Modelling an interation between two protons

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two protons and their trajectories when they repel each other. The approach of considering one proton as fixed and using conservation of energy and angular momentum is suggested. The possibility of a parabolic or hyperbolic path is also considered, but it is noted that proving this may not be helpful in solving the given question. The suggestion to follow Perok's suggestions in post #2 is made.
kaspis245
Homework Statement
A proton with velocity ##v## is fired from infinity in the direction of another free and stationary proton as shown in the picture. Find the minimum distance between the protons.
Relevant Equations
Coulomb's law: ##F=\frac{1}{4πε_ο}\frac{q^2}{r^2}##
The image given with the problem:
protons.jpg

I found the original problem too difficult to solve, so I thought I'd make it easier by first considering the stationary proton as fixed in place. However, this too proved to be way more difficult than I expected. Here's the updated diagram I used in my attempt to solve it:
protons_updated.jpg

I started by writing the force felt by the moving proton at all times:
$$\mathbf F = \frac{1}{4πε_ο}\frac{q^2}{r^2} \hat {\mathbf r}=\frac{1}{4πε_ο}\frac{q^2}{r^3}(L\hat {\mathbf x}+R\hat {\mathbf y})$$

From this point forward I'm struggling to find any conservation law or point of equilibrium that I could use. I know that conservation of momentum yields
$$\Delta p = -mv \hat {\mathbf x} + \int \mathbf F \, dt $$

unfortunately, I don't see how's that possible to solve or how does that even help me to arrive at the solution.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kaspis245 said:
Homework Statement:: A proton with velocity ##v## is fired from infinity in the direction of another free and stationary proton as shown in the picture. Find the minimum distance between the protons.
Relevant Equations:: Coulomb's law: ##F=\frac{1}{4πε_ο}\frac{q^2}{r^2}##

The image given with the problem:
View attachment 265816
I found the original problem too difficult to solve, so I thought I'd make it easier by first considering the stationary proton as fixed in place. However, this too proved to be way more difficult than I expected. Here's the updated diagram I used in my attempt to solve it:
View attachment 265819

I started by writing the force felt by the moving proton at all times:
$$\mathbf F = \frac{1}{4πε_ο}\frac{q^2}{r^2} \hat {\mathbf r}=\frac{1}{4πε_ο}\frac{q^2}{r^3}(L\hat {\mathbf x}+R\hat {\mathbf y})$$

From this point forward I'm struggling to find any conservation law or point of equilibrium that I could use. I know that conservation of momentum yields
$$\Delta p = -mv \hat {\mathbf x} + \int \mathbf F \, dt $$

unfortunately, I don't see how's that possible to solve or how does that even help me to arrive at the solution.

Does anybody have any ideas?
If you assume one charge is fixed, you can use conservation of energy and angular momentum.

If you assume both charges can move, then consider the collision in the centre of momentum frame of reference.

kaspis245 said:
Homework Statement:: A proton with velocity ##v## is fired from infinity in the direction of another free and stationary proton as shown in the picture.

any ideas?
Consider what the trajectories are for two bodies attracting by an inverse square law. What does that suggest if they repel?

haruspex said:
Consider what the trajectories are for two bodies attracting by an inverse square law. What does that suggest if they repel?

Intuition suggests that it's a parabolic path, but I don't know how to express it.

kaspis245 said:
Intuition suggests that it's a parabolic path, but I don't know how to express it.
The key, as always, is conservation of energy and angular momentum.

kaspis245 said:
Parabolas have one fewer degrees of freedom than ellipses. Think of another conic.

haruspex said:
Parabolas have one fewer degrees of freedom than ellipses. Think of another conic.
Well then, I suppose it's a hyperbola. Is there a way I can formally prove this?

kaspis245 said:
Well then, I suppose it's a hyperbola. Is there a way I can formally prove this?
Of course, but it probably isn't that helpful in solving the given question. Just thought it might help you see what is going on.
Why not follow Perok's suggestions in post #2?

1. What is the purpose of modelling an interaction between two protons?

The purpose of modelling an interaction between two protons is to understand the behavior and properties of these particles when they come into contact with each other. This can help us gain insights into the fundamental forces that govern the universe and can also aid in developing new technologies and applications.

2. How is the interaction between two protons modelled?

The interaction between two protons is modelled using mathematical equations and simulations based on the principles of quantum mechanics and particle physics. These models take into account the mass, charge, and spin of the protons, as well as the forces that act between them.

3. What are some factors that can affect the interaction between two protons?

Some factors that can affect the interaction between two protons include their distance from each other, their relative velocities, and the presence of other particles or fields in their surroundings. The strength of the forces between the protons can also vary depending on the energy levels involved.

4. What are the different types of interactions that can occur between two protons?

The two main types of interactions that can occur between two protons are electromagnetic and nuclear interactions. Electromagnetic interactions involve the exchange of photons between the protons, while nuclear interactions involve the exchange of other particles such as mesons or gluons.

5. How do scientists use the results of modelling interactions between protons?

The results of modelling interactions between protons are used to make predictions and test theories about the behavior of particles and the fundamental forces of nature. These models also play a crucial role in the design and development of experiments to study proton interactions and in the interpretation of experimental data.