Binoculars or Telescope: Which is the Better Choice for Amateur Astronomy?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter blitzfu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescopes
In summary, a telescope will allow you to see objects further away than a binocular. They also offer the ability to use different magnifications and a wider field-of-view than binoculars. Which one is best for you will depend on your needs and preferences.
blitzfu
Binoculars vs Telescopes

Which one would allow me to see farther into space:
A 20x80 Astronomy Binocular or a 60x600 Telescope?

Does an impression of depth with binoculars actually enhance the star-gazing experience?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I'm about to buy my first AB/Telescope and wanted to get some opinions. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF.

If seeing "farther" means seeing more distant objects, then a telescope is the answer.

blitzfu said:
Binoculars vs Telescopes

Which one would allow me to see farther into space:
A 20x80 Astronomy Binocular or a 60x600 Telescope?

Does an impression of depth with binoculars actually enhance the star-gazing experience?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I'm about to buy my first AB/Telescope and wanted to get some opinions. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Many people find it more natural to view with both eyes instead of just one. That comfort (as opposed to an "impression of depth") drives lots of folks to buy binocular attachments with duplicated eyepieces for their telescopes.

If you buy a telescope, you'll have the opportunity to change eyepieces, so you can use a range of magnifications and get a range of field-of-view. Lots of people think that they will want lots of magnification, and are surprised at how often they use longer (lower-power) eyepieces in order to get a wider field of view.

If you can arrange it, please attend a star-party or two before making your decision. You'll be able to view through a few instruments and get an idea what you can see through them. There is no point in spending money on decent gear before you actually know what you can expect it to do for you.

I agree with turbo-1. Balance aperature with portability. A scope too difficult to handle and set up will not be enjoyable.

No argument on Questar, not a a good value. Meade and Celestron make better instruments for less $$. I'm somewhat partial to Meade's Schmidt-Newts [great bang for the buck]. On the other hand, the Meade ACF has phenomenal optics, better mount/goto, and is more portable - but, about twice the price per inch of aperature. I'm lazy so I prefer the ACF. Allow me to add, however, any scope over 10" is a royal pain to lug around.

What is the main difference between binoculars and telescopes?

The main difference between binoculars and telescopes is their primary function. Binoculars are designed for viewing objects at a relatively close range, while telescopes are designed for viewing objects at a much farther distance.

Which one is better for stargazing?

Telescopes are generally better for stargazing because they have a higher magnification power and can gather more light, allowing for a clearer and more detailed view of celestial objects.

Can binoculars be used for astronomy?

Yes, binoculars can be used for astronomy, but they are not as powerful as telescopes. They can be useful for viewing objects such as the moon and certain planets, but they may not be able to show as much detail as a telescope.

Are binoculars more portable than telescopes?

In general, binoculars are more portable than telescopes. They are smaller and lighter, making them easier to carry around. However, there are some compact telescopes that are designed for portability.

Which one is more expensive, binoculars or telescopes?

The cost of binoculars and telescopes can vary greatly depending on their size, quality, and features. In general, telescopes tend to be more expensive than binoculars because they require more complex and precise optics. However, there are high-end binoculars that can be more expensive than entry-level telescopes.