Where Does Our Gasoline Come From?

• Thread starter Stephanus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gasoline
In summary, fossil fuels are produced from the accumulated organic matter, and there are definitely places in the world today where organic matter from dying plants/plankton get accumulated. From the moment life started on Earth, this process never stopped, as it is part of the normal carbon cycle.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
I'd like to ask a questin regarding our use of gasoline.
Gasoline that we consume everyday, when did they come from?
Is it from Carbon Period 350 mya? or Before
And does Nature still produce fossil fuel?
And if it doesn't when did Nature stop producing fossil fuel? Cretaceous period?
It's just my curiosity.
I haven't got a definite answer. See if there's someone here knows.
I only get this from Wiki
...Many of the coal fields date to the Carboniferous period of Earth's history. Terrestrial plants also ...
Thank you very much

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Generally speaking fossil fuels are produced from the accumulated organic matter, and there are definitely places in the world today where organic matter from dying plants/plankton get accumulated. From the moment life started on Earth This process never stopped, as it is part of the normal carbon cycle.

How fast it was in different epochs of the Earth history is another question.

Likes Stephanus
Borek said:
Generally speaking fossil fuels are produced from the accumulated organic matter, and there are definitely places in the world today where organic matter from dying plants/plankton get accumulated. From the moment life started on Earth This process never stopped, as it is part of the normal carbon cycle.

How fast it was in different epochs of the Earth history is another question.
From the moment there were life on earth. I like it. Now this 4.4? billions years process is consumed/spent/wasted only in 300 years?

While coal is still being formed, the richest deposits of coal are from the carboniferous era. The question arises why the deposits from younger ages aren't as extended as from the paleozoic. A possible answer is that this time coincides with estimates of the biological origin of the mycological enzyme systems to decompose lignin. I.e. after the carbon age, wood was decomposed much more effectively by fungi than before and this reduced the size of the deposits formed.

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/336/6089/1715.abstract

Likes Borek and Stephanus

What is gasoline made of?

Gasoline is primarily made up of hydrocarbons, which are compounds made of hydrogen and carbon atoms. It also contains small amounts of other chemicals, such as oxygen, nitrogen, and sulfur.

Where does gasoline come from?

Gasoline is a fossil fuel that is extracted from crude oil, a liquid mixture of hydrocarbons found beneath the Earth's surface. It is refined from crude oil at oil refineries.

How is gasoline produced?

Gasoline is produced through a process called fractional distillation. This involves heating crude oil to a high temperature and then separating it into different components based on their boiling points. Gasoline is one of the products that is separated out during this process.

How is gasoline transported?

Gasoline is transported through pipelines, tanker trucks, and tanker ships. It is also transported via rail and barge for longer distances. These transportation methods are closely regulated to ensure the safety of the fuel and the environment.

What is the environmental impact of gasoline production and use?

The production and use of gasoline can have a significant impact on the environment. The extraction, refining, and transportation of crude oil can contribute to air and water pollution, and the burning of gasoline in vehicles releases carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, contributing to climate change. However, advancements in technology and regulations have helped to reduce the environmental impact of gasoline production and use in recent years.