Bijective function from naturals to primes

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem with a proposed trivial solution that maps n to the nth prime number. The solution relies on the assumption that the number of primes is infinite, making it not truly trivial. The conversation then shifts to discussing a bijection from Q+ to N, with the speaker proposing a possible bijection from the set of all 2m3n, where m and n are coprime, to N. A counterexample is presented and the conversation ends with a mention of an interesting paper on the topic.
asmani
What's the problem with this trivial solution: n --> n'th prime.

Physics news on Phys.org
asmani said:
When I googled what I found were mind boggling functions...
Can you give an example?

Your solution does of course use the result that the number of primes is not finite, so depending on what can be assumed known, that solution may not be "trivial".

I was thinking about bijection from Q to N. here is what I came up with: m/n --> 2m3n
And it's easy to show there's a bijection from the set "2m3n for all coprime n and m" to N.

Edit: This is Q+ to N. Does it work?

Last edited:
It's an embedding (injective), but is is no surjection.

Can you give a counterexample?

asmani said:
Can you give a counterexample?
The map is into and not onto, e.g. you don't hit any prime greater than three.

Oh I see what you mean. Let me clarify: It's a bijection from Q+ to W, and then from W to N, where W is the set of all 2m3n for all coprime n and m.

Here is the bijection from W to N: Map the smallest member of W to 1, the second smallest member of W to 2, and so on

This will do, I guess, but then you could as well use the standard diagonalization scheme.
Here's an interesting paper about the repetitions in it:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/sandip/acl2-09/presentations/rationals-talk.pdf

1. What is a bijective function?

A bijective function is a type of function that has a one-to-one correspondence between its input and output. This means that each input has only one unique output, and each output has only one unique input.

2. How does a bijective function work?

A bijective function works by mapping each input value to a unique output value, and vice versa. This ensures that there are no duplicates in either the input or output set, creating a one-to-one correspondence.

3. What is the significance of a bijective function from naturals to primes?

A bijective function from naturals to primes is significant because it shows that the set of natural numbers can be mapped to the set of prime numbers in a one-to-one manner. This also means that the set of natural numbers and the set of prime numbers have the same cardinality.

4. How is a bijective function from naturals to primes useful?

A bijective function from naturals to primes can be useful in cryptography and number theory. It can also be used to prove certain mathematical theorems and to study the properties of prime numbers.

5. Can there be other bijective functions involving prime numbers?

Yes, there can be other bijective functions involving prime numbers. For example, a bijective function from primes to odd numbers, or from primes to even numbers. The key is to have a one-to-one correspondence between the input and output sets.