Biological mathematics - trimerisations - law of mass action

According to this, you're right. My bad. I'm just trying to be helpful when I'm not too sure about it. Thanks for correcting me.In summary, we consider a trimerization reaction in which three monomers of A combine to form the trimer C. Using the law of mass action, we find that the rate of production of C is proportional to the concentrations of A and B. When the forward reactions are much stronger than the backwards reactions, the rate of production of C is proportional to [A]3. This is because the concentration of C is dependent on the concentration of A, and when k1 and k2 are much larger than k-1 and k-2, the concentration of A is raised
Anabelle37

Homework Statement

In the real world trimolecular reactions are rare, although trimerizations are not. Consider
the following trimerization reaction in which three monomers of A combine to form the
trimer C,

A + A [itex]\Updownarrow[/itex] B, where k1 and k-1 are the forward and reverse rate constants respectively.
and,
A + B [itex]\Updownarrow[/itex] C. where k2 and k-2 are the forward and reverse rate constants respectively.

(a) Use the law of mass action to find the rate of production of the trimer C.
(b) Suppose k−1 >> k−2, k2A. Use the appropriate quasi-steady-state approximation to find the rates of production of A and C, and show that the rate of production of C is proportional to [A]3. Explain in words why this is so.

Homework Equations

law of mass action, quasi-steady-state approximation

The Attempt at a Solution

let c = concentration of C, a = concentration of A, b = concentration of B
using law of mass action:
dc/dt = k2ab - k-2c

Is this correct??

Also I don't know how to go about part b? don't really understand the quasi-steady state for this system.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let:

d[A]/dt = rate in - rate out
rate in = 2 k-1 + k-2 [C]
rate out = k1 [A]2 + k2 [A]

d/dt = rate in - rate out
rate in = k1 [A]2 + k-2 [C]
rate out = k-1 + k2 [A]

d[C]/dt = rate in - rate out
rate in = k2 [A]
rate out = k-2 [C]

where [X] denotes the concentration of X.

You're correct (for that last part).

Now all that's left is the calculus that you require to solve this. The exponential function is your friend. Make sure you don't forget any free constants that may arise from integration.

After solving the system, eradicate all the terms with k−2, k2 A in it. That's what it means by letting k−1 >> k−2, k2 A.

I'm not sure if there's a typo here. The production of C is proportional to [A]3 when the forward reactions are much stronger than the backwards reactions, or when

k1 and k2 >> k-1 and k-2

This is because you can just substitute A+A=B into B in A+B=C to make A+A+A=C. Good luck separating the system btw.

I've no idea why it changes my uppercase B in brackets to lowercase b.

Edit: Oops. X)

Last edited:
how come in your d[A]/dt and d/dt expressions they involve derivatives but in d[C]/dt it does not??
Ok. I will work on that. thank you.

Oh snap. I screwed up. :(

I'm sincerely sorry for that. Read the edited post. Hopefully that's correct now.

Last edited:
haha all good. that makes more sense. Just wondering though should the rate out for d[A]/dt be 2k1[A]2 + k2[A]?

I'm pretty sure it's k1 [A]2, since the molecules colliding is what causes that part to be squared. I'm not too sure about the rate out having the coefficient 2 k-1, but I have a hunch that it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rate_equation

Related to Biological mathematics - trimerisations - law of mass action

1. What is biological mathematics?

Biological mathematics is the application of mathematical concepts and principles to study biological systems and processes. It involves using mathematical models and computational techniques to analyze and understand biological phenomena.

2. What is trimerisation in biology?

Trimerisation is a process in which three molecules combine to form a larger molecule. In biology, this process is often involved in the formation of protein complexes, where three individual proteins come together to form a functional unit.

3. How does the law of mass action apply to biological systems?

The law of mass action states that the rate of a chemical reaction is directly proportional to the product of the concentrations of the reactants. In biological systems, this law can be used to predict the rate of biochemical reactions, such as trimerisation, based on the concentrations of the participating molecules.

4. What is the significance of trimerisation in biological processes?

Trimerisation plays a crucial role in many biological processes, such as protein synthesis, enzyme activity, and signal transduction. It allows for the formation of functional units and can regulate the activity and specificity of proteins in various cellular pathways.

5. How is biological mathematics used to study trimerisation?

Biological mathematics is used to develop mathematical models and simulations that can predict and explain the dynamics of trimerisation reactions. These models can also be used to analyze experimental data and make predictions about the behavior of trimerisation in different biological systems.