BJT Circuit - Determine region of operation

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Blehs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bjt Circuit
In summary, the conversation is discussing a circuit with a PNP transistor and determining its region of operation. By analyzing the voltage drops and biases between different terminals, the conclusion is drawn that the circuit is in cut off mode, where there is no conventional current flowing through the base. This leads to a discussion on how to properly determine the direction of current in the base and prepare for similar questions in an upcoming exam.
Blehs

Homework Statement

See the jpeg image for the circuit. Question is simply determine the region of operation.

BJT_Circuit.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is cut off, but i don't really get how it is.

Looking at the circuit, emitter voltage Ve should be higher than base voltage Vb (simply because the base current has to go through a resistor Rb). Through this reasoning i say that Veb = Ve-Vb>0 . This means emitter-base junction is forward biased. Voltage at the collector Vc must be higher than Vb because there is a voltage drop between the base and collector terminal. Hence Vbc = Vb-Vc<0 and collector-base junction is reverse biased

That information suggests the circuit is in forward active operation. However i noticed one strange thing - the direction of the base current is going into the base (due to Ve > Vb). However from my notes it says a PNP transistor in forward active operation should have conventional current going out of the base.

So i must be analyzing the circuit wrong...help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Blehs said:

Homework Statement

See the jpeg image for the circuit. Question is simply determine the region of operation.

View attachment 52778

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is cut off, but i don't really get how it is.

Looking at the circuit, emitter voltage Ve should be higher than base voltage Vb (simply because the base current has to go through a resistor Rb). Through this reasoning i say that Veb = Ve-Vb>0 . This means emitter-base junction is forward biased. Voltage at the collector Vc must be higher than Vb because there is a voltage drop between the base and collector terminal. Hence Vbc = Vb-Vc<0 and collector-base junction is reverse biased

That information suggests the circuit is in forward active operation. However i noticed one strange thing - the direction of the base current is going into the base (due to Ve > Vb). However from my notes it says a PNP transistor in forward active operation should have conventional current going out of the base.

So i must be analyzing the circuit wrong...help please?

I believe the part of your quote that I bolded is the key.

Ah ok so when i assumed that conventional current was going OUT OF the base, the results seem to make sense and point towards the BJT being in cut off.

However my real concern is - how am i meant to determine that current is in fact going into the base? Was it really just as simple as

1) assume forward region of operation
2) in forward active region current goes INTO base, so its incorrect
3) assume cut off
4) everything adds up so therefore its cut off

Got an exam coming up soon and id like to prepare a good methodical way to approach questions like this

The point berkeman was alluding to is that the circuit does not PROVIDE for (conventional) current flowing out of the base. No base current, no emitter or collector current (ignoring reverse-biased b-c junction leakage current).

Based on the information provided, it seems like the circuit is indeed in forward active operation. This is because the emitter-base junction is forward biased and the collector-base junction is reverse biased, which is characteristic of this region of operation.

As for the direction of the base current, it is important to note that the direction of conventional current is opposite to the direction of electron flow. In this case, the base current is flowing into the base, but the electrons are actually flowing out of the base. This is because the base terminal is connected to a positive voltage source, and electrons flow from negative to positive.

Therefore, it is possible for a PNP transistor in forward active operation to have conventional current flowing into the base. This is because the base current is actually carrying electrons out of the base, but in the opposite direction of the conventional current.

In conclusion, the circuit is indeed in forward active operation and the direction of base current is not an issue. It is important to remember that conventional current is opposite to the direction of electron flow.

1. What is a BJT circuit and how does it work?

A BJT (Bipolar Junction Transistor) circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses a bipolar transistor as the main component. It works by controlling the flow of current between two terminals (collector and emitter) using a third terminal (base).

2. What are the different regions of operation for a BJT circuit?

The three main regions of operation for a BJT circuit are:

• Cut-off: No current flows between the collector and emitter when the base-emitter junction is reverse biased.
  • Active: The base-emitter junction is forward biased, allowing current to flow from the collector to emitter.
  • Saturation: The base-emitter junction is highly forward biased, allowing maximum current to flow from the collector to emitter.

3. How do you determine the region of operation for a BJT circuit?

The region of operation for a BJT circuit can be determined by analyzing the voltages and currents at the base, collector, and emitter terminals. By comparing these values with the transistor's specifications, the circuit's operating region can be identified.

4. What is the importance of determining the region of operation for a BJT circuit?

Determining the region of operation for a BJT circuit is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the circuit and ensure that it is operating within its safe limits. This information is crucial for designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.

5. How does the region of operation affect the performance of a BJT circuit?

The region of operation can significantly affect the performance of a BJT circuit. For example, in the active region, the transistor acts as an amplifier, while in the saturation region, the transistor acts as a switch. By controlling the region of operation, we can modify the circuit's behavior to suit our needs.