Biot-Savart current loop equation confusion?

In summary, a field point is located at distance Z from a loop on the Z-axis. Using cylindrical coordinates, the field point is at:dH = I*(rho)d(phi)*a(phi) X (z*az - rho*a(rho)) / 4*pi*((rho)^2 + z^2))(3/2)
neg_ion13
Hello,

I am having a bit of a problem with this classic example. I know about the symmetry but I would like to push through the math anyway. The field point is at distance Z from loop on Z axis. Using cylindrical coordinates I am at:

dH = I*(rho)d(phi)*a(phi) X (z*az - rho*a(rho)) / 4*pi*((rho)^2 + z^2))(3/2)

I know H(rho) doesn't contribute to total H. If I remove rho*a(rho) I have a cross product of az and a(phi) which is a(rho). I don't want to just jump to the numerator being i*(rho)^2*az or use trig substitutions so where is my mistake?

Engineering news on Phys.org
neg_ion13 said:
Hello,

I am having a bit of a problem with this classic example. I know about the symmetry but I would like to push through the math anyway. The field point is at distance Z from loop on Z axis. Using cylindrical coordinates I am at:

dH = I*(rho)d(phi)*a(phi) X (z*az - rho*a(rho)) / 4*pi*((rho)^2 + z^2))(3/2)

I know H(rho) doesn't contribute to total H. If I remove rho*a(rho) I have a cross product of az and a(phi) which is a(rho). I don't want to just jump to the numerator being i*(rho)^2*az or use trig substitutions so where is my mistake?

Could you perhaps post a sketch of the geometry? I think I understand what you are asking, but I'm not sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biot-savart

Also, if you can use Latex to post the equations, it makes it much more readable. There's a toturial on how to post using Latex in the Math & Science Learning Materials forum stickied at the top:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

Or when you post in the Advanced Reply window, there is an equation editor button that looks like a capital sigma near the right of the tool buttons.

Related to Biot-Savart current loop equation confusion?

1. What is the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field generated by a steady current.

2. What is a current loop?

A current loop is a closed path through which an electric current flows, typically in a circular or elliptical shape.

3. How is the magnetic field calculated using the Biot-Savart law?

The magnetic field at a point can be calculated by summing the contributions of each infinitesimal segment of the current loop, taking into account the direction and magnitude of the current and the distance from the point to the segment.

4. What is the significance of the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law is important because it allows us to calculate the magnetic field produced by any current distribution, not just simple geometries like a straight wire. It also serves as the basis for understanding more complex phenomena, such as electromagnetic induction and magnetic materials.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law has numerous applications, including in the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers, as well as in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines. It is also used in geophysics to study the Earth's magnetic field and in aerospace engineering for designing spacecraft propulsion systems.