Biot-Savart Law: infinity wire

In summary, the author is trying to use spherical coordinates, but if the vector is written as: \mathbf{r} = s\hat{s} + \phi \hat{\phi} + z \hat{z}then the s-component is incorrect.
Aroldo
Hey!

1. Homework Statement

One must simply calculate the magnetic field at a distance s to the wire, which carries a steady current [tex]I[/tex]

Homework Equations

Should I write the point vector as:
[tex]\mathbf{r} = s\hat{s} + \phi \hat{\phi} + z \hat{z}[/tex]
or
[tex]\mathbf{r} = s\hat{s} + z \hat{z}[/tex] ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not solving it as the author does. I am trying to use spherical coordinates, therefore I am writing:
[tex]\mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r}) = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\int_{-\infty}^\infty{\frac{d\mathbf{l'} \times (\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r'})}{|(\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r'})|^{3/2}}}[/tex]
[tex] [/tex]

Where:
[tex]d\mathbf{l'} = dz \hat{z} [/tex]
[tex]\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r'} = s \hat{s} + z \hat{z} - z'\hat{z} = s \hat{s} + (z-z')\hat{z}[/tex]

and the answer is fine:
[tex]\mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r}) = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \frac{2 I}{s} \hat{\phi}[/tex]

But, if I consider the vector as:

(it seems to me more general) The answer has a component in the s-direction, which is incorrect.

Please, what is wrong in my reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aroldo said:
But, if I consider the vector as:

(it seems to me more general) The answer has a component in the s-direction, which is incorrect.

If you draw a figure that attempts to show how the three terms ## s\hat{s} + \phi \hat{\phi} + z \hat{z}## combine to give ##\mathbf{r}##, you'll see why the ## \phi \hat{\phi}## term should not be included. It is important to understand the meaning of the unit vector ##\hat{s}##.

Note that in spherical coordinates ##(r, \theta, \phi)##, the position vector is just ##\mathbf{r} = r \hat{r}##. It is not ##\mathbf{r} = r \hat{r} + \theta \hat{\theta}+\phi \hat{\phi}##

Likes Aroldo
TSny said:
If you draw a figure that attempts to show how the three terms ## s\hat{s} + \phi \hat{\phi} + z \hat{z}## combine to give ##\mathbf{r}##, you'll see why the ## \phi \hat{\phi}## term should not be included. It is important to understand the meaning of the unit vector ##\hat{s}##.

Note that in spherical coordinates ##(r, \theta, \phi)##, the position vector is just ##\mathbf{r} = r \hat{r}##. It is not ##\mathbf{r} = r \hat{r} + \theta \hat{\theta}+\phi \hat{\phi}##
Thank you a lot!

1. What is the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is a mathematical equation that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady current. It was discovered by Jean-Baptiste Biot and Félix Savart in the 19th century and is an important tool in electromagnetism.

2. How does the Biot-Savart Law apply to an infinity wire?

The Biot-Savart Law applies to an infinity wire by using the concept of a limit as the distance from the wire approaches infinity. This means that the magnetic field produced by an infinity wire can be calculated using the same equations as a finite wire, but with the distance term approaching infinity.

3. What is an infinity wire?

An infinity wire is a theoretical concept in physics that represents an infinitely long, straight wire. It is used to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of magnetic fields in certain situations.

4. Can the Biot-Savart Law be used for non-infinity wires?

Yes, the Biot-Savart Law can be used to calculate the magnetic field produced by non-infinity wires as well. However, the calculations become more complex and require integration techniques. The concept of an infinity wire is used to make these calculations simpler.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law has many real-world applications in areas such as electromagnets, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic waves, such as in radio and television technology. It is an essential tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of magnetic fields in various situations.