Best Search Engines for Academic Papers - arXiv and Beyond

In summary, when it comes to searching for academic papers, Google Scholar is often the go-to search engine, although other specialized repositories and publishing organizations can also be useful. However, skillful literature reviews often involve following paper trails and tracking citations to find the most important and relevant papers.
Thomaz
What are the best search engines of academic papers in your opinion?

as of right now I'm only searching on arXiv :(

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you heard of Google Scholar?

ArXiv is not a search engine. It is a repository.

Zz.

Likes Thomaz
ZapperZ said:
Have you heard of Google Scholar?

ArXiv is not a search engine. It is a repository.

Zz.

I meant that when a need to search for a paper in a specific subject i search there :D

how good is google scholar? Any other better for physics?

thnks for your answer :)

Thomaz said:
I meant that when a need to search for a paper in a specific subject i search there :D

how good is google scholar? Any other better for physics?

thnks for your answer :)

Google Scholar will find anything at arXiv and often lots of papers that are not at arXiv. Like any search engine, how well it works depends on the search terms you use, and one needs to develop skill selecting and refining the search terms used in a given field and literature search.

Google Scholar is the first search engine I turn to for scholarly searches, and it is sufficient to get started most of the time, but there are occasions where I use the search features of specific repositories like DTIC or arXiv or even specific publishing organizations.

But skillful literature reviews often go beyond these kinds of searches. Most important papers I find are found by following the "paper trails" of other papers. Which papers are cited by important papers I've already found? Which papers later cite the important papers I've already found? What else on the subject has been written by authors who seem to be important and knowledgeable on the subject? Once I've published in a field, I also track who is citing MY papers. If someone thinks my paper is important enough to cite, odds are good they're bringing valuable new information both in their study itself and in the other papers they've cited and written.

Likes Thomaz

1. What is arXiv and why is it considered one of the best search engines for academic papers?

arXiv is an open-access repository that hosts over 1.5 million academic papers in the fields of physics, mathematics, computer science, and more. It is considered one of the best search engines for academic papers because of its extensive collection, constantly updated content, and user-friendly interface.

2. Are there any other search engines besides arXiv that are recommended for finding academic papers?

Yes, there are several other search engines that are highly recommended for finding academic papers, such as Google Scholar, Microsoft Academic, and ScienceDirect. These search engines also have vast collections of academic papers and offer advanced search options.

3. Can I access and download full-text papers from arXiv?

Yes, arXiv allows users to access and download full-text papers for free. However, some papers may require a subscription or payment to access the full text.

4. How reliable are the papers found on arXiv and other academic search engines?

The reliability of papers found on arXiv and other academic search engines can vary. It is important to carefully evaluate the source and credibility of the paper, as well as the author's credentials and affiliations. It is also helpful to check if the paper has been peer-reviewed or published in a reputable journal.

5. Can I use arXiv and other academic search engines for my research or academic work?

Yes, arXiv and other academic search engines are excellent resources for research and academic work. However, it is important to properly cite any sources used and to follow any copyright or usage restrictions for the papers found on these search engines.