Biomechanics Quadratic Equation problem

In summary, using the given values, the time (s) that the projectile is at height 10.5 m when thrown vertically upwards at 20 m/s is approximately 0.619 seconds or 3.45 seconds.
dsm63

Homework Statement

Neglecting the height of release, a ball is thrown vertically upwards at 20 m/s, find:
d) time (s) that the projectile is at height 10.5 m.

V1 = 20m/s
a = -9.81m/s^2
d = 10.5m

Homework Equations

d = v1*t + 1/2 a(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

subsitutiting i can get the formula to:

10.5 = 20t + 1/2(-9.81)t^2
10.5 -20t +4.905t^2 = 0
4.905t^2 - 20t = -10.5
t^2 - 20/4.905 t = -10.5/4.905

However I am rusty on my quadratic equation work and do not know how to solve from here and cannot seem to figure it out? any help would be awesome Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi dsm63! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
dsm63 said:
10.5 -20t +4.905t2 = 0

either use the formula [-b ± √(b2 - 4ac)]/2a,

or complete the square

would i be right to assume that
for

[-b ± √(b2 - 4ac)]/2a

a = 4.905
b = -20
c = 10.5

when using this i get

t = 20 ±√19.7747

t = 24.44 or 15.55

this answer does not make sense? i think i have some something wrong..

using a calculator online i recieved

t = .619 or 3.45s

(just got up :zzz:)
dsm63 said:
would i be right to assume that
for

[-b ± √(b2 - 4ac)]/2a

that's correct :smile:

but you've done -b ± √[(b2 - 4ac)/2a] ! :rolleyes:

I would first commend you for recognizing the need for precise equations and calculations in solving this problem. Your attempt at a solution is a good start, but as you mentioned, you are rusty on your quadratic equation work. Let me guide you through the steps to solve this problem.

First, let's rearrange the equation to the standard quadratic form: ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a = 4.905, b = -20, and c = -10.5.

Next, we can use the quadratic formula to solve for t: t = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. Plugging in the values, we get:

t = (-(-20) ± √((-20)^2 - 4(4.905)(-10.5))) / 2(4.905)
t = (20 ± √(400 + 205.8)) / 9.81
t = (20 ± √(605.8)) / 9.81
t = (20 ± 24.62) / 9.81

This gives us two possible solutions: t = 4.87 seconds or t = -0.43 seconds. Since time cannot be negative in this case, we can discard the negative solution and conclude that the projectile is at a height of 10.5 m after 4.87 seconds.

I hope this helps you better understand how to solve quadratic equations. Keep practicing and you'll get better at it!

1. What is Biomechanics Quadratic Equation problem?

Biomechanics Quadratic Equation problem is a mathematical equation that is used to analyze the motion and forces acting on a human body or any other biological system. It combines principles of physics, mathematics, and biology to understand the movement and stability of living organisms.

2. How is Biomechanics Quadratic Equation problem applied in research?

Biomechanics Quadratic Equation problem is used in various research fields such as sports science, rehabilitation, and ergonomics to analyze and optimize human movement. It is also used in designing medical devices and prosthetics to improve their efficiency and functionality.

3. What are the variables involved in a Biomechanics Quadratic Equation problem?

The variables involved in a Biomechanics Quadratic Equation problem are typically the position, velocity, acceleration, and force of the body or system being studied. These variables can be measured and analyzed to understand the biomechanics of a particular movement or task.

4. How does Biomechanics Quadratic Equation problem help in injury prevention?

By using Biomechanics Quadratic Equation problem, researchers can identify the forces and stresses on different body parts during specific movements. This information can be used to design exercises and training programs that reduce the risk of injury and improve performance.

5. Can Biomechanics Quadratic Equation problem be used to improve athletic performance?

Yes, Biomechanics Quadratic Equation problem can be used to analyze and optimize athletic performance. By studying the forces and movements involved in a particular sport or movement, coaches and trainers can make adjustments to improve an athlete's technique and overall performance.