Best Scientific Paper Editing Software for Mac

In summary, the conversation discusses the different software options available for editing scientific papers on Mac. The person asking for help has tried several options, including LaTex, MathType, MATLAB, and Mathematica, but found them too complicated for their needs. They are looking for a simpler option, similar to Word but with a built-in equation editor. The other person in the conversation mentions that many people use Word for writing manuscripts, but the first person argues that the benefits of LaTex outweigh the initial learning curve. The conversation ends with a discussion on why some people prefer Word over LaTex for writing papers.
V0ODO0CH1LD
I was just wondering what is the standard software used to edit scientific papers on mac. I downloaded and tried a couple, but they were too complicated. I don't want to evaluate integrals and define functions, all I want to do is write equations and text on the same document. Kind of like word with a built in equation editor. I downloaded laTex, but it didn't meet my needs. Actually it overshot my needs.

Can you guys help out?

Physics news on Phys.org
which ones did you try?

LaTex, MathType, MATLAB and mathematica.

I know of many people who use Word to type out their manuscripts.

Zz.

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
LaTex, MathType, MATLAB and mathematica.

I'm afraid those are the mainstream ones. If you think it's hard to use them, your prospects in a scientific carrier are rather bleak.

ZapperZ said:
I know of many people who use Word to type out their manuscripts.

I've never quite understood why people would use Word to write papers. I will concede the (arguable) point that LaTeX has a steep learning curve, but in my opinion the many benefits are well worth the initial effort.

jhae2.718 said:
I've never quite understood why people would use Word to write papers. I will concede the (arguable) point that LaTeX has a steep learning curve, but in my opinion the many benefits are well worth the initial effort.

It is because it is simpler, and the final typesetting is done by the editors of the journal. Frankly, I can fully understand why. It is difficult and time-consuming enough to write a manuscript. No one wants to have the added struggle of dealing with latex issues.

Zz.

Related to Best Scientific Paper Editing Software for Mac

1. What is the best scientific paper editing software for Mac?

The best scientific paper editing software for Mac is subjective and depends on individual preferences. Some popular options include EndNote, Mendeley, and Papers.

2. What features should I look for in scientific paper editing software for Mac?

When choosing a scientific paper editing software for Mac, it is important to look for features such as reference management, citation formatting, collaboration tools, and compatibility with different file types.

3. Is there a free scientific paper editing software for Mac?

Yes, there are several free scientific paper editing software options for Mac, such as BibDesk, Zotero, and RefWorks. These tools may have limited features compared to paid options, but can still be effective for basic editing and organization.

4. Can I use Microsoft Word for scientific paper editing on Mac?

Yes, Microsoft Word is a commonly used program for scientific paper editing on Mac. However, it may not have all the specialized features that are available in dedicated scientific paper editing software.

5. How can I ensure my scientific paper is properly edited using software on Mac?

To ensure your scientific paper is properly edited using software on Mac, it is important to thoroughly review and edit the paper yourself. Additionally, you can also seek feedback from colleagues or consider hiring a professional editor for a final review.