Making perovskite solar cell crystals w/o heating

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of DEE and NMP solvents in growing perovskite crystals without heating. The article referenced explains the method, but it is not clear enough for the high schooler to replicate. The traditional heating method cannot be used due to temperature limitations. The conversation also mentions the availability of a free article that provides more information on the topic.
JessicaHelena
I'm a high schooler involved in a research in which we aim to grow perovskite crystals in microgravity. I've recently come across this article (https://scitechdaily.com/researchers-develop-a-better-method-for-making-perovskite-solar-cells/) in which they explain how to grow better perovskite crystals without heating at all. They seem to have used DEE and NMP solvents, (I've done a little more research and it seems that there are other solvents that could be used as well), but I can't seem to find the exact procedures to produce quality crystals this way. They do explain it briefly in the article, but it's a little vague for us to try do it ourselves. Of course, there's the traditional heating-up method, but we can't use that method in our experiment because of the temperature limit. Does anyone know how exactly the making of perovskite crystals can be done without using heating? Any help would really be appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oh — I didn't know they provided a free article. Thank you!

1. What is a perovskite solar cell crystal?

A perovskite solar cell crystal is a type of photovoltaic (PV) material that is used to convert sunlight into electricity. It is made up of a special type of crystal structure known as a perovskite, which is a combination of organic and inorganic materials.

2. Why is heating typically used in the process of making perovskite solar cell crystals?

Heating is often used in the process of making perovskite solar cell crystals because it helps to speed up the chemical reactions that are necessary for the crystals to form. It also helps to improve the uniformity and quality of the crystals, resulting in a more efficient solar cell.

3. What are the benefits of making perovskite solar cell crystals without heating?

Making perovskite solar cell crystals without heating can result in a more environmentally friendly process, as it eliminates the need for high temperatures and energy-intensive heating methods. It can also reduce production costs and improve the scalability of perovskite solar cell technology.

4. Is it possible to make high-quality perovskite solar cell crystals without heating?

Yes, it is possible to make high-quality perovskite solar cell crystals without heating. In recent years, researchers have developed alternative methods such as solvent engineering and anti-solvent methods that can produce high-quality perovskite crystals at room temperature.

5. What are some challenges or limitations of making perovskite solar cell crystals without heating?

One challenge of making perovskite solar cell crystals without heating is maintaining consistent crystal quality and uniformity. Without heat, the crystals may take longer to form and be more susceptible to defects. Additionally, some of the alternative methods may require specialized equipment or expertise, making them less accessible for widespread use.