Building an underwater quadcopter

In summary, an IR emitter, a phototransistor, a resistor, and a battery would be required to create a cheap depth sensor.
Martin2013
Hi,

I am building an underwater quadcopter and I need a depth/altitude sensor for the platform to automatically keep the same altitude above the seabed.

I have done some research and I could not find anywhere an off the shelf depth sensor so I figured that I will make one myself, so I guessed either an infrared sensor or sonic sensor. What would work better under water? I think the infrared would probably be best but I am unsure.

From what I found, I would need an IR emitter, a phototransistor, a resistor and a battery but I have no idea how to put everything together.

Does anyone know how to make a cheap depth sensor by any chance?

Thank you very much for any help!

Martin2013

Engineering news on Phys.org
Martin2013 said:
Hi,

I am building an underwater quadcopter and I need a depth/altitude sensor for the platform to automatically keep the same altitude above the seabed.

I have done some research and I could not find anywhere an off the shelf depth sensor so I figured that I will make one myself, so I guessed either an infrared sensor or sonic sensor. What would work better under water? I think the infrared would probably be best but I am unsure.

From what I found, I would need an IR emitter, a phototransistor, a resistor and a battery but I have no idea how to put everything together.

Does anyone know how to make a cheap depth sensor by any chance?

Thank you very much for any help!

Martin2013

Welcome to the PF.

How are you thinking to use IR to sense how far you are above the bottom?

Think about how "fish finders" work. What technology do they use to show the boaters what is below their boat?

Look at the inexpensive rangefinder units that use ultrasound to measure distances to walls, etc., for home improvement projects. See if you can adapt one of them for use in water...

Hi Martin2013,

That's a great project you have in mind! Making your own depth sensor can be a challenging task, but it is definitely possible. I would suggest using a sonic sensor rather than an infrared sensor for underwater use. Infrared sensors are designed to detect light, which can be scattered or absorbed in water, making it less reliable for measuring depth. Sonic sensors, on the other hand, use sound waves to measure distance, which is more suitable for underwater environments.

To make your own depth sensor, you will need to understand the principles behind how sonic sensors work. They emit sound waves and measure the time it takes for the waves to bounce back. This time is then converted into distance measurements. You will need to choose the right components, such as a sonic transducer, microcontroller, and power source. You can find these components at electronic stores or online retailers.

Once you have all the necessary components, you can start assembling them according to the sensor's specifications. You may need to do some soldering and coding, so it would be helpful to have some experience in electronics and programming. If you are not familiar with these skills, you can find tutorials and resources online to guide you through the process.

I would also recommend testing your depth sensor in a controlled environment, such as a pool, before using it in open water. This will allow you to make any necessary adjustments or calibrations before using it in your underwater quadcopter.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. What is a depth sensor?

A depth sensor is a type of sensor that measures the distance between objects or surfaces in a given environment. It uses various technologies such as infrared, ultrasonic, or structured light to calculate the depth or 3D structure of the surroundings.

2. How does a depth sensor work?

A depth sensor emits signals, such as light or sound, and measures the time it takes for the signals to bounce back from objects in the environment. By calculating the time of flight of the signals, the sensor can determine the distance to the objects and create a 3D representation of the surroundings.

3. What are the components needed to make my own depth sensor?

To make your own depth sensor, you will need a light source such as an infrared LED, a camera sensor, and a processing unit such as a microcontroller or a computer. You will also need to write or use existing software to analyze the data and generate a 3D map.

4. Can I use a smartphone as a depth sensor?

Yes, some smartphones have built-in depth sensors, such as the iPhone X's TrueDepth camera and the Samsung Galaxy S10's Time-of-Flight (ToF) camera. However, these sensors are designed for specific purposes, and making your own depth sensor may require different components and software.

5. What are the potential applications of a depth sensor?

A depth sensor can be used in various fields, including robotics, gaming, virtual reality, and augmented reality. It can also be used for object detection and tracking, gesture recognition, and 3D scanning. Additionally, depth sensors have applications in healthcare, agriculture, and security systems.