Differential Equations - Fick's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of solute across a cell wall based on the concentration difference between the inside and outside of the cell. This is described by Fick's law and can be represented by a differential equation. The solution to the equation depends on the initial concentration and the constant k, and a sketch can be made to represent the solution for different values of A and k. However, there are some confusion and inconsistencies in the attempt at solving the equation, such as the appearance of A and S without clear definitions or connections to other variables.
kiwiatheart

Homework Statement

A cell contains a solute at a concentration of Ct and the concentration of the same substance outside the cell is a constant, k. By Fick's law, if ct and k are unequal, solute moves across the cell wall at a rate proportional to the difference between ct and k, towards the region of lower concentration.

a) Write down the differential equation that is satisfied by ct.
b) solve the differential equation for ct, with the initial condition C0 > A
c) Sketch the solution for A > k and k> A

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got as far as dS/dt = M (Ct - k) (M is a constant) I then got Be^(mt) = Ct - K. I don't think I understand differential equations because this is supposed to be very simple.

Thank you everyone!
P.S This is maths for biology students.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kiwiatheart said:

Homework Statement

A cell contains a solute at a concentration of Ct and the concentration of the same substance outside the cell is a constant, k. By Fick's law, if ct and k are unequal, solute moves across the cell wall at a rate proportional to the difference between ct and k, towards the region of lower concentration.

a) Write down the differential equation that is satisfied by ct.
b) solve the differential equation for ct, with the initial condition C0 > A
c) Sketch the solution for A > k and k> A
What is A supposed to be? It seems to appear out of nowhere.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got as far as dS/dt = M (Ct - k) (M is a constant) I then got Be^(mt) = Ct - K. I don't think I understand differential equations because this is supposed to be very simple.
What is S? How is it related to ct?

It's not a good idea to keep changing cases of the variable, e.g. m vs. M, as upper and lower case letters are often used to denote different quantities. Pick one case and stick with it for each variable.

Related to Differential Equations - Fick's Law

What is Fick's Law?

Fick's Law is a mathematical equation that describes the diffusion of a substance through a medium.

What does Fick's Law tell us?

Fick's Law tells us how the concentration of a substance changes over time and space due to diffusion.

What are the variables in Fick's Law?

The variables in Fick's Law are the diffusion coefficient, the concentration gradient, and the area and thickness of the medium.

How is Fick's Law used in science?

Fick's Law is used in various scientific fields, such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science, to understand and predict the movement of substances through different mediums.

What are some real-world applications of Fick's Law?

Fick's Law has many real-world applications, including drug delivery systems, air and water pollution control, and food preservation techniques.