Binomial expansion of massive spin 0 propagator

In summary, the manipulation of the KG Feynman propagator involves using a binomial expansion, but its validity may be affected when integrating to get the inverse Fourier transform due to the absolute value condition.
RedX
I've seen written the following manipulation of the KG Feynman propagator:

[tex]
\frac{1}{p^2-m^2+i\epsilon}=\frac{1}{p^2+i\epsilon} \frac{1}{(1-\frac{m^2}{p^2+i\epsilon})}= \frac{1}{p^2+i\epsilon} (1+\frac{m^2}{p^2+i\epsilon}+\left(\frac{m^2}{p^2+i\epsilon}\right)^2+...)[/tex]

I don't think this can be valid unless [tex]|p^2+i\epsilon|>m^2 [/tex].

However if you are going to integrate this expression to get the inverse Fourier transform:

[tex] \int d^4p \frac{e^{ip(x-y)}}{p^2-m^2+i\epsilon} [/tex]

then this integrals picks out the poles which forces [tex]p^2=m^2-2iE_p\epsilon [/tex].

However, since the epsilon term comes in with a minus sign, it could potentialy cancel out the +iepsilon term in [tex]|p^2+i\epsilon|>m^2 [/tex].

So is the binomial expansion valid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the binomial expansion is valid, as long as the absolute value of p^2+i\epsilon is greater than m^2. However, when integrating to calculate the inverse Fourier transform, this condition may not be satisfied and the epsilon term could potentially cancel out the +iepsilon term.

Related to Binomial expansion of massive spin 0 propagator

1. What is the binomial expansion of the massive spin 0 propagator?

The binomial expansion of the massive spin 0 propagator is a mathematical representation of the propagator function, which describes the probability amplitude for a particle with spin 0 to propagate from one point to another in space and time. It is written as a series of terms, each with increasing powers of the propagator's momentum value.

2. How does the binomial expansion of the propagator relate to particle interactions?

The binomial expansion of the propagator is used in quantum field theory to calculate the probability of particle interactions. It is an essential tool for understanding the behavior of particles with spin 0, such as the Higgs boson, in different physical scenarios.

3. Can the binomial expansion of the massive spin 0 propagator be applied to all particles?

No, the binomial expansion of the propagator is specific to particles with spin 0. For particles with different spin values, such as electrons or photons, different propagator functions and mathematical representations are used.

4. How is the binomial expansion of the propagator derived?

The binomial expansion of the massive spin 0 propagator is derived using mathematical techniques from quantum field theory, including Feynman diagrams and perturbation theory. It involves calculating the probability amplitudes for all possible interaction paths between the initial and final states of a particle.

5. What are the practical applications of the binomial expansion of the massive spin 0 propagator?

The binomial expansion of the propagator has many practical applications in particle physics, including predicting the outcomes of particle collisions in particle accelerators and calculating the decay rates of unstable particles. It is also used in theoretical research to understand the behavior of particles in extreme conditions, such as during the early stages of the universe.