Black cube, maximal and minimal value of equilibrium temperature T

In summary, a black cube is an object that absorbs all wavelengths of light and appears black to the human eye. The maximal value of equilibrium temperature T is the highest possible temperature an object can reach while in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings, while the minimal value is the lowest possible temperature. A black cube can affect equilibrium temperature T by absorbing and retaining more heat from its surroundings. In some cases, the maximal and minimal values of equilibrium temperature T can be the same, when the object is in a state of thermal equilibrium with its surroundings.
andrea1313
Homework Statement
Consider a black cube which is made
from a perfectly heat-conducting material. A parallel beam of
light with intensity I (W/m2) falls onto this cube. The equilibrium
temperature T of the cube depends on its orientation;
find the minimal and maximal values of T (Tmin and Tmax,
respectively).
Relevant Equations
Stefan Boltzmann law
So i had this problem and I want a rigourous solution. The answer should be : Tmin=(I/sigma)^(1/4)
and Tmax=(sqrt(3I)/sigma)^1/4

Physics news on Phys.org
The power radiated is going to be equal to the power incident. Then think of how the normal vectors will behave when a single face of the cube, two faces, and three faces are pointing in the direction of the light. Also, it looks that the answers presented are for a single face of the cube and not the whole cube itself.

How i use vectors, i dont't get it?

1. What is the significance of the black cube in relation to equilibrium temperature T?

The black cube is a theoretical construct used to represent a body with a perfectly absorbing and emitting surface. It is often used in thermodynamics to study the behavior of idealized systems.

2. How does the maximal value of equilibrium temperature T differ from the minimal value?

The maximal value of equilibrium temperature T represents the highest possible temperature that can be achieved by a system at equilibrium, while the minimal value represents the lowest possible temperature. These values are determined by the properties of the system and its surroundings.

3. Can the equilibrium temperature T of a system ever exceed the maximal value?

No, the maximal value of equilibrium temperature T is the upper limit for a system at equilibrium. Any temperature above this value would result in a violation of the laws of thermodynamics.

4. How does the black cube affect the equilibrium temperature T of a system?

The black cube is a theoretical construct and does not directly affect the equilibrium temperature T of a system. However, it is often used as a model to study the behavior of idealized systems and can help us understand the relationship between temperature and energy transfer in a system.

5. Is there a way to calculate the equilibrium temperature T of a system with a black cube?

Yes, the equilibrium temperature T can be calculated using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which relates the temperature of a black body to its energy emission. However, in real-world systems, there may be other factors that affect the equilibrium temperature, such as heat transfer and external influences, making it more complex to calculate.