Big Bang: Size & Matter of Universe Explained

In summary: Theoretically, if the space was "impossibly" small, then by definition it couldn't have been like that!
thegroundhog
TL;DR Summary
The size of the universe at the Big Bang
I've read that before the big bang all the matter in the universe was contained within an impossibly small space. How can you have matter in a smaller space than if all the space was squeezed out of an atom (or probability cloud if you want to be pedantic). Also, how does it fit it with Pauli's Exclusion Principle?

Physics news on Phys.org
thegroundhog said:
Summary:: The size of the universe at the Big Bang

I've read that before the big bang all the matter in the universe was contained within an impossibly small space. How can you have matter in a smaller space than if all the space was squeezed out of an atom (or probability cloud if you want to be pedantic). Also, how does it fit it with Pauli's Exclusion Principle?
If the space was "impossibly" small, then by definition it couldn't have been like that!

Likes Amrator and Vanadium 50
thegroundhog said:
Summary:: The size of the universe at the Big Bang

It is expected that at such high energy densities our current GR and QM theories break down and we need a currently unknown theory of quantum gravity.

Likes vanhees71
thegroundhog said:
I've read that

Where?

thegroundhog said:
I've read that ...
You'll find that here on PF, as a citation, that's about as useful as saying "I overheard some guy on a bus say that ... "

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
thegroundhog said:
before the big bang all the matter in the universe was contained within an impossibly small space

Before the Big Bang, i.e., during the inflationary epoch (which is our best current model of what came before the Big Bang), there was no "matter" in the universe; all of the energy density was contained in the inflaton field (the field that drove inflation). The Big Bang happened at the end of inflation, when all of that energy density got transferred to the fields in the Standard Model that we are familiar with--quarks, leptons, and gauge bosons. This energy density was very, very high, but the universe was also very, very rapidly expanding, so this state was not the same as a state with similar energy density but confined in a small space, which is what you appear to be intuitively picturing.

Likes Fervent Freyja, PeroK and etotheipi

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How big is the universe?

The observable universe is estimated to be around 93 billion light years in diameter. However, it is believed that the actual size of the universe may be much larger, possibly infinite.

3. What is the evidence for the Big Bang theory?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the Big Bang theory, including the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements, and the redshift of galaxies. These observations are consistent with the idea that the universe began in a hot, dense state and has been expanding and cooling over time.

4. What is dark matter and how does it relate to the Big Bang theory?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light and therefore cannot be directly observed. However, its presence can be inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter. The Big Bang theory predicts the existence of dark matter and it is believed to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe.

5. Can the Big Bang theory be proven?

While the Big Bang theory is widely accepted by the scientific community, it cannot be proven beyond a doubt. However, the theory has been supported by numerous observations and experiments, and there is currently no alternative theory that can explain the origin and evolution of the universe as well as the Big Bang theory.