Binary Encoding for 16 Bit Architecture

In summary: A, 4 bits for register B, and then 4 bits for the destination register, and then it would be a maximum of 2 bits for the offset that I can encode?Yes, if the instruction uses only registers A, B, and D.
ver_mathstats
Homework Statement
We need to determine the binary encoding for five-stage pipeline with register banks, r0 to r3 is bank A, and r4 to r7 is bank B. It is a 16-bit architecture. Determine the largest offset that you can encode.
Relevant Equations
binary encoding, offset
In class we were given the example of a 32-bit architecture, so the opcode has 5 bits, register A had four bits, register B had four bits, the destination register had 4 bits and the offset was 15 bits, this was how it was done for "add" instruction. But when I was further reading about it online I saw that the opcode was a different amount of bits for a 32-bit architecture so are there several right answers to questions like this? And what are the different types of operand encodings I am a bit confused by this.

For a 16-bit architecture would it be 2 bits for the opcode, 4 bits for register A, 4 bits for register B, and then 4 bits for the destination register, and then it would be a maximum of 2 bits for the offset that I can encode? This is what I have in mind for the add instruction, am I on the right track with this?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
How many bits are needed to count up to the highest numbered register?

ver_mathstats said:
In class we were given the example of a 32-bit architecture, so the opcode has 5 bits, register A had four bits, register B had four bits, the destination register had 4 bits
It's hard to believe that there are only three registers in the 32-bit architecture your studying: reg A, reg B, and the destination register. In 32-bit MIPS there are 32 general purpose integer registers and the same number of floating point registers. In 32-bit ARM; e.g., ARMv7, there are 16 general purpose integer registers. An instruction needs to provide a sufficient number of bits to identify a register used as a source for an operation or the destination of that operation.

Likes ver_mathstats
Mark44 said:
It's hard to believe that there are only three registers in the 32-bit architecture your studying: reg A, reg B, and the destination register.
I think the OP means the instructions are encoded with four bits to identify each of the operand registers and the destination register. This implies 16 GP registers.

ver_mathstats said:
Homework Statement:: We need to determine the binary encoding for five-stage pipeline with register banks, r0 to r3 is bank A, and r4 to r7 is bank B. It is a 16-bit architecture. Determine the largest offset that you can encode.
...are there several right answers to questions like this?
Yes.

ver_mathstats said:
For a 16-bit architecture would it be 2 bits for the opcode,
I don't think a 2 bit opcode will work (hmmm could you get away with e.g. LW, SW, ADD and BEQ or do you need NAND as well? An interesting side-exercise.). Try searching for "16 bit RISC" for real world examples.

ver_mathstats said:
4 bits for register A, 4 bits for register B, and then 4 bits for the destination register,
There are 2 banks of 3 registers. How many bits to identify the bank (which I would assume applies to all registers in the instruction)? How many bits to identify each register within a bank? How many registers do you need to identify?

Likes ver_mathstats
pbuk said:
I think the OP means the instructions are encoded with four bits to identify each of the operand registers and the destination register. This implies 16 GP registers.
Yes that's what I mean.
pbuk said:
Yes.
Okay thank you, this is the part that confused me a lot.
pbuk said:
I don't think a 2 bit opcode will work (hmmm could you get away with e.g. LW, SW, ADD and BEQ or do you need NAND as well? An interesting side-exercise.). Try searching for "16 bit RISC" for real world examples.
Ah okay, I understand, 2 does not work for almost any of them.
pbuk said:
There are 2 banks of 3 registers. How many bits to identify the bank (which I would assume applies to all registers in the instruction)? How many bits to identify each register within a bank? How many registers do you need to identify?
In class we were just shown examples where the opcode is given, then three registers. This was done for add, load, store, and jump and that was it for a total of 32 bits. I'm going to say based on looking at "16 bit RISC" we need a minimum of three bits for opcode and then three bits for each register. I'm a bit confused by what you mean with bits to identify the bank so sorry.

ver_mathstats said:
In class we were just shown examples where the opcode is given, then three registers. This was done for add, load, store, and jump and that was it for a total of 32 bits. I'm going to say based on looking at "16 bit RISC" we need a minimum of three bits for opcode and then three bits for each register. I'm a bit confused by what you mean with bits to identify the bank so sorry.
For a 16-bit instruction, you need only one bit to identify the bank - 0 for bank 0, and 1 for bank 1.
First register; 3 bits (identifies registers 0 through 7
Second register: 3 bits (same as above)
Third register: 3 bits (same as above)

That leaves 6 bits remaining for the opcode, for a total of 64 different instructions.

Likes ver_mathstats
Mark44 said:
For a 16-bit instruction, you need only one bit to identify the bank - 0 for bank 0, and 1 for bank 1.

That leaves 6 bits remaining for the opcode, for a total of 64 different instructions.
Okay I see, we didn't use a bit for the bank in class which is why I was confused, so then the maximum offset we can encode is 3 bits if the opcode requires 3 bits minimum?

ver_mathstats said:
Okay I see, we didn't use a bit for the bank in class which is why I was confused, so then the maximum offset we can encode is 3 bits if the opcode requires 3 bits minimum?
If you have only 3 bits for the opcode, you can have only 8 instructions. In the MIPS architecture, there are three different formats for instructions: R-format (mostly arithmetic-type instructions, in which three registers participate); I-format (loads and stores and some arithmetic instructions that involve constants); J-format (jumps and a few other instructions).

In whatever architecture you're working with, a load instruction or a store instruction requires only two registers, plus the offset where the value to be loaded or stored is located.

Likes ver_mathstats
Mark44 said:
If you have only 3 bits for the opcode, you can have only 8 instructions. In the MIPS architecture, there are three different formats for instructions: R-format (mostly arithmetic-type instructions, in which three registers participate); I-format (loads and stores and some arithmetic instructions that involve constants); J-format (jumps and a few other instructions).

In whatever architecture you're working with, a load instruction or a store instruction requires only two registers, plus the offset where the value to be loaded or stored is located.
Thank you, mine only has 7 instructions that are implemented which I forgot to write so my apologies.

Mark44 said:
ver_mathstats said:
r0 to r3 is bank A, and r4 to r7 is bank B
I think this CPU only needs 2 bits per register as there are only 4 registers per bank, however there is more than one way of implementing banked registers.

ver_mathstats said:
Thank you, mine only has 7 instructions that are implemented which I forgot to write so my apologies.
Perhaps there are also some details on how the banked register addressing is implemented.

pbuk said:
I think this CPU only needs 2 bits per register as there are only 4 registers per bank,
I didn't remember that the OP had stated that there were four registers per bank. I was thinking that there were 16 registers in all.

Likes pbuk

1. What is binary encoding for 16 bit architecture?

Binary encoding for 16 bit architecture is a method of representing data in a computer system using 16 bits, or 2 bytes, of information. This means that each piece of data is represented by a string of 16 binary digits, or bits, which can be either 0 or 1.

2. Why is binary encoding used for 16 bit architecture?

Binary encoding is used for 16 bit architecture because it allows for a large range of values to be represented using a relatively small amount of memory. With 16 bits, a total of 65,536 different values can be represented, making it a more efficient method compared to using decimal or hexadecimal encoding.

3. How is data encoded in 16 bit architecture?

Data is encoded in 16 bit architecture by breaking it down into 16-bit chunks and representing each chunk using binary digits. This means that each piece of data, such as a number or character, is converted into a series of 16 bits, with each bit representing either a 0 or 1.

4. What are the advantages of using binary encoding for 16 bit architecture?

The main advantage of using binary encoding for 16 bit architecture is its efficiency in terms of memory usage. It also allows for a wider range of values to be represented compared to other encoding methods. Additionally, binary encoding is the fundamental language of computers, making it easier for the system to process and manipulate data.

5. Are there any limitations to using binary encoding for 16 bit architecture?

One limitation of binary encoding for 16 bit architecture is the limited range of values that can be represented. With only 16 bits, the maximum value that can be represented is 65,535, which may not be sufficient for certain applications. Additionally, converting data into binary can be more difficult for humans to read and understand compared to other encoding methods.