Black Bodies, the UV Catastrophe, and Plank's Quantum assertion

In summary: This is why the UV Catastrophe was considered a problem by classical physics: because if black bodies really did emit infinite amounts of energy at high frequencies, then they would be able to damage things like windows and skin.
joshgreaves332
What exactly did Max Planck assert regarding the discrete quantum nature of energy that was so significant to the observations obtained of black bodies, which contradicted the classical predictions of the time? i.e. the UV catastrophe?

My overall understanding is flawed I wonder if you could right me:

Incident radiation of a range of frequencies heats up the black body to thermal eq with the environment.

A given atom inside the box will begin to emit radiation energy at a range of frequencies.

At 1 given frequency, there could be a number of standing waves (or modes) and this number of possible modes increases quadratically with frequency? (correct?, why is this?)

The energy radiated is stored in these modes/standing waves, why? By this I mean to say, why was it concluded from classical physics that the energy should be proportional to the frequency?

This was theorized to increase constantly leading to the UV catastrophe; why is this not the case exactly? I understand there is only a certain amount of energy that can be emitted so, is it just that it follows a probability distribution, falling off at the higher frequencies? (Why?)

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I said: "why was it concluded from classical physics that the energy should be proportional to the frequency?"

What I am struggling with is why was it ever postulated that infinite energy would be released at higher frequencies? Why wasnt it said that 'In order to emit higher frequencies, a higher energy would be required'. I don't understand the classical physics assertion and why the UV Catastrophe was ever considered. What am I missing?!

Have you seen a derivation of the Rayleigh-Jeans law? (the "classical" blackbody radiation formula)

for example, http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mod6.html#c6

(and the links from that page)

It would help to indicate what level of math you know.

joshgreaves332 said:
"why was it concluded from classical physics that the energy should be proportional to the frequency?"

It wasn't; that was what Planck's quantum hypothesis said. See below.

joshgreaves332 said:
What I am struggling with is why was it ever postulated that infinite energy would be released at higher frequencies?

That's not quite what classical physics said. What classical physics said was this: a black body will, on average, radiate an equal amount of energy in every available frequency. But there are an infinity of available frequencies, so according to classical physics, a black body should radiate an infinite amount of energy (the infinite number of frequences times the amount of energy per frequency, which is the same for all frequencies). Of course, the black body doesn't have an infinite amount of energy to radiate, so what this is actually telling us is that classical physics has *no* consistent way of describing radiation from a black body.

Planck's hypothesis was that a black body will *not* radiate an equal amount of energy in every available frequency. Instead, he hypothesized that a black body radiates energy in "quanta" which have finite energy, and the energy of a quantum goes up with the frequency. This makes it less likely that a black body can radiate energy at higher frequencies, because it has to radiate the energy a full quantum at a time (whereas, according to classical physics, energy at any frequency can be radiated in arbitrarily small amounts). That allows the total energy radiated by the black body to be finite.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a "black body"?

A black body is an object that absorbs all incoming radiation and emits radiation at all wavelengths.

2. What is the UV Catastrophe?

The UV Catastrophe refers to the discrepancy between the predicted energy distribution of a black body at high frequencies (short wavelengths) and the actual observed energy distribution. According to classical physics, a black body should emit infinite energy at high frequencies, which is not observed in reality.

3. What is Plank's Quantum assertion?

Plank's Quantum assertion states that the energy emitted by a black body is not continuous, but instead occurs in discrete packets or "quanta". This was a revolutionary idea at the time as classical physics had assumed that energy was continuous.

4. How did Plank's Quantum assertion resolve the UV Catastrophe?

Plank's Quantum assertion provided a mathematical model for the energy distribution of a black body that matched with experimental observations at all frequencies. By introducing the concept of quanta, Plank was able to explain the limitation of energy emission at high frequencies and resolve the UV Catastrophe.

5. Why is the study of black bodies and the UV Catastrophe important?

The study of black bodies and the UV Catastrophe was a crucial turning point in the development of quantum mechanics. It challenged the established principles of classical physics and led to the development of new theories and concepts that have had a significant impact on our understanding of the physical world. It also has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, thermodynamics, and electronics.