How can a single Big Bang be true?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a single Big Bang and its validity based on observations and evidence. While some argue that the concept of a single Big Bang is impossible due to the disappearance of matter into multiple black holes, others point out that this does not affect the validity of the theory as it is based on observational support. The confusion seems to arise from a misunderstanding of what the Big Bang actually refers to, as there may be other events that occur in the far future.
Joshua10
How can a single Big Bang be true if matter is disappearing into multiple holes within multiple galaxies throughout the cosmos and no matter how far back into the cosmos scientist look the galaxies are as mature as the galaxy we reside within?What matter will be left exactly to actually disappear into this single hole scientist speak of?

A single big bang is an impossibility according to actual observations.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore and weirdoguy
Space news on Phys.org
Cosmic inflation is a major point behind the idea of the Big Bang, since that interpretation of the redshift/hubble constant (inflation) still holds strong, Big Bang remains a reasonable possibility. Regarding the mature galaxies , I am not aware but there is possibly an explanation within Big Bang cosmology. Big Bang might be wrong but then you need to explain the hubble constant/CMB in a different way. What you are saying about matter doesn't follow to make the Big Bang model impossible

I really have a hard time figuring out what you mean. Looks a little bit like word salad.

Likes casparov
casparov said:
Cosmic inflation is a major point behind the idea of the Big Bang, since that interpretation of the redshift/hubble constant (inflation) still holds strong, Big Bang remains a reasonable possibility. Regarding the mature galaxies , I am not aware but there is possibly an explanation within Big Bang cosmology. Big Bang might be wrong but then you need to explain the hubble constant/CMB in a different way. What you are saying about matter doesn't follow to make the Big Bang model impossible
But as matter is disappearing into multiple holes in multiple galaxies at varying timescales then it clearly isn't going to all disappear into a single hole. So what do you mean by your statement below? Please explain why you think that a single big bang is still possible if no matter is left?
What you are saying about matter doesn't follow to make the Big Bang model impossible

Joshua10 said:
then it clearly isn't going to all disappear into a single hole.

Who said it has to? Why are you bringing holes into this?

Joshua10 said:
Please explain why you think that a single big bang is still possible if no matter is left?

No matter is left when? Where? Maybe tell us what do you think Big Bang means?

Likes russ_watters
weirdoguy said:
I really have a hard time figuring out what you mean. Looks a little bit like word salad.
Why? It's very clear what I have stated?

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman
It's not, because I see no connection to what Big Bang is - a hot, dense, rapidly expanding state of Universe some time ago. What it has to do with holes and disappearing matter?

Likes russ_watters
weirdoguy said:
It's not, because I see no connection to what Big Bang is - a hot, dense, rapidly expanding state of Universe some time ago. What it has to do with holes and disappearing matter?
Well if the single Big Crunch isn't true. How can the single Big Bang be true?

Joshua10 said:
How can a single Big Bang be true if matter is disappearing into multiple holes within multiple galaxies throughout the cosmos
Are you referring to black holes? Black holes aren't literal holes. Matter and light pass the event horizon, yes, but Hawking radiation provides a method for all of that lost matter and energy to make its way back out eventually. Assuming that Hawking radiation is real (we haven't observed it yet, but we don't expect to given that its intensity scales inversely with black hole mass) then there is no discrepancy.

Joshua10 said:
A single big bang is an impossibility according to actual observations.
Even if matter and light disappeared forever, this has no bearing on the validity of a single big bang.

It can be true because we have a lot of observational support for it. And I see no connection to what you wrote in other posts. Again, I think the problem lies with some misunderstandig of what Big Bang is. Tell us, what do you think it is.

PS. After @Drakkith post I think I undestand what you mean.

Joshua10 said:
But as matter is disappearing into multiple holes in multiple galaxies at varying timescales then it clearly isn't going to all disappear into a single hole. So what do you mean by your statement below? Please explain why you think that a single big bang is still possible if no matter is left?
It seems you are confusing two things, you might have seen some videos that hypothesize the further evolution of our universe, that after trillions and trillions of years, all matter falls into black holes and even evaporates, leaving nothing but empty space. This "ending" doesn't necessarily have to do with the "beginning", the Big Bang theory.

Likes russ_watters
Drakkith said:
Are you referring to black holes? Black holes aren't literal holes. Matter and light pass the event horizon, yes, but Hawking radiation provides a method for all of that lost matter and energy to make its way back out eventually. Assuming that Hawking radiation is real (we haven't observed it yet, but we don't expect to given that its intensity scales inversely with black hole mass) then there is no discrepancy.Even if matter and light disappeared forever, this has no bearing on the validity of a single big bang.
I am not referring to "black" holes no. I am referring to "holes" The correct scientific terminology.

As matter is appearing and disappearing from/into multiple holes, all the time, at varying timescales and not a single hole then of course it has a bearing on the validity of a single big bang.

• Sad
  • Skeptical
Likes Vanadium 50, Motore and weirdoguy
Joshua10 said:
Well if the single Big Crunch isn't true. How can the single Big Bang be true?
Observations support an expanding universe, not a contracting one. They also support the idea that the expansion is accelerating, which means that the rate at which the expansion is slowing is itself slowing. It's a bit like gradually letting off the brake as you approach a red light. You're still decelerating, but the deceleration falls over time.

Joshua10 said:
I am not referring to "black" holes no. I am referring to "holes" The correct scientific terminology.

As matter is appearing and disappearing from/into multiple holes, all the time, at varying timescales and not a single hole then of course it has a bearing on the validity of a single big bang.
This is entirely false. There are no known 'holes' in the universe.

Likes Vanadium 50 and russ_watters
Joshua10 said:
What matter will be left exactly to actually disappear into this single hole scientist speak of?
I don't understand what is meant by this "single hole".
Do you have a reference for it, i.e. from where you heard it/read it?

Likes russ_watters
Joshua10 said:
I am referring to "holes"

The only holes that are scientific and observed in this context are black holes.

Joshua10 said:

Where did you get that? Can you give us a source?

Likes russ_watters
casparov said:
It seems you are confusing two things, you might have seen some videos that hypothesize the further evolution of our universe, that after trillions and trillions of years, all matter falls into black holes and even evaporates, leaving nothing but empty space. This "ending" doesn't necessarily have to do with the "beginning", the Big Bang theory.
I'm not confusing anything at all. Matter is entering and existing the cosmos from multiple holes at varying timescales within multiple galaxies throughout the cosmos so what matter is it exactly that scientist claim came from a single hole and will disappear into a single hole?

• Wow
Likes Motore
Joshua10 said:
I'm not confusing anything at all.

You are since what you wrote is not true.

Joshua10 said:
Matter is entering and existing the cosmos from multiple holes at varying timescales within multiple galaxies throughout the cosmos

This is nonsense. Where did you get that from?

Likes Vanadium 50, russ_watters and casparov
weirdoguy said:
You are since what you wrote is not true.
But it is true. Please explain why you think it isn't true.

• Haha
Likes weirdoguy
Joshua10 said:
But it is true. Please explain why you think it isn't true.
To the best of my knowledge you are mistaken. If you believe otherwise please find a reputable source and contact myself or another mentor so we may discuss the issue.

Thread locked.

Likes Vanadium 50, russ_watters, Motore and 1 other person
Joshua10 said:
if the single Big Crunch isn't true. How can the single Big Bang be true?
A single Big Bang does not require a single Big Crunch before it.

1. How can a single Big Bang explain the vastness of the universe?

The Big Bang theory suggests that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature. This singularity rapidly expanded and continues to expand, creating the vastness of the universe that we observe today.

2. What evidence supports the idea of a single Big Bang?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the Big Bang theory, including the observed expansion of the universe, the abundance of light elements, and the cosmic microwave background radiation. Additionally, the Big Bang theory is the only model that can explain the observed large-scale structure of the universe.

3. How can something come from nothing in a single Big Bang?

The concept of something coming from nothing is a common misconception about the Big Bang theory. The theory does not claim that the universe came from nothing, but rather that it began as a singularity. The laws of physics as we know them break down at the singularity, so we cannot fully explain what happened at that point.

4. Does the Big Bang theory contradict religious beliefs?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin of the universe and does not necessarily contradict religious beliefs. Many religious beliefs can be compatible with the Big Bang theory, as it does not attempt to explain the existence of a higher power or deity.

5. Can the Big Bang be proven?

Scientific theories cannot be proven in the same way that mathematical equations can be proven. However, the Big Bang theory is supported by a vast amount of evidence and is the most widely accepted explanation for the origin of the universe by the scientific community.