heater project.

1. What is the best type of paint for solar heat absorption?

The best type of paint for solar heat absorption is a type of paint called solar-reflective paint. This type of paint is specifically designed to absorb and retain solar heat, making it an ideal choice for buildings or surfaces that need to be heated by the sun.

2. How does solar-reflective paint work?

Solar-reflective paint contains special pigments and additives that allow it to absorb and retain solar heat. These pigments are designed to absorb a wide range of wavelengths of light, including those from the sun, and convert them into heat energy. The additives in the paint help to trap and retain this heat, making the painted surface warmer.

3. Can any color of paint be used for solar heat absorption?

No, not all colors of paint are suitable for solar heat absorption. Certain colors, such as black, dark blue, or dark red, are better at absorbing solar heat compared to lighter colors like white or yellow. This is because darker colors typically absorb more light and therefore, more heat. So, when choosing a paint for solar heat absorption, it is important to consider the color of the paint.

4. Are there any other benefits to using solar-reflective paint?

Yes, in addition to its ability to absorb solar heat, solar-reflective paint also has other benefits. It can help to reduce cooling costs in buildings by reflecting sunlight and heat away from the surface, keeping it cooler. It can also help to reduce the urban heat island effect by lowering the temperature of surfaces in cities, reducing the need for air conditioning and saving energy.

5. Where can I use solar-reflective paint?

Solar-reflective paint can be used on a variety of surfaces, such as roofs, walls, and even roads. It is commonly used in buildings to help with solar heating, but it can also be used to create solar ovens, solar water heaters, or other solar-powered devices. It is important to note that the surface must be clean and dry before applying the paint for best results.