Biodiesel from Used Cooking Oil: Is the Pollution Lower?

In summary, the main point is that using cooking oil biodiesel is carbon neutral, and less pollution is released than gasoline.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
I have searched biodiesel through internet. There are good answers there.
And also in Physics Forum, and I come across these two links from PF Forum, which are a very good links.
http://biodiesel.org/
http://nbb.org/
And I also consulted LIPI (Indonesian Science Establishment).
The pollution from Bio diesel vs petrolium oil is better.
And also the carbon cycle that they explained there makes sense for me (at least I can follow their explanations if not understand them).
My church wants to help the environment by converting used cooking oil to biodiesel.
And that leaves me with this one question.
1. Is the pollution generated from cooking oil is less than gasoline?

Actually I have other question, too :smile:
Some of the internet links say that (even) pollution from biodiesel are higher than gasoline, but because of making biodiesel from plants, the plants have already converted CO2 to hydrocarbon.
2. Is it true that CO2 emission per joule from biodiesel are higher than gasoline?And the conclusion from question 2,
3. Is the pollution from used cooking oil biodiesel is higher than gasoline?
4. If it is YES, than in net, the pollution from used cooking oil biodiesel is actually lower because of carbon cycle?

Thanks for any replies.
I've been searching this answer for 2 months, and those are the questions that I haven't got the answer, yet.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't know the answers to all your questions, but the main point in the use of cooking oil biodiesel is that it is carbon neutral. AGW is due to the fact that all that carbon that was sequestered underground in the form of oil and gas has been converted to atmospheric CO2. Cooking oil is based on plants, meaning that the CO2 released when burning was previously in the atmosphere, absorbed by the plant as it grew.

Likes billy_joule and Stephanus
DrClaude said:
I don't know the answers to all your questions, but the main point in the use of cooking oil biodiesel is that it is carbon neutral. AGW is due to the fact that all that carbon that was sequestered underground in the form of oil and gas has been converted to atmospheric CO2. Cooking oil is based on plants, meaning that the CO2 released when burning was previously in the atmosphere, absorbed by the plant as it grew.
So, that is the main point? Carbon neutral.
I know that making biodiesel from plant is, what you call carbon neutral. So does used cooking oil?
I'm afraid that there are some dangerous chemical in (used) cooking oil than plants. Because cooking oil is preprocessed before, and used cooking oil has more dangerous chemical in it.

Thanks Dr Claude for your answers tonight (night here) and for the noble gas question.
So, basically biodiesel from used cooking oil is safe and less pollution than gasoline?

Stephanus said:
So, that is the main point? Carbon neutral.
I know that making biodiesel from plant is, what you call carbon neutral. So does used cooking oil?
I'm afraid that there are some dangerous chemical in (used) cooking oil than plants. Because cooking oil is preprocessed before, and used cooking oil has more dangerous chemical in it.

Thanks Dr Claude for your answers tonight (night here) and for the noble gas question.
So, basically biodiesel from used cooking oil is safe and less pollution than gasoline?

The question of pollution is broad. For instance, how you combust has a major effect on your byproducts, so it depends on your method. For instance, a leaky, old diesel engine will leak more pollution than a state-of-the-art, high quality gasoline engine with a sophisticated ECM and pollution controls like EGR and high-efficiency catalytic converters. Also, there are various grades of gasoline, for instance with additives and octane variances. Here's a quick link to point you in the right direction: (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-consumption/diesel-fuel-better-environment.htm)

Likes Stephanus

1. What is biodiesel and how is it made from used cooking oil?

Biodiesel is a renewable fuel made from vegetable oils, animal fats, or recycled cooking oil. The process of converting used cooking oil into biodiesel involves a chemical reaction called transesterification, where the oil is combined with an alcohol and a catalyst to produce biodiesel and glycerin.

2. How does using biodiesel from used cooking oil help reduce pollution?

Biodiesel has lower emissions of carbon monoxide, particulate matter, and unburned hydrocarbons compared to traditional diesel fuel. These emissions contribute to air pollution and can have negative impacts on human health and the environment. By using biodiesel from used cooking oil, we can reduce our dependency on fossil fuels and decrease air pollution.

3. Is biodiesel from used cooking oil safe for all diesel engines?

Yes, biodiesel from used cooking oil is safe for use in all diesel engines without requiring any modifications. It has similar properties to traditional diesel fuel and can be used in any blend with regular diesel. However, it is always recommended to consult your vehicle's manufacturer for specific recommendations.

4. How much used cooking oil is needed to produce biodiesel?

The amount of used cooking oil needed to produce biodiesel depends on the type of oil and the efficiency of the production process. On average, one gallon of used cooking oil can produce about one gallon of biodiesel. This means that for every gallon of biodiesel used, one gallon of used cooking oil is prevented from being disposed of improperly.

5. Is using biodiesel from used cooking oil cost-effective?

The cost-effectiveness of biodiesel from used cooking oil depends on various factors such as the availability and market prices of used cooking oil, the production process, and government subsidies or incentives. However, in the long run, using biodiesel from used cooking oil can help reduce our reliance on expensive fossil fuels and have a positive impact on the environment, making it a cost-effective option.