Connecting a Sensor to an RFID Chip: A Mechanical Engineer's Guide

In summary, the chip that the user found allows for communication between a sensor and an RFD chip. The user is attempting to cheaply connect a sensor to the RFD chip and is asking for help. The chip mentioned in the question is an RFID reader that requires no external power supply and can be connected to a sensor without the need for line of sight. The user would need to use an analog interface to digitize the value of the resistor and would need to power the device with something transmitted from the reader.
volican
Hi,

I have an internet of things project and I am wondering how you would cheaply go about connecting a sensor to an RFD chip? I am a mechanical engineer by training so this is a bit of a learning curve, apologies if it is a really basic and obvious question. I have found this chip:

http://uk.farnell.com/nxp/sl3s4011f...2?MER=bn_level5_5NP_EngagementRecSingleItem_3

It makes reference to something called I2C. A quick googling give me the gist that it is for I/O.

Basically what I am trying to achieve is this:

1. The reader transmits a signal
2. The RFID chip receives this signal to provide power (this project requires a passive tag)
3. The sensor value at that point in time (which will actually just be the voltage value of a variable resistor) is logged
4. The ID of the RFID chip and data value that was just saved is sent back to the reader

Have I understood correctly that this I2C pin will allow me to do this? From what I read in the technical documentation I think so. If so would I have to build extra circuitry or could I connect it straight up? I want to use power that is transmitted from the reader. If I am totally wrong would you be able to point me in the right direction. Much appreciated for your help :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
volican said:
Hi,

I have an internet of things project and I am wondering how you would cheaply go about connecting a sensor to an RFD chip? I am a mechanical engineer by training so this is a bit of a learning curve, apologies if it is a really basic and obvious question. I have found this chip:

http://uk.farnell.com/nxp/sl3s4011f...2?MER=bn_level5_5NP_EngagementRecSingleItem_3

It makes reference to something called I2C. A quick googling give me the gist that it is for I/O.

Basically what I am trying to achieve is this:

1. The reader transmits a signal
2. The RFID chip receives this signal to provide power (this project requires a passive tag)
3. The sensor value at that point in time (which will actually just be the voltage value of a variable resistor) is logged
4. The ID of the RFID chip and data value that was just saved is sent back to the reader

Have I understood correctly that this I2C pin will allow me to do this? From what I read in the technical documentation I think so. If so would I have to build extra circuitry or could I connect it straight up? I want to use power that is transmitted from the reader. If I am totally wrong would you be able to point me in the right direction. Much appreciated for your help :)
Can you Upload a schematic of your uC I2C connections, and a drawing of the overall system please? It's not clear if the I2C connection is in your head-end Master system device, or you slave passive RFID device to the sensor. At least it's not clear to me yet.

volican said:

No takers yet ?

I wouldn't have believed it before looking at that datasheet , but it looks to me like you're right - it just might work...

The UCODE based label/ tag requires no external power supply for contactless operation.
Its contactless interface generates the power supply via the antenna circuit by propagative energy transmission from the interrogator (reader), while the system clock is generated by an on-chip oscillator. Data transmitted from the interrogator to the label/tag is demodulated by the interface, and it also modulates the interrogator's electromagnetic field for data transmission from the label/tag to the interrogator.
A label/tag can be then operated without the need for line of sight or battery, as long as it is connected to a dedicated antenna for the targeted frequency range. When the label/tag is within the interrogator's operating range, the high-speed wireless interface allows data transmission in both directions.

To read the value of that resistor will require an analog interface to digitize it.
and i don't know how you'll power that. If i read right you might get a few microamps from the VDD pin but I'm at a loss what they mean by "I2C on VDD pin". Seems unnatural to use same pin for power and communication.
Here's a snip from the datasheet http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1996754.pdf section 13

upload_2017-6-30_21-8-6.png

Must be somebody here more current than i am on these things.
I've only used I2C once twenty years ago with a traditionally powered 5 volt microprocessor. Used a Maxim DAC to produce analog voltage from a digital value i handed it via I2C from my microprocessor.
You need to go the other way, digitize with an ADC then hand the value to RFID processor via I2C.

I never tinkered with RFID so can't help, sadly - looks like fun..
maybe this will prime the pump, though.Request a sample and try it out ?

old jim

LATE EDIT I'm out of my depth here
but food for thought...
micropower ADC
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ads7924.pdf
upload_2017-6-30_21-56-30.png

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your reply. I decided to go down the route of using an ATtiny10. From what I have read if you connect it up to an inductor you can mimic an RFID tag. I will be experimenting to see if I could also connect up the sensor.

I'm continually amazed at what powerful devices you young folks have available, and how quickly you become adept at using them.old jim.

1. How do I physically connect a sensor to an RFID chip?

To physically connect a sensor to an RFID chip, you will need to use soldering techniques. First, determine the type of connection required for your specific sensor and RFID chip. Then, carefully solder the sensor's wires or pins to the corresponding pins on the RFID chip. Be sure to follow proper soldering procedures and use caution when working with electrical components.

2. Can any sensor be connected to an RFID chip?

No, not all sensors can be connected to an RFID chip. The sensor must be compatible with the RFID chip and have the capability to send and receive data in the same format. Additionally, the sensor and RFID chip must have compatible power requirements and communication protocols.

3. What are the benefits of connecting a sensor to an RFID chip?

Connecting a sensor to an RFID chip allows for real-time data collection and tracking. This can improve efficiency and accuracy in various industries, such as inventory management, supply chain management, and healthcare. It also allows for wireless communication, reducing the need for physical connections and making the system more versatile.

4. What factors should I consider when choosing a sensor for my RFID chip?

When choosing a sensor for an RFID chip, consider the compatibility with the RFID chip, the required power and communication protocols, and the type of data you want to collect. You should also consider the environment in which the sensor will be used, as well as its size, accuracy, and durability.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when connecting a sensor to an RFID chip?

Yes, there are a few precautions to keep in mind when connecting a sensor to an RFID chip. Make sure to handle the components carefully and avoid damaging them. Follow proper soldering procedures to avoid electrical hazards. Additionally, be sure to test the connection thoroughly before using it in a real-world application.