Biomechanics Problem- Impulse and projectile motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a long jump trial and the measurement of an athlete's take-off leg. The vertical ground reaction force as well as the horizontal and vertical velocities were measured. The conversation then moves on to discussing how to calculate the distance and height of the jump, how to improve the horizontal distance, and the kinetic factors that influence performance. The suggested equations for solving the problem include linear kinematics equations and Impulse. It is also mentioned that the area under the graph represents the impulse and that the athlete's mass can be calculated by dividing their weight by gravity. It is recommended to take off at a 45 degree angle for the longest distance. However, there is confusion over the interpretation of the horizontal velocity of the take-off leg
Talyyr

Homework Statement

A long jump trial, the vertical ground reaction force of an athlete’s take-off
leg was measured as shown below. At foot strike, the horizontal velocity of the take -off leg was
8.00 m/s and the vertical velocity of the take-off leg was -2.30 m/s.

(Chart as Attachment)

a) Given that he weighed 850 N, how far and how high did he jump?
b) How could he improve his horizontal distance?
c) Discuss the kinetic factors that influence performance.

Homework Equations

Basic linear kinematics equations as well as Impulse:

Ft = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can use linear kinematics for the two distances, but my prof said that Impulse is key to solving it. Can anyone help with answer a in particular?

Attachments

• chart.jpg
    chart.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
The area under that graph is the impulse, but first I think you should subtract the force that simply opposes his weight. With the impulse and your equation, you can get his vertical velocity at take off (don't forget to get his mass by dividing their weight by gravity.)

He'll go furthest if he takes off at 45 degrees.

I have no idea how to interpret "horizontal velocity of take off leg". I reckon that ought to be zero otherwise he'd be slipping. Very badly worded question. You should flunk your prof.

1. What is biomechanics and why is it important?

Biomechanics is the study of how living organisms move and interact with their environment using principles from physics and engineering. It is important because it helps us understand the mechanics and forces involved in movement, which can be applied to improve performance, prevent injuries, and design better equipment.

2. What is impulse in biomechanics?

In biomechanics, impulse refers to the change in momentum of an object as a result of a force acting on it over a period of time. It is calculated by multiplying the force by the time it acts on the object. Impulse is important in understanding how forces impact an object's motion, such as in sports movements or collisions.

3. How is projectile motion related to biomechanics?

Projectile motion is a type of motion in which an object moves through the air or space under the influence of gravity, after being launched with an initial velocity. In biomechanics, projectile motion is often studied in relation to sports movements, such as throwing a ball or jumping, to understand the forces and factors that affect the trajectory of the object.

4. What are some common applications of biomechanics in sports?

Biomechanics plays a crucial role in sports performance analysis, injury prevention, and equipment design. It is used to analyze and improve techniques, assess injury risk, and design sports equipment such as shoes, helmets, and protective gear. It is also used in the rehabilitation of sports injuries and in the development of training programs.

5. Can biomechanics be applied to non-human movements?

Yes, biomechanics can be applied to study the movements of non-human organisms, such as animals, insects, and even plants. It helps us understand how these organisms move and adapt to their environment, and can also provide insights for the development of biomimetic technologies.