Best way to acquire Proof/Logic skills

• Thread starter bacte2013
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skills
In summary, to learn and sharpen proof methodologies and logic in mathematics, it is recommended to both read proof books and attempt proof problems in analysis texts without the proof basics. It is important to focus on the problems and work through them, identifying and fixing any errors in thinking. It is also helpful to learn common proof techniques and think logically and rigorously in general, such as through studying Latin or rhetoric.
bacte2013
Dear P.F. friends,

What is the best way to learn and sharpen the proof methodologies and logic in mathematics, reading the proof books or attempting the proof problems in analysis texts without the proof basics?

Likes TomServo
Physics news on Phys.org
I would do both, look over the steps and tips for proofs and then do problems. Focus on the problems a lot more; they are much more important to refining your sense of logic. Work through problems, check them, find what went wrong, identify what in your process of thinking went wrong, and try to fix it in the next problem. Rinse and repeat until you're confident in your abilities, then do 3-5 more. If you get them correct, then you're all good for that particular methodology or area or whatever.

Learn common proof techniques. I believe you'll find similar proofs crop up a lot in analysis.

Likes Niflheim
bacte2013 said:
Dear P.F. friends,

What is the best way to learn and sharpen the proof methodologies and logic in mathematics, reading the proof books or attempting the proof problems in analysis texts without the proof basics?
Start with a text or course on discrete math. Counting, proof by induction, predicate calculus, proof by contradiction, set theory, etc. It sharpens your proof muscles a lot.

Likes Niflheim
I second the recommendation to look at discrete math, but I'd also add that it would be very helpful to think logically and rigorously in general.

My own introduction to logic came from learning Latin in high school. Studying rhetoric or argument in general would be just as good a place to start as learning math. I would say that it might even be better since solving math problems is more about thinking and seeing problems logically than about a specific set of techniques.

Related to Best way to acquire Proof/Logic skills

1. What are proof and logic skills?

Proof and logic skills refer to the ability to use evidence and reasoning to support a claim or argument. It involves critical thinking, analytical reasoning, and the ability to evaluate information to reach a logical conclusion.

2. Why are proof and logic skills important?

Proof and logic skills are important for many reasons. They help us make informed decisions, solve complex problems, and effectively communicate our ideas. In addition, they are essential for success in academic and professional settings, where critical thinking and logical reasoning are highly valued.

3. How can I improve my proof and logic skills?

Improving proof and logic skills takes practice and effort. One way to improve is by engaging in activities that require critical thinking, such as solving puzzles or participating in debates. Reading and analyzing different types of texts can also help develop these skills. Additionally, seeking feedback from others and actively seeking out new information and perspectives can also improve proof and logic skills.

4. Can anyone acquire proof and logic skills?

Yes, anyone can acquire proof and logic skills with dedication and practice. While some people may have a natural inclination towards critical thinking and analytical reasoning, these skills can be learned and developed by anyone.

5. How can proof and logic skills be applied in real-world situations?

Proof and logic skills are applicable in various real-world situations, such as decision-making, problem-solving, and communication. For example, being able to critically evaluate information can help in making informed decisions, while logical reasoning can aid in solving complex problems. In addition, these skills can also be useful in effectively communicating ideas and persuading others through logical arguments.