Particle motion in a magnetic field

In summary, the equation of motion can be integrated with respect to time and with the introduction of a basis, the velocity can be represented as a combination of a circular component and a constant component. The constant component may contribute to helical motion when adding weight back into the equation.
etotheipi
Homework Statement
A particle of mass ##m##, charge ##q## and position ##\mathbf{r}(t)## moves in a magnetic field ##\mathbf{B}## pointing horizontally, and a uniform gravitational field ##\mathbf{g}## pointing vertically downward.

Derive that the particle undergoes helical motion with constant drift ##\bot## to ##\mathbf{B}##.
Relevant Equations
N/A
The equation of motion can be integrated w.r.t. ##t## since ##\frac{d}{dt} (\mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{B}) = \dot{\mathbf{r}} \times \mathbf{B} + \mathbf{0}## $$\int (q\dot{\mathbf{r}} \times \mathbf{B} + m\mathbf{g}) dt = \int m\ddot{\mathbf{r}}(t) dt$$ $$\frac{q}{m} \mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{B} + t\mathbf{g} + \mathbf{c} = \dot{\mathbf{r}}$$ I thought it might help to put a basis to it, so I let ##\mathbf{B} = B\mathbf{\hat{x}}## and ##\mathbf{g} = -g\mathbf{\hat{y}}##, so that $$\dot{\mathbf{r}} = \frac{qB}{m} \mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{\hat{x}} -gt \mathbf{\hat{y}} + \mathbf{c}$$The ##\frac{qB}{m} \mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{\hat{x}}## is a component of the velocity perpendicular to the ##\mathbf{x}## axis which I assume contributes to the 'circular' part of the motion. It's not obvious to me what the ##\mathbf{c} - gt\mathbf{\hat{y}}## component of velocity will cause. I don't think I can integrate this equation again either.

I wondered whether anyone could point me in the right direction (vector pun not intended)? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Replusz
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the reply! It's easier to visualise without the constant term, so yes let's say we boost into another frame with ##\dot{\mathbf{r}}' = \dot{\mathbf{r}} - \mathbf{c}## so that we are left with ##\dot{\mathbf{r}'} = \frac{qB}{m} \mathbf{r}' \times \mathbf{\hat{x}} -gt \mathbf{\hat{y}}##. In the absence of the weight, ##\dot{\mathbf{r}}' \cdot \ddot{\mathbf{r}}' = 0## so we would end up with helical motion.

With the weight added back in, conceptually I can see why it will be helical motion with constant vertical translation, though I wonder if there is any way of deriving the equation of the helix to show this?

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry about previous post, i completely misread your question

Replusz said:
sorry about previous post, i completely misread your question

Ah no worries, I thought it was useful :smile:. Didn't even notice!

• Haha
Likes Replusz

What is particle motion in a magnetic field?

Particle motion in a magnetic field refers to the movement of charged particles when they are exposed to a magnetic field. The magnetic field exerts a force on the particles, causing them to move in a curved path.

How does a magnetic field affect particle motion?

A magnetic field affects particle motion by exerting a force on charged particles. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the velocity of the particle, causing the particle to move in a circular or helical path.

What factors influence the trajectory of a particle in a magnetic field?

The trajectory of a particle in a magnetic field is influenced by the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the charge and mass of the particle, and its initial velocity. These factors determine the magnitude and direction of the force on the particle, which in turn affects its trajectory.

What is the difference between a positive and negative particle in a magnetic field?

A positive particle, such as a proton, will experience a force in one direction in a magnetic field, while a negative particle, such as an electron, will experience a force in the opposite direction. This is due to the fact that positive and negative charges have opposite directions of motion in a magnetic field.

What are some real-life applications of particle motion in a magnetic field?

Particle motion in a magnetic field has many practical applications, such as in particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It is also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in space, such as in the Earth's magnetic field and the Van Allen radiation belts.